X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wolverineTrumpet
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Congratulations to Colin Kronforst on winning the award for biggest overreaction on a penalty call in an NCAA tournament game. Barely a 2, calls it a 5 and a game. And that came just after Parrottino got hit in the head with no penalty.

Didn't Duluth spend the whole game in the IceBreaker diving and flopping all over the ice? Here we go again.
    When I saw that call I knew it was B1G officials.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    A thoroughly underwhelming finish to what started as a very promising second half of the season. I give Joe two more years to figure out player development and the mental game, or else I'll be ready to go coach shopping. I'll see you chuckleheads in October for my first season wearing a wedding ring, assuming my better half doesn't wise up and leave me beforehand. Who knows, maybe before then Putin will have cancelled Earth with a nuclear war and spared us from sitting through our inevitable first-ever loss to the Tommies. Peace.
    This team is who we knew they were. Solid hockey players/team who struggled to score.

Joe just took a team to the NCAA tourney. I don't know how one only gives him only more 2 years. I think the scoring or lack there is more on players than coaches. A coach's job is to put the player in a position to succeed. We can measure this by scoring chances for and against. Two metrics the Huskies do very well at. It is up to the player to beat the goalie as the coach can't take the shot. There are some things (skills) players are responsible for and need to work on. A coach teaches structure and how to think about the game. They can give players tips of form and skills, but it is up to the player to practice and engrain them into their subconscious.

That said, Joe is responsible for the players he recruits and should tweak his recruiting preferences to get some guys who can score consistently at the expense of some D.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Congratulations to Colin Kronforst on winning the award for biggest overreaction on a penalty call in an NCAA tournament game. Barely a 2, calls it a 5 and a game. And that came just after Parrottino got hit in the head with no penalty.
    Definitely a 2. But I agree the 5 and game misconduct was not warranted.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    A thoroughly underwhelming finish to what started as a very promising second half of the season. I give Joe two more years to figure out player development and the mental game, or else I'll be ready to go coach shopping. I'll see you chuckleheads in October for my first season wearing a wedding ring, assuming my better half doesn't wise up and leave me beforehand. Who knows, maybe before then Putin will have cancelled Earth with a nuclear war and spared us from sitting through our inevitable first-ever loss to the Tommies. Peace.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    IMHO Ever since their coach came there Duluth dives. I thought the kid just fell on his own and Brian just happened to be there. The refs did not do a great job if you ask me. But we've had trouble scoring all year so nothing new there.
    I was proud of how our guys played and proud to be a husky.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Under NHL rules, the Bulldogs would have been called for 7 delay of game penalties for shooting the puck out of play.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Turnovers...

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied

Didn't Duluth spend the whole game in the IceBreaker diving and flopping all over the ice? Here we go again.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Let's Go Tech! Let's win this dog fight.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    This is our time - UMD's time is over. Screw em, Tomorrow Tech is the best hockey team in the building
    Totally agree. Everyone in college hockey is beatable. Keep moving the puck, etc. you should be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Huskiefan906
    replied
    This is our time - UMD's time is over. Screw em, Tomorrow Tech is the best hockey team in the building

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Hate to be a buzzkill, but the only way I see us beating Duluth is if Pietila is lights out and the Bulldogs get into penalty trouble so that our power play can get lots of looks. This is a UMD team with less high-end talent than in recent years, but lots more tournament experience and a penchant for knowing how to grind out games when it matters.
    I agree. This is was a tough draw for Tech. The guys are going to have to buckle up their chin straps and play our game for a full 60 minutes. Time to show the hard skill.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Hate to be a buzzkill, but the only way I see us beating Duluth is if Pietila is lights out and the Bulldogs get into penalty trouble so that our power play can get lots of looks. This is a UMD team with less high-end talent than in recent years, but lots more tournament experience and a penchant for knowing how to grind out games when it matters.

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

Melrose has sucked for YEARS! His NHL coverages is equally as bad. If it isn't an east coast team/player that he likes, he has no interest in them and doesn't care how bad he skews/butchers the coverage. How he has a job in TV is beyond me.

You can't tell me someone at ESPN can't do a better job? They couldn't hire a contractor who knows college hockey and has some TV experience to make their presentation sound somewhat legitimate?
    Give ESPN credit for loyalty. They keep guys like Melrose, Berman, Vitale, etc., long after their Sell By dates. Anyway, good luck, Huskies! Let's meet in Boston!

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

I give Bucci credit for at least talking about college hockey, but yeah, even for him there's NoDak, MN, UMich, the Boston schools, and...Hey, some of these other guys are OK, too! Last year, in the Frozen Four first game, Melrose was assigned to read the 4 "Players to Watch," at the start of the game, and he mispronounced 3 of them. Yes, the SCSU guys were Finnish, but it was Barry's job to get that right, and he wasn't close. And Bucci repeatedly referred to Nathan Smith as "Davis." Our best player, common name, and he got it wrong repeatedly.
    Melrose has sucked for YEARS! His NHL coverages is equally as bad. If it isn't an east coast team/player that he likes, he has no interest in them and doesn't care how bad he skews/butchers the coverage. How he has a job in TV is beyond me.

You can't tell me someone at ESPN can't do a better job? They couldn't hire a contractor who knows college hockey and has some TV experience to make their presentation sound somewhat legitimate?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X