Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will replace collegehockeystats.net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will replace collegehockeystats.net?

I was saddened to see that the longtime website collegehockeystats.net will not be updating going forward. I never new the specifics of their arrangement with the various conferences, but they were clearly the as-official-as-can-be source for all college hockey conferences, divisions, and sexes.

Does anyone know if there will be an official unified system replacing them, or is this going to be the end of real-time publication of the lesser conferences and women's hockey?
    http://www.hockeydb.com

As someone who visits that website seemingly every day during the season, I would also be interested in a replacement.

RIP. It was super bare-bones, but I really loved that place. It was invaluable when I was trying to get scores on my first flip phone.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

It was so lightweight technically that it loaded super fast. No graphics, ads, or other things to slow it down. For a broadcaster, it was invaluable as I could quickly locate either current stats or look up history very quickly.

I heard last season that the NCAA was putting together a replacement, and working with CHS to do it. Hope that comes to fruition and the NCAA doesn't screw it up too much.
      Scott Biggar
      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Terrible news!
        I have counted on CHstats forever as a reliable sources of info across all levels of our game!
        The best site out there. Would willingly have paid for it but was never asked. Now it is gone?
        Devastating!

Comment

The challenge, which collegehockeystats solved, is that very often, the conferences don't care about anything other than the conference stats, and there is no "NCAA-wide" statistical computation. Each team may do it separately.

This is what happens with the Canadian University teams. It's really hard to find overall stats for their conferences.

I'm worried that without a unified system, the D3 conferences/teams won't publish much of anything. MASCAC, for example, just linked to collegehockeystats.

Comment

NCAA & College Hockey Stats worked together to use the webpage as a complete database of each season and the sports recent history. SID's were required to upload StatCrew files to the site after each game - but with the NCAA's transition away from StatCrew to LiveStats they must feel they can do a better job. So no fear, there will be a replacement - whether it is as clean and easy to use as CHS.net I cannot say, but would tend to doubt.

It will likely be on this site, that is in use for so many other NCAA Sports - https://stats.ncaa.org/

EDIT - in fact, Ice Hockey is already listed in the drop down menu with stats available back to 2009-10...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

The NCAA stats site has a lot of room for improvement.

Comment

My concern is what’s going to happen to all the historical stats? They went back to the mid-90s at least, for every school, every conference, every level, every gender. Whenever I needed to research something, finding the stats was the least of my concerns.

And to echo Ralph, a majority of D3 schools and conferences simply pointed to CHS. Including all their historical stats.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The website www.hockeydb.com is "useable" for D-I men's individual player stats. However it is really focused on pro hockey so for the college stats in many cases the team name search doesn't work, player numbers are missing in the database, etc. For example if you search by team, you can't find some entire teams. But if you know a player who played for that team you can look up the player and then backdoor your way into the team's stats and other players on that team.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    NCAA & College Hockey Stats worked together to use the webpage as a complete database of each season and the sports recent history. SID's were required to upload StatCrew files to the site after each game - but with the NCAA's transition away from StatCrew to LiveStats they must feel they can do a better job. So no fear, there will be a replacement - whether it is as clean and easy to use as CHS.net I cannot say, but would tend to doubt.

It will likely be on this site, that is in use for so many other NCAA Sports - https://stats.ncaa.org/

EDIT - in fact, Ice Hockey is already listed in the drop down menu with stats available back to 2009-10...
                    But I can't find a way to pull down individual box scores from stats.ncaa.org. Did I miss a pull down area?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

But I can't find a way to pull down individual box scores from stats.ncaa.org. Did I miss a pull down area?
                      If I go to team statistics and choose a team - I see box scores back to the 2015-16 season (at least for the first and only team I clicked on). The box scores look awful though.

CHS was perfect - the NCAA site is far from it. I’m just guessing they’ll pull hockey stats entirely under their umbrella, maybe they have something else in mind. If they do, I think you’ll find all the same information, but I doubt it will be as user friendly...

https://stats.ncaa.org/contests/262183/box_score
                      Last edited by Dan; 09-05-2021, 07:46 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

The way it was described to me, the site and all its data will remain up, it will just not be updated moving forward.

Who knows for how long…

Comment

I have been asking around, and the situation does not appear to be very good. As referenced above by Dan, the teams are all required to use the NCAA site. However that site doesn't appear to have many key things:
                          • No conference/school schedules or results other than a page that shows the results for a particular day.
                          • No roster information with vitals/last team. Just names.
                          • No boxscores.
                          • No assistant/associate/goalie coach info. Just head coach.
                          • No conference standings.
                          • It is also very difficult to find the scoring by team - an example of one team is here, and is very messy because it co-mingles skater and goalie stats.
                          It also looks like there will be no information on exhibition games with non-NCAA teams (such as Canadian University or USHL).

It seems like at least some conferences may keep their own stats, but I would expect only the stronger D1 conferences to do that. Seems like for D3, information will be very hard to come by.

Comment

While hockeydb and elitehockeyprospects offer value in looking up players, collegehockeystats has been invaluable over the years as the most thorough place to get stats across all teams and rosters. I sense in reading this site that the site and old details will remain just no new information posted. Quite the loss for everyone, while the NCAA may have their own site too bad they cannot share the information and have collegehockeystats continue as it really has been a tremendous resource over the years.

Comment

So far, the NCAA site is absolute garbage. The schedule isn't even correct, and it keeps changing by the hour, with games showing up and dropping off. They had the BC/AIC game listed on both BC and AIC's schedule pages, and then it all disappeared. I'm not sure if it's because the games are exhibition games, and were initially entered as not exhibition - it's really impossible to tell.

I don't see how this is considered progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X