No announcement yet.

<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File tonight's game under "When a win is not a victory and feels like a loss..."
    It had pretty much the same feeling as "winning" Winter Carnival by losing the second game.
    The players' faces say it all.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• The NCAA playoffs are probably lost at this point. I just don’t understand why Joe can’t light a fire under this team. He said our backs were up against the wall… in the 3rd period. Our playoff hopes were against the wall after we got smoked by BG last week. And we still played 5 periods of “out of sync” hockey, as Dirk described it, against one of the worst teams in the country, before finally feeling compelled to come back and tie it. I honestly can’t watch anymore of this.
      Go Huskies!

Comment

• We seemed to be at 4/5th speed with occasional flashes of normal. Officiating was bizarre though. Saturday was the "day of esoteric penalties". Blake had an off night, that will happen. That arena is great for watching a game, every seat is really close. But, not sure how to put this, it doesn't seem to have any soul.

Comment

• I hate that rink!. I also thought the refs were not all that great, but doesn't Bliss know the rules? He got called for the same penalty two nights in a row!
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
            The NCAA playoffs are probably lost at this point.
            If you don't need to keep that #12 spot in Pairwise for anything, we'll be happy to take it off your hands for you.
            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
              The NCAA playoffs are probably lost at this point. I just don’t understand why Joe can’t light a fire under this team. He said our backs were up against the wall… in the 3rd period. Our playoff hopes were against the wall after we got smoked by BG last week. And we still played 5 periods of “out of sync” hockey, as Dirk described it, against one of the worst teams in the country, before finally feeling compelled to come back and tie it. I honestly can’t watch anymore of this.
              That isn't a coaches thing. it is the players themselves that need to generate the energy. What could a coach say that the players don't already know? If the coaches need to pull the players along at this time of year, coaches need to re-evaluate who they recruit and players need to drop the athlete part and focus on being students. They had a normal week of R&R to get their heads back into things.

It was nice to see them fight back, but giving up points to FSU... Not acceptable for a team that was in line for an bid.
              Last edited by Lost_Husky; 02-21-2022, 11:14 AM. Reason: Clarification ty JJM

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                It was nice to see them fight back, but giving up points to FSU... Not acceptable for a team that was in line for an autobid.
                To clarify - the only autobids are for playoff champions in each league. Every team in a league right now is still in line for an autobid.

I ran the numbers on the weekend and only changed the two Tech-Ferris results to a pair of wins for the Huskies. That only moved Tech up to 10th, showing you how other results have such a big influence on positioning right now. Their RPI was .5598 and got just above SCSU, and RPI is the tiebreak in comparisons.

The biggest influence right now that Tech is fighting is the lack of quality win bonus points. Only Quinnipiac has a lower QWB in the top 16 than MTU has, so a win or two against Mankato would be massive to get that bump. A sweep would actually reel in UMass on QWB points alone.

Comment

• The goaltender duel was a draw last night. Pietila was hard done by for the one regulation goal, coming off a wicked deflection and giving him no chance. McKay's save on the extra attacker shot from Halonen in the 2nd period was one of his best of the season. The Mavs are really really good and in stretches they were almost unplayable, but the Huskies didn't blink. Can't imagine there are a lot of teams that would be happy to play against either one.

Comment

• On the upside, after tonight we'll never have to play 3v3 again this season...
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• I thought it was probably our best game/ effort this year. The game speed was really fast. At times we were chasing, but I still thought it was well played. If we can stay out of the box and shorten lines a bit, especially towards the end of the periods, we can keep it competitive and finish that last second shot tonight.
                      Go Huskies!

Comment

• Note to the Huskies: there is no mercy rule in college hockey. When you have a 2-goal lead in the 3rd period against an inferior team, you do not get to stop playing (although it certainly appears you want to).

Comment

• Bumped up to 10th in the PairWise as of Sunday morning. That should mean the Huskies are now safely in the field for the NCAAs regardless of the semifinal result.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Bumped up to 10th in the PairWise as of Sunday morning. That should mean the Huskies are now safely in the field for the NCAAs regardless of the semifinal result.
                            Yes, and for that reason I will quit complaining. An at-large tourney selection, regardless of how pretty it may (or may not) look along the way, is a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              Bumped up to 10th in the PairWise as of Sunday morning. That should mean the Huskies are now safely in the field for the NCAAs regardless of the semifinal result.
                              I’m not sure if playoff status update at 9:45 last night was before or after the OT winner, but it says a loss drops us to 41% ncaa probability.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post

I’m not sure if playoff status update at 9:45 last night was before or after the OT winner, but it says a loss drops us to 41% ncaa probability.
                                Just checked and they have updated the odds. Tech has a 87% chance of making it.

Let's go Tech! One more win and we are solidly in.
                                Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-07-2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X