<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
    So Coach Shawhan dropped a couple hints about the GLI recently. Any more on that?
    It's back on the schedule. With one notable change in the participant list. That's all I can say for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

It's back on the schedule. With one notable change in the participant list. That's all I can say for now.
      Glad to hear MTU is trying to keep the GLI alive. Good luck, and hopefully WMU gets an invite again sooner rather than later.
      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• When do we hear more? The suspense is killing me!

Comment

• Per Brad Schlossman, Tech added forward Jack Works from Denver.

Comment

• David Jankowski is transferring to Tech from St. Lawrence for a fifth season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post

Glad to hear MTU is trying to keep the GLI alive. Good luck, and hopefully WMU gets an invite again sooner rather than later.
              Rumors are Michigan wants out….IMHO. The best solution would be Tech, MSU, Western every year and one different invited team each year. Advantage: 3 Michigan teams from 3 different conferences each year. Location: Grand Rapids. Close for WMU and MSU fans and for you Tech guys just a short drive to beer city.

Comment

• why get a mediocre player for just one year, and then miss out on a 20 year old or 19 year old that is ready now and you have them for 4 years. dumb

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                  why get a mediocre player for just one year, and then miss out on a 20 year old or 19 year old that is ready now and you have them for 4 years. dumb
                  If they were ready to contribute now, Tech wouldn't be looking for players in the NCAA portal. Tech needs scorers and a 19 or 20 year old that is coming to Tech is unlikely to be that kind of player. We are not landing two or three Tanner Kero / Brian Halonen / Trenton Bliss type players in every recruiting class. So going to the portal for older experienced players at least increases the chance that they can contribute right out of the gate because they are hopefully more physically developed and up to speed in the college game. Every players like Grant Docter who came in highly touted, barely even managed to crack the line-up this year and now he's gone. Even for above average junior players, the jump to D-I hockey is substantial. Tech doesn't have a dozen NHL draft picks beating on the door of the JMSIA, so they need to be looking to add experience and talent any way they can. If Tech is going to compete on the national stage, it will be using the model of a team loaded with older players of slightly lower talent levels because we are simply not going to have a half-dozen first round NHL draft picks on the roster any time soon.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Rumors are Michigan wants out….IMHO. The best solution would be Tech, MSU, Western every year and one different invited team each year. Advantage: 3 Michigan teams from 3 different conferences each year. Location: Grand Rapids. Close for WMU and MSU fans and for you Tech guys just a short drive to beer city.
                    I'm all for saying good-bye to Michigan. I think the Grand Rapids venue better suits what the GLI is today. Hopefully the smaller venue makes the games feel better attended and is hopefully a lower cost to book as well to help make the event at least generate a positive net return at the box office. I have a feeling less fans would attend both days so I think the first day might have light attendance. Less alumni are likely to stay overnight as opposed to just one day-trip (unless they are from waaaay out of town). For the next 4-5 years you could bring in a different independent team each year. Involve some of the new programs without having to play them twice.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

It's just as much the other way around. Tech wants the skunks out. And confidentially, there are some predictions close to this post that are exactly what's going to happen (hint hint clue clue).

Comment

• there are 20 year old scorers out there that can out produce this 5th year player..

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          It's just as much the other way around. Tech wants the skunks out. And confidentially, there are some predictions close to this post that are exactly what's going to happen (hint hint clue clue).
                          I almost posted this hot take last night, but I held off until now.

