Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is from last night and from a lady called Jennifer Hill in MQT.
    Here's what Health Director and Medical Director said: UP's number of cases per day and test positivity are "EXTREME", meaning the virus is spreading all over. About half of the cases in Marquette County are in City of Marquette. MQT County deaths were flat from March - early October at 12, but have doubled in last 6 weeks to 30. Deaths are happening in nursing homes primarily. Our medical system in the UP is at capacity, just like the rest of the Upper Midwest, because staff sick or in quarantine from possible contact and also ICU beds (key number) are mostly full as heart attacks, car accidents etc continue to happen plus covid. The hospital bed number changes every day. Last month, almost all severe covid cases in the UP came to MQT hospital. Now they stay put because MQT is at capacity due to lack of staff. But Keweenaw, Ironwood & Portage hospital ICU beds are at 100% on Nov. 25 (last day data available). It is going to get worse in December as the infections spread at Thanksgiving gatherings start to show up at emergency rooms. The vaccine will keep you from getting sick! It is very good news and will be the hero riding in over the hill for all of this. BUT there is NO EVIDENCE that it won't prevent you from spreading it. So will still need to wear a mask probably next 9-12 months because even if you are vaccinated, you *might* still be contagious and could make someone else sick. GET YOUR FLU SHOT - there have already been cases in the UP of people with flu and covid.

My question is this: would the Keweenaw icu being full affect our ability to host games.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      So this is from last night and from a lady called Jennifer Hill in MQT.
      Here's what Health Director and Medical Director said: UP's number of cases per day and test positivity are "EXTREME", meaning the virus is spreading all over. About half of the cases in Marquette County are in City of Marquette. MQT County deaths were flat from March - early October at 12, but have doubled in last 6 weeks to 30. Deaths are happening in nursing homes primarily. Our medical system in the UP is at capacity, just like the rest of the Upper Midwest, because staff sick or in quarantine from possible contact and also ICU beds (key number) are mostly full as heart attacks, car accidents etc continue to happen plus covid. The hospital bed number changes every day. Last month, almost all severe covid cases in the UP came to MQT hospital. Now they stay put because MQT is at capacity due to lack of staff. But Keweenaw, Ironwood & Portage hospital ICU beds are at 100% on Nov. 25 (last day data available). It is going to get worse in December as the infections spread at Thanksgiving gatherings start to show up at emergency rooms. The vaccine will keep you from getting sick! It is very good news and will be the hero riding in over the hill for all of this. BUT there is NO EVIDENCE that it won't prevent you from spreading it. So will still need to wear a mask probably next 9-12 months because even if you are vaccinated, you *might* still be contagious and could make someone else sick. GET YOUR FLU SHOT - there have already been cases in the UP of people with flu and covid.

My question is this: would the Keweenaw icu being full affect our ability to host games.
      There is the logic/statistical answer and the conservative answer.

Logic/statistics would say the players are in an age group that rarely needs ICU space and testing protocols are in place. There are the coaches, staff, and building staff, but by and large the vast majority can wear masks/social distance. The only people I worry about are the penalty box and on ice officials. I would highly recommend the WCHA to break with their protocols and get the youngest adults to work those positions. Since there are no fans, there is very little reason to worry about having a super spreader event, assuming everyone follows the rules. If the testing protocols are followed, social distancing/mask wearing are in effect, and they say keep the staff as young (within reason) as possible, there is very little need to worry about making the public health situation worse.

Conservative answer would be yes. If local ICU is full, they can't handle another case. That would mean any risk of non-essential spreading events should be stopped. As much as I love Tech hockey, it isn't essential.

Selfishly, I hope they play. That said, an "almost meaningless" hockey game isn't worth someone's life/creating a potentially deadly public health event.

Comment

• Looks like we picked up Rylan Mosley for next fall, Brett Thorne's former teammate in Carleton Place and the top scorer on last year's team. He was previously committed to UAH.

