Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
    So what do you think keeps him, and what do you think is the reason to cut bait? Two tournament appearances? One year with a deep run? With that last paragraph, big expectations?
    I would say the following are keys to show success:
    • Be able to beat every team in the conference. Not every time, but Tech much be able to compete and have a chance to win EVERY night. This season was a team that won all the games they should but barely won anything they were not expected to win (one win each over MSU, BSU, LSSU). The biggest need is the ability to score 3-4 goals EVERY night. Tech only lost two games when they scored three goals. Number of goals Tech scored in their losses: 0,1,0,3,3,2,1,1,1,1,2,1,1 See a pattern?
    • Position the Huskies to be considered for an NCAA tourney birth EVERY season. That means no lower than a 3rd place finish in the CCHA.
    • Secure home ice for CCHA playoffs EVERY season. This is an automatic byproduct of the above goal and makes your path to post season success that much easier.
    • Obtain some post season success. The one post season tourney was essentially the previous staff's team. Winning the GLI is nice, but in the national picture doesn't mean much other than a couple NC wins. Instead of the GLI being the big series of the year, it should be every time we play Mankato. They are the gatekeepers of the conference until someone knocks them off. Those are the games Tech should be jumping out of their skates to play. Your chance to beat the team that has proven themselves to be the best over and over and over.
    • Making the NCAA tourney field EVERY season should be a cornerstone goal of Huskies Hockey. That's essentially saying you want to be one of the top 25% teams in the country. That's not that lofty of a goal.
    • Winning the WCHA should be a cornerstone goal of Huskies Hockey EVERY season. Even if you fall slightly short, you'll very likely find yourself in the NCAA tourney.

What is missing from the press release is ANYONE saying the Huskies want to compete for a National Championship and win a 4th title. If that isn't the ultimate goal of the program, then why are we playing hockey at the highest level? Division II/III is the place for teams just happy to be on the ice and entertain the locals. If Providence, Union, U-Mass, Yale, etc can win it all... why NOT the Huskies? If you can't even say it, you'll never achieve it.

Originally posted by StevieYnot View Post
    Last 4 years league standings:
    5th of 10
    6th of 10
    6th of 10
    5th of 8
    That's four years of not moving forward and my money is on St Thomas >> UAH. So Tech has to get better next season just to hold 5th in the eight team CCHA.
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 04-20-2021, 09:55 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• I guess at this point I would rather doubt the coach and he prove me wrong than somehow get excited about the next 3 years and being let down. As a potential season ticket buyer, nothing about the style of play gets me excited about watching them in person once we're able to.

I watched that style of play with JR. Wolves/Pio's games were more fun to watch.

Comment

• Congrats to Joe on getting the extension. Their first year he, the staff, and team did a great job. After that, we entered a full rebuild. They need to figure out how to get players to Houghton that can score some goals. A 3 goal for a game average isn't too much to ask. Every other stat is great for this team. Hopefully we can get the guys to Houghton for part of the summer to get bigger, faster, stronger.

We better be a top 2 team in the CCHA next year. Looking at the transfers, https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...transfer-board, BGSU has been gutted, BSU lost Driscoll, LSSU lost some of their top players to transfer and Mitens went Pro. Only Tech, NMU, and MnSU haven't had significant departures. Unless St Thomas signs/recruits like crazy, I suspect they will be on par with FSU next year. If Tech can't get it done this year, that seat is going to be awful warm.

Comment

• "That little man" from NMU - Griffin Loughran is in the transfer portal.

He can transfer without penalty - and that may be the first reference to him where that phrase is accurate.

Comment

• I would be curious what other Tech fans would think about G.L. in Tech colors. When he played for NMU I don't think he had many (if any) friends in Houghton. However that view can change when the player is wearing your team colors. Suddenly that "***hat" becomes a "gritty player" and a "tough nosed guy" who plays in the "hard ice." In all his time behind the bench as the HC of the Huskies, Joe has NEVER had a guy who averaged a point per game. G.L. has done that over the last two seasons and the Huskies need offense. If you can control him, he would be a huge addition. Even if his production drops off 20% in Joe's D-first system, he still could potentially be the leading scorer for the Huskies. I'm not above taking handouts from NMU if it makes the Huskies better. We already took one of their assistant coaches and made him the leader of our program, why not one of their top scorers?
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              I would be curious what other Tech fans would think about G.L. in Tech colors. When he played for NMU I don't think he had many (if any) friends in Houghton. However that view can change when the player is wearing your team colors. Suddenly that "***hat" becomes a "gritty player" and a "tough nosed guy" who plays in the "hard ice." In all his time behind the bench as the HC of the Huskies, Joe has NEVER had a guy who averaged a point per game. G.L. has done that over the last two seasons and the Huskies need offense. If you can control him, he would be a huge addition. Even if his production drops off 20% in Joe's D-first system, he still could potentially be the leading scorer for the Huskies. I'm not above taking handouts from NMU if it makes the Huskies better. We already took one of their assistant coaches and made him the leader of our program, why not one of their top scorers?
              My concern is his time in the box and specifically his dirty plays/majors/game misconducts. If he had a lot of effort minor penalties that would be one thing. Could he help our offense, yes. Would his overall game be neutral/hurt Tech, probably as he averages a penalty (2+ min) a game. Would he come to Tech or is he looking for a different league?