I think MI is clearly done with the GLI and has been for awhile, which I'm sure means Tech is tired of dealing with their co-host's whininess. They'd rather sit in Ann Arbor and smoke green, or maybe schedule an AHA team for their almighty NHL first rounders to pad their stats that weekend. Meanwhile, Olympia Entertainment will not host the GLI at the Pizza Box unless both B1G teams are involved because, let's be honest, they will sell more tickets to other events they could book during that time period. Detroiters just don't give a sh*t unless MI is involved and Sparty doesn't care about hockey unless they have a dominant team, which isn't happening anytime soon. *shrug*

So, Van Andel it is. Sparty, Tech, and probably WMU will be the regulars, along with an annual rotation of MTU peer ECAC teams whose fans travel semi-well - think Clarkson and RPI, plus Ohio (Bowling Pins, Miami State, and maybe fOSU for the lulz), and the other Michigan CCHA teams. Try to work Notre Dame in there, since it's an easy driving trip for their fans and they're usually at least a decent team (plus Shawhan and Jackson have a lengthy friendship). Attendance #$*#($*ing matters without MI. Expect them to book it over the weekend, which this year works out great since it's New Year's weekend. Book Griffins home game(s) on Friday 12/30 and/or Sunday 1/1 as the bookends to encourage college fans to make a whole weekend in GRR out of it and prod local Griffins/Wings fans into checking it out (particularly if you do the Sunday championship as the prelude to a Griffins game). I'm sure there will be packages that include the college & AHL games, plus maybe some concessions. Van Andel holds 12-13k so you figure they can aim to get 10k in there and it'll look and sound real good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                            there are 20 year old scorers out there that can out produce this 5th year player..
                            At 20, those guys are few and far between. It's easy to "bloom late" when you're a 20-year-old with average talent playing against 17 and 18-year-olds in their rookie year in the AJHL or BCHL. Those guys might turn into good college players, but it usually takes 2-3 years to develop them further and so they often aren't a serious impact player until their junior or senior year. A school bringing in a 3 or 4-year transfer player who has already been there is less of gamble when you need guys who might produce NOW.

The strategy with these two transfers is clearly different. Works is a guy who bloomed late in juniors, but after 1.5 seasons there clearly wasn't going to get much ice time with their incoming classes. He's a project with 3 years of eligibility left who might pay good dividends in another year or two. I suspect he may be one of those guys who was originally recruited by Shawhan, but got talked into going elsewhere at first. Jankowski was SLU's captain and is more in the vein of Karow from a leadership perspective. He might come in and project 10 goals and 20-25 points as a 5th year player, but it's his locker room leadership that Joe clearly wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I almost posted this hot take last night, but I held off until now.

I think MI is clearly done with the GLI and has been for awhile, which I'm sure means Tech is tired of dealing with their co-host's whininess. They'd rather sit in Ann Arbor and smoke green, or maybe schedule an AHA team for their almighty NHL first rounders to pad their stats that weekend. Meanwhile, Olympia Entertainment will not host the GLI at the Pizza Box unless both B1G teams are involved because, let's be honest, they will sell more tickets to other events they could book during that time period. Detroiters just don't give a sh*t unless MI is involved and Sparty doesn't care about hockey unless they have a dominant team, which isn't happening anytime soon. *shrug*

So, Van Andel it is. Sparty, Tech, and probably WMU will be the regulars, along with an annual rotation of MTU peer ECAC teams whose fans travel semi-well - think Clarkson and RPI, plus Ohio (Bowling Pins, Miami State, and maybe fOSU for the lulz), and the other Michigan CCHA teams. Try to work Notre Dame in there, since it's an easy driving trip for their fans and they're usually at least a decent team (plus Shawhan and Jackson have a lengthy friendship). Attendance #$*#($*ing matters without MI. Expect them to book it over the weekend, which this year works out great since it's New Year's weekend. Book Griffins home game(s) on Friday 12/30 and/or Sunday 1/1 as the bookends to encourage college fans to make a whole weekend in GRR out of it and prod local Griffins/Wings fans into checking it out (particularly if you do the Sunday championship as the prelude to a Griffins game). I'm sure there will be packages that include the college & AHL games, plus maybe some concessions. Van Andel holds 12-13k so you figure they can aim to get 10k in there and it'll look and sound real good.
                              That is a nice landing for the tournament.

Comment

• Not gonna lie, if I’m going to travel to watch the GLI I’d pick GR over Detroit 10 out of 10 times.....

Comment

Working...
                                X