Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I would have liked it if the REfs had called it tighter. too much stuff gotten away with. especially hooking and interference.
    I thought the PP was weak. we just hold on to the puck wayyyyy too long. Mankato doesn't. we should copy them. Also we have to get better and quit with these big mistakes that give teams odd man rushes. Lake State did what they should do but we didn't play consistently enough. Give them credit they got in the way of our offense. That 4 across the blue line was effective. I've been worried about the defense for a while as we get beat more often than we should.
    I don't think our D is the problem. We only gave up 2 goals on 20 shots. One of those goals was a bad bounce. How many times have we said in the WCHA the first to three usually wins?

I would argue our problem is we can't consistently score. You're not going to win many hockey games when you only score one goal. We tend to make opposing net-minders look like Richter Award contenders. It is hard to blame anyone because we generated 36 shots and a lot of those were scoring chances. By the metrics, the system appears to be putting players in a position to score, we just aren't scoring. What is Joe's metric for an acceptable goalie, 1 goal on 8 scoring chances? If we assume half of the shots on goal were scoring chances (18) and we use the one out of 8 for a good goalie, we should have at least 2 goals. We are missing a consistent goal score/line who can will a puck into the net when needed. When we have had our best success when we had that kind of line. Unfortunately they don't come around every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I don't think our D is the problem. We only gave up 2 goals on 20 shots. One of those goals was a bad bounce. How many times have we said in the WCHA the first to three usually wins?

I would argue our problem is we can't consistently score. You're not going to win many hockey games when you only score one goal. We tend to make opposing net-minders look like Richter Award contenders. It is hard to blame anyone because we generated 36 shots and a lot of those were scoring chances. By the metrics, the system appears to be putting players in a position to score, we just aren't scoring. What is Joe's metric for an acceptable goalie, 1 goal on 8 scoring chances? If we assume half of the shots on goal were scoring chances (18) and we use the one out of 8 for a good goalie, we should have at least 2 goals. We are missing a consistent goal score/line who can will a puck into the net when needed. When we have had our best success when we had that kind of line. Unfortunately they don't come around every year.
      In fairness to Tech, Lake State's goaltender Mitens is very good. He's top 7 nationally in both GAA and SV%.

Comment

• The bottom line, we shot 1 for 48. And went 0 for 5 on the power play.

Every goaltender in the league is good. Our volume of shots generated from the point, with no deflection or screen is too high. Gotta create backdoor opportunities, and work better down low for the few rebounds. I noticed our PP sets up with four guys at or above the face off circle. That will generate a lot of shots, but too many are easy saves.

I thought our intensity was real good through 2. We did much better tonight on the boards, and forechecking was real good as well. The third goal just took the wind out of the sails in the 3rd.
        Go Huskies!

Comment

• Agreed. we didn't come out for the third motivated very well and they did. Second, and for a while now, our goaltending has been pretty average. Third the pp was sub par, again and we lost too many important faceoffs. We need to be careful or this will be a second division finish.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• well, don’t like the first period scoreboard, but....I like the driving to the net. Halonen got it past Driscoll cutting across the crease, and hit the post. Gaine and Mosley working to create some confusion and misdirection in front. I’d rather see a dozen of those fail, than a dozen SOG with Driscoll 15’ out of the net cutting the angle...
            Go Huskies!

Comment

• Well, I thought Datema played well. Worthy of more ice time for sure.

This was a tough loss, because I really think we were the better team on the ice.

Hopefully our coaches will recognize 1 for 34 shooting is not gonna win games. Simply throwing pucks at the net will not work well with a hot (?) goalie. Nearly every odd man rush resulted in a (one) wide angle SOG, easy save. Making them look good. You need to make him move, or your making him look good. All night long.
              Go Huskies!

Comment

• I think the idea was to throw the puck in and get a rebound. Direct shots won't score but rebounds will.
                I think that, and i'm no expert, but playing teams like this, whose whole game plan is to get the lead and shut you down, you absolutely have to score first. We have not been doing that. Scoring on them is a lot easier if they are tied or behind.
                Second, we make a lot of blunders. Not just mistakes or errors, blunders. Against Ferris we got away with them. Now we can't. We at least have to limit the blunders until we have the lead.
                I thought though tonight we played better. Faceoffs were better, goaltending was better, pp was better, overall better. But playing from behind is so much harder. I did not think Datema was anything special.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• yeah, I understand the thought of getting rebounds. Driscoll didn’t give up many that he saw coming.

