Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

With additional strain on school budgets caused by the pandemic, are any hockey programs in danger of being cut?

What do you see happening? What will the sport look like when it’s up and running again?

Re: Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Probably the three programs already in some trouble...

Comment

Copied from the "Will There be Hockey in the Fall...?" thread:

...Institutions, both public and private, are taking deep financial hits and (of course) the trial lawyers are lined up to file the predictable lawsuits. Clearly, cuts are going to have to be made to help stanch the financial bleeding and intercollegiate sports may well be among them. Non-revenue programs could bear the brunt but I wouldn't be surprised to see football--especially at the FCS level--on the chopping block. Football is insanely expensive and has been a loss leader for years, except for the usual suspects. Hockey won't be immune either. Just impossible to project what might happen at this point.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
        Copied from the "Will There be Hockey in the Fall...?" thread:

...Institutions, both public and private, are taking deep financial hits and (of course) the trial lawyers are lined up to file the predictable lawsuits. Clearly, cuts are going to have to be made to help stanch the financial bleeding and intercollegiate sports may well be among them. Non-revenue programs could bear the brunt but I wouldn't be surprised to see football--especially at the FCS level--on the chopping block. Football is insanely expensive and has been a loss leader for years, except for the usual suspects. Hockey won't be immune either. Just impossible to project what might happen at this point.
        One thing schools have to be careful of — to maintain your NCAA standing, you have to field a minimum number of sports (number dependent on what division you are in), with a minimum spread for each season (fall, winter, spring). So, only so much can be cut if you want to stay in the NCAA.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          One thing schools have to be careful of — to maintain your NCAA standing, you have to field a minimum number of sports (number dependent on what division you are in), with a minimum spread for each season (fall, winter, spring). So, only so much can be cut if you want to stay in the NCAA.
          A letter has already been filed (weeks ago) asking for an exemption on minimum number of sports and minimum football attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            FIU cut Indoor Track and Field but kept their Outdoor team for this EXACT reason.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Maybe drop to D2 or D3, lower cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                Maybe drop to D2 or D3, lower cost?
                I don't think any of the D1 teams are interested in dropping to D3 just to save money and that's not what I was suggesting. They would have to drop all their sports from D1/D2 to D3. That would include finding new conferences to play in for all their sports. I just questioned why a team would want to pay more, and have more difficult travel, just to play non conference games in a barn most high schools would not play in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  I don't think any of the D1 teams are interested in dropping to D3 just to save money and that's not what I was suggesting. They would have to drop all their sports from D1/D2 to D3. That would include finding new conferences to play in for all their sports. I just questioned why a team would want to pay more, and have more difficult travel, just to play non conference games in a barn most high schools would not play in.

I would hope they wouldn't consider dropping to a lower division. But if they can't afford being D1, they don't have much option being its not the National Communistic Athletic Association where other schools pay for the poorer schools or mismanaged schools budgets. If they want to be a big dog then get off the porch.
                  And if the student-athletes can't handle school & travel, maybe they should consider easier majors. We make decisions in life that generate outcomes we have to live with...... otherwise make different decisions.

Comment

I would hope they wouldn't consider dropping to a lower division. But if they can't afford being D1, they don't have much option being its not the National Communistic Athletic Association where other schools pay for the poorer schools or mismanaged schools budgets. If they want to be a big dog then get off the porch.
                    And if the student-athletes can't handle school & travel, maybe they should consider easier majors. We make decisions in life that generate outcomes we have to live with...... otherwise make different decisions.
                    I didn't say the student athletes couldn't handle it. I just asked, and was never answered, why a school would want to spend more time and money to play in a delapidated 700-seat rink when they have many other options to full their NC schedule.

I'll wait.

Last edited by MTUHuskies; 05-10-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I didn't say the student athletes couldn't handle it. I just asked, and was never answered, why a school would want to spend more time and money to play in a delapitated 700-seat rink when they have many other options to full their NC schedule.

I'll wait.

You've asked a lot of things as have I and you have not answered some of mine.
                      The only reason to play anywhere is for the competition. If they wish to have plush surroundings, plush locker rooms, plush seating for the audience, lots of condiments served, then they are not there for hockey. If they don't have the money nor energy to travel, then stay home.
                      Last edited by Sol Diablo; 05-10-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

You've asked a lot of things as have I and you have not answered some of mine.
                        The only reason to play anywhere is for the competition. If they wish to have plush surroundings, plush locker rooms, plush seating for the audience, lots of condiments served, then they are not there for hockey. If they don't have the money nor energy to travel, then stay home.
                        So you support my point that competition can be found closer and cheaper. And again, if the rink is better and the competition is the same, why pay more and get less? You are still not answering that question. You aren't making a very good sales pitch to play there. All you do is claim that other teams have neither the money nor the energy to go there.

Comment

Am just capitalizing so you can see my answers to individual questions better.

So you support my point that competition can be found closer and cheaper. YOU ARE CORRECT.
                          And again, if the rink is better and the competition is the same, why pay more and get less? WHY THE FOCUS ON THE RINK? WHAT IS THE "GET LESS" COMMENT? GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME. BUT IF THE COMPETITION IS THE SAME THEN YOU ARE CORRECT ABOUT "WHY PAY MORE".
                          You are still not answering that question. ANSWERED.
                          You aren't making a very good sales pitch to play there. GUESS ASU NEEDS TO HAND OUT MONEY, NOT GONNA HAPPEN, BUT THOSE TEAMS THAT WANT IT NEED TO REASSESS D1 MEMBERSHIP RATHER THAN RESORT TO BORDERLINE EXTORTION.
                          All you do is claim that other teams have neither the money nor the energy to go there. WCHA PUBLICLY CLAIMED THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY AND NEEDED HANDOUTS, WELL KNOWN FACT. ITS NOT AS WELL KNOWN THAT NCHA ASKED FOR SIMILAR. ITS BEEN PUBLICLY REPORTED THAT ITS A LONG TRIP TO TEMPE FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES TO MAKE AND IT MAY BE AS LONG A TRIP TIME WISE TO BUS FROM HOUGHTON TO BG BUT MTU HAS DONE IT.
                          MTU APPEARS TO HAVE THE MONEY, ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM TO GO THERE AND PLAY. CAN'T SAY THAT FOR ALL TEAMS BASED ON PUBLIC INFORMATION AND 2ND HAND COMMENTS I'VE HEARD AROUND OCEANSIDE.

Comment

Am just capitalizing so you can see my answers to individual questions better.
                            Here's an idea. Maybe ASU should reassess their commitment to D1 hockey. Spend the money to build a suitable rink or go back to club hockey. Seems like your logic works in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                              A letter has already been filed (weeks ago) asking for an exemption on minimum number of sports and minimum football attendance.
                              I know. But it doesn’t mean it’s going to pass.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X