I see we picked up a transfer from BU.
              https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...atthew-quercia
              He's a big guy 6'3" 203 lbs. Think he helps?

Comment

Three year extension for Coach Joe.
                One of those rolling handshake three year contracts like his mentor had in MQT?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I would be curious what other Tech fans would think about G.L. in Tech colors. When he played for NMU I don't think he had many (if any) friends in Houghton. However that view can change when the player is wearing your team colors. Suddenly that "***hat" becomes a "gritty player" and a "tough nosed guy" who plays in the "hard ice." In all his time behind the bench as the HC of the Huskies, Joe has NEVER had a guy who averaged a point per game. G.L. has done that over the last two seasons and the Huskies need offense. If you can control him, he would be a huge addition. Even if his production drops off 20% in Joe's D-first system, he still could potentially be the leading scorer for the Huskies. I'm not above taking handouts from NMU if it makes the Huskies better. We already took one of their assistant coaches and made him the leader of our program, why not one of their top scorers?
                  Because he's not controllable. Suspending him didn't work. Benching him didn't work. He is what he is.

When Sorenson took 5 minute majors, it was because he wasn't smart or used bad technique. When Loughran took them, they were because he was a hothead with malice. The spear in the playoffs? Malice. The head contact on Halonen? Hothead. He got 19 minutes for causing the brawl at the end of the 3-2 game at NMU in 2019. All told, his total vs Tech is 10 minors, 2 majors, one 10 minute misconduct, 2 game misconducts, and a retroactive one game suspension.

Even if he had a million dollar game, he's still got a five cent head.

Comment

• This is not about any Tech player but super high scorers in general. MY GF is from NYC, so one time she was coming and we went to a Red Wings game vs the Rangers. I'm pretty sure at the time they had Corey Perry or some other high-scoring guy. He never ever came back further than the red line. Never once. Same with several high-scoring college players I could name. I just wonder if maybe that's on purpose. I guess what I'm saying is, those guys score a lot of goals but it comes at a price.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I would be curious what other Tech fans would think about G.L. in Tech colors.
                      We lived through many years of Tech having poor skaters and good fighters. I don’t want anything to do with that period again. I don’t mind the occasional overly aggressive play getting two. But he has never been coachable. It drags the whole team into Slapshot mode. Why would we go there again?
                      Go Huskies!

Comment

• Matt Quercia confirms the rumor that he's transferring to Tech from Boston University.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COBsXr8hmdY/

From my research, it appears he will be the first ever Husky hockey player from Massachusetts.
                        Last edited by redwing61; 04-24-2021, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                          Matt Quercia confirms the rumor that he's transferring to Tech from Boston University.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COBsXr8hmdY/

From my research, it appears he will be the first ever Husky hockey player from Massachusetts.

Deron Barton, Acton-Boxborough (MA) High School ('80), was probably first.
                          At least, he was mentioned in press reports from the MTU 1980-81 Season as John MacInnes' first recruit from Massachusetts.
                          Deron transferred to Merrimack (while they were still NCAA Div II) after his freshman year at Tech, sitting out the 1981-82 season.
                          He was their leading scorer in 1984-85.
                          He is currently the Head Coach at Falmouth (ME) High School.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...5/deron-barton
                          https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...php?pid=200522

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyGold View Post
                            At least, he was mentioned in press reports from the MTU 1980-81 Season as John MacInnes' first recruit from Massachusetts.
                            Good find, thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyGold View Post

Deron transferred to Merrimack (while they were still NCAA Div II) after his freshman year at Tech, sitting out the 1981-82 season.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...php?pid=200522

This now depends on whether or not you have to play a game to be considered a Tech player. Deron Barton never dressed for one while he was at Michigan Tech.

Comment

• Interesting article here
                                https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/70...state-the-ccha

Comment

Working...
                                X