I thought our defense was pretty good. At least good enough to win. The 2-1 game winner was a mistake for sure. I agree with your assessment of 5. I just thought he played better than my last recollection. I am just happy they are developing. Its a nice situation for Tech that good players are fighting for ice time.

I am looking forward to what Joe says. I am getting more inclined to believe he needs to fix the goal production (eg control of games, without putting the puck in the net). Our style of offense needs to adapt. No more of the ’they are not buying in...’
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

• Bemidji punished two mistakes. Gotz had bad footwork to allow the initial shot on the first goal, if he just turns his skates to the outside instead of picking up his feet and shuffling he easily cuts off the shooter. On the second goal, there are three players on the boards 10 feet apart and no one gets the puck, that led to the odd-man rush. Datema was off balance from the hop, otherwise you'd want him to just take away the pass so Sinclair can cut the angle on the shooter. Instead, he had to stay back and expose the top corners more.

It all comes back to the over simplified observation that Bemidji is a team that you cannot allow to score the first goal. They reminded me of the 1990s New Jersey Devils. They used the third guy high to perfection.

​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Bemidji punished two mistakes.

It all comes back to the over simplified observation that Bemidji is a team that you cannot allow to score the first goal. They reminded me of the 1990s New Jersey Devils. They used the third guy high to perfection.

​​​​​
                      Agree. I still think the defense was pretty solid. We gave up a few ugly turnovers, and Mark bailed us out a couple times. But overall, they were good enough for sure. We may lose a few games when we give up 2.

But overall, we can not / will not win many games where we only get one goal. I do not think this is just a falling behind Bemidji problem... I am just frustrated because I feel like we have a very good team, lots of skill players that should be putting these teams away.
                      Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                        But overall, we can not / will not win many games where we only get one goal. I do not think this is just a falling behind Bemidji problem... I am just frustrated because I feel like we have a very good team, lots of skill players that should be putting these teams away.
                        To win in the WCHA the same rule applies, first to three usually wins. Unless our goalies stand on their head every night, we aren't winning with one goal.

The lack of goal production has been a problem for Tech for a while. It isn't fair to pin so much pressure on our D/goalie to have a shutout every game to give us a chance to win. When all of our offense comes from 1 guy, that is not a recipe for success. How many times have we had a half open net, missed the puck, shot it wide, missed the pass or shot it high, or took too much time? They are so close.

Comment

• Much needed win over Lake State today. If my math is correct only 6th place Bemidji could still top Mankato for the league title because they are so far behind with only 8 conference games played.

Unfortunately in just the span of one week, the Huskies went from controlling their own destiny to win the MacNaughton to now just hanging on for a chance at home ice for the first round. Realistically, Tech will have to sweep Northern to have a shot at home ice this year. This will put Tech 2 pts ahead of NMU and NMU's conference season is over after this weekend. With the way Mankato is playing this year, any points taken in Mankato would be huge. Tech will go there the final weekend of the year trying to secure home ice. Big games, but too bad they won't be for the Cup.

LSSU has four conference games left (BSU, FSU) and is 2 pts ahead of Tech.
                          Bemidji has six conference games left (UAH, LSSU, Mankato) and is currently 2 pts behind Tech.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Much needed win over Lake State today. If my math is correct only 6th place Bemidji could still top Mankato for the league title because they are so far behind with only 8 conference games played.

Unfortunately in just the span of one week, the Huskies went from controlling their own destiny to win the MacNaughton to now just hanging on for a chance at home ice for the first round. Realistically, Tech will have to sweep Northern to have a shot at home ice this year. This will put Tech 2 pts ahead of NMU and NMU's conference season is over after this weekend. With the way Mankato is playing this year, any points taken in Mankato would be huge. Tech will go there the final weekend of the year trying to secure home ice. Big games, but too bad they won't be for the Cup.

LSSU has four conference games left (BSU, FSU) and is 2 pts ahead of Tech.
                            Bemidji has six conference games left (UAH, LSSU, Mankato) and is currently 2 pts behind Tech.
                            Should be a great series this weekend with both schools fighting for home ice!
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Any season with 3 weekend sweeps of NMU has to go down as a success.
                              Go Huskies!

Comment

• Any word about Misiak? That looked like a broken wrist. I really hope he is ok; it will help his career to be able to sign and play a bit this spring...
                                Last edited by Redridge; 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM.
                                Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X