Comment

• I'm surprised at all the NAHL players for our recruits. Can Americans play in the BCHL with the pandemic? Are all of our recruits NAHL level talent? For awhile there we were getting more and more USHL players.
          Player Current Team
          Gabe Temple-F Odessa (NAHL)
          Evan Orr-D Odessa (NAHL)
          Levi Stauber-F MN Wilderness (NAHL)
          Kyle Kukkonen-F Minot (NAHL)
          Trevor Kukkonen-F MN Magicians (NAHL)
          Grant Docter-D MN Wilderness (NAHL)
          Frank Dovorany-D Austin (NAHL)
          Alex Nordstorm-F Green Bay (USHL)
          Kyle Van Compernolle-F Odessa (NAHL)
          Oliver Bezick-D Amarillo (NAHL)
          Charles-Edward Tardif-F MN Wilderness (NAHL)
          Chase Pietila - D Lincoln Stars (USHL)
          Ryland Mosely-F Carleton Place (CCHL)

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            I'm surprised at all the NAHL players for our recruits. Can Americans play in the BCHL with the pandemic? Are all of our recruits NAHL level talent? For awhile there we were getting more and more USHL players.
            Player Current Team
            Gabe Temple-F Odessa (NAHL)
            Evan Orr-D Odessa (NAHL)
            Levi Stauber-F MN Wilderness (NAHL)
            Kyle Kukkonen-F Minot (NAHL)
            Trevor Kukkonen-F MN Magicians (NAHL)
            Grant Docter-D MN Wilderness (NAHL)
            Frank Dovorany-D Austin (NAHL)
            Alex Nordstorm-F Green Bay (USHL)
            Kyle Van Compernolle-F Odessa (NAHL)
            Oliver Bezick-D Amarillo (NAHL)
            Charles-Edward Tardif-F MN Wilderness (NAHL)
            Chase Pietila - D Lincoln Stars (USHL)
            Ryland Mosely-F Carleton Place (CCHL)
            The guys on the Chasing McNaughton Podcast did a great breakdown of that this week. Their thought was a combination of age, MN HS Hockey potential accomplishments/awards, Covid impact on USHL teams, guys looking for ice time,... all may have a part in it. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

IMO, this year is so messed up that it is hard to take anything at face value. So much stuff is beyond anyone's control. We have to roll with it and keep or fingers crossed that our coaches know talent when they see it.

Comment

• Cool center ice logo.

Comment

• Wow that was some performance! Tech has work to do but that was encouraging for sure!

Comment

Wow that was some performance! Tech has work to do but that was encouraging for sure!
                  Blake Pietila was the best player on the ice tonight. Very encouraging to see him play like that. The rest of the team needs conditioning... and to not take any misconduct penalties.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Blake Pietila was the best player on the ice tonight. Very encouraging to see him play like that. The rest of the team needs conditioning... and to not take any misconduct penalties.
                    Agreed on all counts. The only qualifier is with last part. The call on Bliss was borderline at best.

The Mavs took a while to get going in the first game. I doubt that will be the case in the rematch, so it will take a much better effort to get the sweep. There's a lot to build on though along with the goaltending - special teams looked good, there were a number of good scoring chances generated, and there will be some positive vibes.

Comment

Wow that was some performance! Tech has work to do but that was encouraging for sure!
                      I agree. This was a vast improvement from the last two games. It has been a long time since we have had a goalie steal a game for us.

Comment

• They took advantage of MnSU mistakes and Pietila bailed them out of theirs. A good win for building confidence, but still a lot of work to do.

Comment

So this is from last night and from a lady called Jennifer Hill in MQT.
                          Here's what Health Director and Medical Director said: <snip> The vaccine will keep you from getting sick! It is very good news and will be the hero riding in over the hill for all of this. BUT there is NO EVIDENCE that it won't prevent you from spreading it. So will still need to wear a mask probably next 9-12 months because even if you are vaccinated, you *might* still be contagious and could make someone else sick.
                          This info is incorrect. Vaccines work by training and preparing the body’s natural defenses–the immune system–to recognize and fight off the virus. If the body is exposed to the virus, the body is immediately ready to destroy it, preventing replication and illness. You will not be able to spread the virus.

I'm participating in the Phase 3 Pfizer study and I encourage everyone to get a vaccine as soon as possible. You cannot get COVID from this vaccine. My study will last for 26 months so I'm sure we'll have to get a COVID shot every year just like the flu shot. The mRNA techniques used to make this vaccine may make it possible to create a common cold vaccine.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                          Abe Lincoln

Comment

• This team needs to figure out how to score, pronto.

Comment

• Well she's a medical professional which I suspect you are not. I think you misinterpret what she was saying.

As far as tonight's game. we got exposed in a lot of areas. the only time our team was in the game is when Mankato eased off on the forecheck. The 3ed defensive pair was terrible, imho.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                This team needs to figure out how to score, pronto.
                                I couldn't agree more. We get great play in net, but can't support their great effort with a goal or two. Maybe my offensive expectations were too high for the team this season. IDK. It is still early and we played the top team in the league, but we need to get it in gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X