<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
    Not gonna lie, if I’m going to travel to watch the GLI I’d pick GR over Detroit 10 out of 10 times.....
    I agree and see your point. Does anyone have demographics of who attends GLI? I believe GLI was held in Detroit originally because there is a relatively large Alumni base there because of the auto industry. Not sure if that is relevant.

I believe there is a decent Alumni based in the GR area though not sure. Roughly 2 hours to Van Andel from the Detroit metro area. I have no issue dumping the Joe or LC whatever its called. I know it's called HockeyTown but that does not apply to college hockey only if and when the Wings are doing well.

Comment

• IMHO Gr would be terrible for attendance. Detroit is not nearly as bad as you all say and the number of youth hockey teams close by dwarfs
      GR.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post

I agree and see your point. Does anyone have demographics of who attends GLI? I believe GLI was held in Detroit originally because there is a relatively large Alumni base there because of the auto industry. Not sure if that is relevant.

I believe there is a decent Alumni based in the GR area though not sure. Roughly 2 hours to Van Andel from the Detroit metro area. I have no issue dumping the Joe or LC whatever its called. I know it's called HockeyTown but that does not apply to college hockey only if and when the Wings are doing well.
        What is this "wing" that you speak of?

Comment

• Honestly, without Michigan or even State, I see next zero draw to the GLI, especially outside of metro Detroit.

That’s were so many alumni live.

GR wouldn’t be terrible, but I remember when the GLI could draw the likes of BC or NoDak. Nothing against Western, Northern, even Tech, and it pains me as a Tech alum, that maybe the GLI has outgrown its usefulness.

Also, I see it from Michigan’s point too, it’s just business, and they’ll just complain about players out at the WJC if/when they lose.

Do something bold. Make a holiday tournament in Las Vegas, co host with ASU. Or Seattle.

Although I would prefer LV. Nearly everyone has direct flights to there.

Comment

• I would attend a NCAA Vegas tourney every year, without thinking twice. That said, I don’t remember the Tournament in Vegas with ASU, MTU, NMU and BC being super well attended. I think it could maybe be bigger with some marketing though...

Comment

• The GLI need to remain in a location that is saturated with alumni of the programs participating. That is likely going to be the Midwest. I think a rotating venue might also help boost attendance. The GLI has been on cruise control for years because fans figure "well if I don't go this year I can always go next year..." However if it rotated between 3-5 venues, now it suddenly becomes an event to look forward to an the local alumni groups will have a couple years to plan and make it a significant event, knowing it won't be back again for several years. An annual event eventually, like a yearly alumni reunion, gets stale because "there is always next year..."

Just look at how Tech runs their sports alumni reunions. They are generally every five or more years. By not making them a regular event, it helps generate excitement to not miss the event because the next one won't be for another five years. You also don't have to invest the resources to plan the event every year as well.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                The GLI need to remain in a location that is saturated with alumni of the programs participating. That is likely going to be the Midwest. I think a rotating venue might also help boost attendance. The GLI has been on cruise control for years because fans figure "well if I don't go this year I can always go next year..." However if it rotated between 3-5 venues, now it suddenly becomes an event to look forward to an the local alumni groups will have a couple years to plan and make it a significant event, knowing it won't be back again for several years. An annual event eventually, like a yearly alumni reunion, gets stale because "there is always next year..."

Just look at how Tech runs their sports alumni reunions. They are generally every five or more years. By not making them a regular event, it helps generate excitement to not miss the event because the next one won't be for another five years. You also don't have to invest the resources to plan the event every year as well.
                Like this idea. Three venues sound about right. Chicago, somewhere in WI and in Michigan meaning Detroit area

Comment

• I see the schedule dropped . All except Michigan not doing the GLi. I figure it will be someone else who hasn't said yes yet. plus MSU and who? NMU?, Ferris?
                  And only 1 non con home series.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I see the schedule dropped . All except Michigan not doing the GLi. I figure it will be someone else who hasn't said yes yet. plus MSU and who? NMU?, Ferris?
                    All in-state field. Three conferences. New location.

Comment

Tech really needs to work with NMU or maybe Duluth to bring Eastern teams to the Midwest. Two teams can come West and play Tech and NMU/UMD on back to back nights. Two opponents in one weekend, good pairwise opportunity just like a tourney only it generates some gate revenue and keeps the team off the road early in the season.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Tech really needs to work with NMU or maybe Duluth to bring Eastern teams to the Midwest. Two teams can come West and play Tech and NMU/UMD on back to back nights. Two opponents in one weekend, good pairwise opportunity just like a tourney only it generates some gate revenue and keeps the team off the road early in the season.
                        NMU has shown no interest in partnering on a schedule like that. Tech has tried repeatedly to no avail. Lake State and UMD are too far from Houghton to make it feasible.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

NMU has shown no interest in partnering on a schedule like that. Tech has tried repeatedly to no avail. Lake State and UMD are too far from Houghton to make it feasible.
                          It sounded like Joey said lake state and tech are going out to play Clarkson and st Lawrence in the fall of 2023 and 2025. Tech hosts st Lawrence for 2 this fall and Clarkson for 2 in the fall of 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

All in-state field. Three conferences. New location.
                            My prediction: Tech, State, Western, Ferris. Van Andel Arena. That's close to three of those schools and Tech travels well. I'm all for it if that turns out to be the case. UofM and LCA can suck it.

Comment

• If that's the case, well i'm hopeful but not optimistic about attendance.

Comment

If that's the case, well i'm hopeful but not optimistic about attendance.
                                You have nothing to worry about, dumpster fire MSU is now the big attraction for the once prestigious GLI!

Comment

Working...
                                X