Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bring on the Mildcats with their poor little man.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      Bring on the Mildcats with their poor little man.
      don't forget grandpa tony...

      Comment


      • I have to agree with the coach to a certain extent. There is definitely, if not an outright bias, then a tilt, which might be: well, Houghton is a tough place to play, so we are going to bend over backward to give the other team every opportunity. I do agree that tonight they missed several especially the too many men call!! and a penalty shot on that play was not called for. I also like that the coach stood up for the players like that.
        The forth line is really coming on and the 3ed defensive pair is playing a lot better as well.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

        It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

        Comment


        • Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I have to agree with the coach to a certain extent. There is definitely, if not an outright bias, then a tilt, which might be: well, Houghton is a tough place to play, so we are going to bend over backward to give the other team every opportunity. I do agree that tonight they missed several especially the too many men call!! and a penalty shot on that play was not called for. I also like that the coach stood up for the players like that.
          The forth line is really coming on and the 3ed defensive pair is playing a lot better as well.
          Yes, I don't know what it is with the officials and not liking Tech. This could be homer eyes, I don't think we have anyone would would qualify as a dirty player. I don't get it. Hopefully we will have different officiating leadership next year.

          Even though this game went to OT, I thought we played a lot better. It sounded like each line was doing something positive more often than not. If we can play like this, we are solidly in the same conversation for "home playoff." (Whatever that means or would look like this year.)

          Comment


          • I'm sure Joe's personality has nothing to do with the issues he's having with officiating. It's not like he's got an established history of tactless comments to press, players, other coaches, and officials. ;-)

            Comment


            • Someone needs to escort the “poor little man” to the emergency room, imho.

              Comment


              • There's not a team in this league that doesn't have a gripe with the refs. He needs to get over it and just coach his team. The time at BG when he burst out of the bench and up the stairs to try and see a replay was freaking ridiculous.
                Last edited by BGFan; 12-20-2020, 12:00 AM.

                Comment


                • Can’t argue with that.....the reffing was extra bad, but ya gotta keep it together. .....

                  Comment


                  • Only got to watch part of the third and the postgame interview Friday, but it doesn't seem like Joe's venting was a short deal if this thought of a bias has been here since Mel's days. It's not wrong to expect better reffing. Just not sure how it will change magically next year, wont the pool of refs be the similar to draw from? And if the NMU tieing goal is what pushed him over the top, that's just a bad break I think for the puck to go off the ref and right in front of the net with 8 seconds to go.

                    Nice shout out from Buccigross with the 100 year jerseys. When will we see them on the ice and how often? Still debating if I'd want one if they're available.

                    Comment


                    • I agree that the constant criticism of officiating is probably going to hurt the cause more than help it. Anyone who saw the penalty shot call on Friday night knows it was a joke, but you still won the game. Have to move on. If we didn't end up with the W, then I can see a case for going off. But still, is there a process by which coach can file a complaint with the league office? Better to do that than berate the officials publicly and face their backlash in future games.

                      p.s. Griffin Loughran is a little punk.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                        There's not a team in this league that doesn't have a gripe with the refs. He needs to get over it and just coach his team. The time at BG when he burst out of the bench and up the stairs to try and see a replay was freaking ridiculous.
                        Totally agree.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                        It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
                          I agree that the constant criticism of officiating is probably going to hurt the cause more than help it. Anyone who saw the penalty shot call on Friday night knows it was a joke, but you still won the game. Have to move on. If we didn't end up with the W, then I can see a case for going off. But still, is there a process by which coach can file a complaint with the league office? Better to do that than berate the officials publicly and face their backlash in future games.

                          p.s. Griffin Loughran is a little punk.
                          I think his gripe is with the WCHA and how they handle officials. From what he has said, the league doesn't do anything with complaints. One thing that drives coaches I have played for crazy is when the officials don't know the rules, inconsistent, and aren't reprimanded/made/trained to improve. WCHA officials are horribly inconsistent, even within a game.

                          That poor little man is why hockey needs enforcers.

                          Comment


                          • John MacInnes was someone with a very even keel. He never, to my knowledge anyway, lost control.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                            It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              John MacInnes was someone with a very even keel. He never, to my knowledge anyway, lost control.
                              My namesake and the rest of the legendary coaches from that era also had referees like Topper Ricci who were just as good at managing personalities as they were at managing the game. Those two qualities in tandem are not something you find from current officials.

                              There were also very few 'firebrand' coaches in that era. Badger Bob, Murray Armstrong, Jeff Sauer, Gino Gasparini, Lefty Smith...all were pretty stoic. Amo Bessone might have been the most animated, but I don't remember seeing much of that directed toward the officials.

                              Comment


                              • My seat as a student was right behind the bench. I only heard Coach M raise his voice once. Steve Coates had lined someone up from across the rink and was heading in to smash the guy into the boards. Coach M shouted, loud enough for everyone in the rink to hear, " Stay away from him Coates"! Coates didn't.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                                It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X