X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manurespreader
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron. Overall, I am more than ready to shake up the GLI and move on with out Michigan and move on to new locations around the Midwest.

As I've noted before, there are plenty of other NON-conference teams that Tech can bring into this tourney and move the location annually to get more Tech alumni from other parts of the country involved. I would even be ok calling it the Great Lakes tourney (Huskies Holiday Ice Cup or whatever name you want to create) and putting it in outside the Midwest if they really want to reach Tech alumni around the country. UND plays games all over the country at neutral sites and gets fans to show up. I think Tech could have the same draw for one-time events due to the lack of conference teams outside of the Midwest now. Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, or any city with an ECHL sized rink (Get out of the NHL 15k-20k buildings that we can't fill). Time to reboot the GLI in a big way as a last gasp effort before it dies. The first move is to remove Michigan from the equation.
    I'm not in favor of that.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron. Overall, I am more than ready to shake up the GLI and move on with out Michigan and move on to new locations around the Midwest.

As I've noted before, there are plenty of other NON-conference teams that Tech can bring into this tourney and move the location annually to get more Tech alumni from other parts of the country involved. I would even be ok calling it the Great Lakes tourney (Huskies Holiday Ice Cup or whatever name you want to create) and putting it in outside the Midwest if they really want to reach Tech alumni around the country. UND plays games all over the country at neutral sites and gets fans to show up. I think Tech could have the same draw for one-time events due to the lack of conference teams outside of the Midwest now. Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, or any city with an ECHL sized rink (Get out of the NHL 15k-20k buildings that we can't fill). Time to reboot the GLI in a big way as a last gasp effort before it dies. The first move is to remove Michigan from the equation.
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 12-31-2021, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Originally posted by Redridge View Post
    Did not see the game. Did we play the OT to win, put a couple forwards out, or just to survive?
    We played OT like we always do. As if we were shorthanded and trying to kill a 5-minute major.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied
    What the **** just happened?

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied
    Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
    On the bright side, I feel the 2nd period was our best of the season, even if it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.
    MSU SUCKS
    1 Char

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    Did not see the game. Did we play the OT to win, put a couple forwards out, or just to survive?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    If this happens much more we will be on the outside looking in.
    I'm already resigned to it. After opening weekend this team has done nothing but disappoint and underwhelm.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    If this happens much more we will be on the outside looking in.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    On the bright side, I feel the 2nd period was our best of the season, even if it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Well....we've seen that movie before. Outshot an opponent, didn't put the puck in net, played just well enough not to lose, and played like garbage in OT. This is our team.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Wow. 20 shots on goal that 2nd period. Still couldn't outscore our opponent.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Bale View Post
    Good grief, they are double and tripling down on this. They had a FULL LINEUP and its just for one game. The only thing they didn't have was the extra skater.
    I also counted six draft picks still in last night's lineup for them, lol. Mel is a weenie and he keeps proving it more and more with every passing year.

Disappointing that we couldn't come out of Yost with the win, but Blake and the defense played very well.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    They got Gingell back who is a terrific player and made a big difference. And they played very hard. as hard as we did. That's not the case all the time for them.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Disappointed we couldn't take advantage of their "monumental" disadvantage and actually score a goal.

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied
    Michigan’s depth faced a monumental test with so many missing regulars. Portillo proved he can be their heartbeat in close contests.
    Good grief, they are double and tripling down on this. They had a FULL LINEUP snd its just for one game. The only thing they didn't have was the extra skater.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X