X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrunkTrainPolka
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Hearing that Tech is adding a home exhibition game on Saturday October 2. Considering it's almost certainly not a Canadian school, I can only assume it's either NMU or Lake State.
    joe mentioned on this last show (on the 24th) that it was going to be northern pending the NCAA approving things... which they did.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Hearing that Tech is adding a home exhibition game on Saturday October 2. Considering it's almost certainly not a Canadian school, I can only assume it's either NMU or Lake State.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Redridge View Post

This is a great list. It brings back some great memories. Thank you. I don’t have the stats, so I have to trust you, but Lou Angotti missing... (And I recognize the inherent difficulty of comparing the greatest players, of different generations)
    We have never had a Hobey Baker winner, but we have had 3 players named the NCAA tournament Most Outstanding Player. Prior to the Hobey, (pre-81) it was not uncommon to have a non-winning team player named. (So it was ‘slightly’ closer to the Hobey, back in the day)

Lou Angotti (twice, 60,52), Gary Milroy (65) and Jim Warden (75) were all named NCAA tournament MOP’s. Lou Angotti is one of only two players, to be named MOP twice. It is interesting that none of these three made the Tech Jersey Team!
    Last edited by Redridge; 09-06-2021, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDee View Post
    Lou Angotti played in 2 NCAA Championship games ('60 & '62) and was MVP in both and played 10(?) seasons in the NHL. Did Rick Boehm play in the NHL?
    Like I stated, it was a tough choice. Not saying either one is the unquestionably right answer, could easily have been a tie too. Your list may differ.

I didn't see Angotti play, but I did see Rick Boehm score a goal from his knees (while facing away from the goal and twisting his torso) through two defenders and the goalie from Colorado College.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    I liked that the list focused on their accomplishments while wearing the Huskies colors, not their overall hockey career. As a student in the 90s, if the list were to consider entire careers vs just years in Houghton, Andy Sutton would be an easy swap to replace Chris Conner. Andy really only started to shine in his senior season and then went on to a lengthy journeyman career in the NHL (676 games including the lost lock-out year). Chris got some time in the NHL (180 games) but spent most of his pro career in the AHL (700+ games). While at Tech, Chris certainly had the better four years and was the more impactful player of the two.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDee View Post
    Lou Angotti played in 2 NCAA Championship games ('60 & '62) and was MVP in both and played 10(?) seasons in the NHL. Did Rick Boehm play in the NHL?
    Boehm didn’t make it to the NHL.

Leave a comment:

• TheDee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Good work JJ!. I think you ought to be paid for all this. After all, they hire 5 people for less work than you do already.
    It's a labor of love. But, if the staff is reading this... I'm willing to work for Huskies game worn jerseys.

I do wish that Tech still put out a yearbook for the hockey team. They post fragments online similar to what used to be sections of the yearbook, but since the print era ended, there really hasn't been a single public facing document for all the historical team data (like an all-time numerical roster). It seems that they only keep about 15-20 years worth of info archived on the website depending on the type of content. A lot of other teams still do a digital yearbook each season. The 100th season would have been a great year to at least do it one-time. Likely could have some some hard copies on campus as well.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    I don't think I've posted this before... my list of the best Huskies players to wear each number in history.
    Awesome work! Certainly some tough decisions on there so I like the "Others Considered" aspect of the list. All that great history with so many talented players... and all Tyrone Bronte has to do is play a game to make the list.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied

The other tie would then be...
    Didn’t coach MacInnes consider Garry Bauman the better goalie? Each had a championship....

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by Redridge View Post

This is a great list. It brings back some great memories. Thank you. I don’t have the stats, so I have to trust you, but Lou Angotti missing... (And I recognize the inherent difficulty of comparing the greatest players, of different generations)
    Lou Angotti was probably the toughest call at #15. In the end I probably was influenced too much by seeing Rick Boehm play, but a 200 point scorer would have been equally hard to leave off the list. Maybe that would have been better served as a tie.

The other tie would then be #31, where Bruce Horsch (the all-time leader in wins) had the bad luck of sharing the jersey number with Jamie Ram.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 09-03-2021, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    I don't think I've posted this before, was holding onto it for what should have been the 100th season. After a lot of research, this is my list of the best Huskies players to wear each number in history. You'll see the career accomplishments of each, along with the others considered for the honor. There were some very tough calls, especially #8, #15, #30, and #31.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...f=true&sd=true

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Good work JJ!. I think you ought to be paid for all this. After all, they hire 5 people for less work than you do already.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    I don't think I've posted this before, was holding onto it for what should have been the 100th season. After a lot of research, this is my list of the best Huskies players to wear each number in history. You'll see the career accomplishments of each, along with the others considered for the honor. There were some very tough calls, especially #8, #15, #30, and #31.

The most recent to crack the list is Matt Roy, the furthest back is Hank Akervall.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...f=true&sd=true

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    To this point in history the highest number worn by a skater (non-goalie) is 34, worn by Riley Sweeney for part of his career. The only other Huskies player to wear #34 was goalie Jason Moilanen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X