No announcement yet.

<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had our chance at the end there but missed on the breakaway. The face-off stats could have been better also. Blake was fantastic!
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Have we even gotten a shot on goal in OT this year? Had a chance to possess the puck right off the draw and meekly swatted it to Mankato. You cannot win games when you're terrified of contact. It's like boys against men when we are 3-on-3. It really highlights our refusal (or inability) to recruit competent skilled skaters.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Mankato ran picks all night and got away with it. It's no surprise they did it in the OT for the winner.
        Yes, but I'm not blaming officiating for this one. If they're letting that stuff go then adapt. I also thought there were some interference calls that could've gone against us in the middle stages. We lost because we can't score and we can't skate 3-on-3. At all.
        Last edited by HuskyDut; 12-03-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Joe mentioned it post game... We have good players, but we are not playing well (enough) as a team. yet. Lots of good individual effort, but MSU really impresses the way the play together as a team.

But overall, we had the shot to win with 10 sec left. Maybe we didn’t deserve to be there at the end of the game, but if they let you hang around you gotta bury that one.

oh yeah. faceoffs. faceoffs. faceoffs.
          Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post

Yes, but I'm not blaming officiating for this one. If they're letting that stuff go then adapt. I also thought there were some interference calls that could've gone against us in the middle stages. We lost because we can't score and we can't skate 3-on-3. At all.
            in the great scheme of things OT doesn't count for much. and yes we can skate, that's not the issue.

Comment

in the great scheme of things OT doesn't count for much. and yes we can skate, that's not the issue.
              Ok, I'll bite. What's the issue then? Why are we so ineffective in 3-on-3 situations?

I agree in terms of Pairwise OT isn't a huge deal, but that's a lot of conference points we are leaving on the table. For a guy who has never played a conference playoff series at home, you would think Joe would focus on this.

Comment

• At a 10,000 ft level, I feel like Mankato (and other top teams) are coached to win games. Tech is being coached to not make mistakes and not lose. There is a big difference. Coaching to win means taking risks and going for it. Coaching not to lose results in plays like the OT faceoff. Tech wins the draw but then decides to just give up the puck to the Mavs at the first bit of pressure (aka, make the "safe" play). If you want to win you WANT the puck on your stick. Tech never touched the puck again after that give away, game over.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  At a 10,000 ft level, I feel like Mankato (and other top teams) are coached to win games. Tech is being coached to not make mistakes and not lose. There is a big difference. Coaching to win means taking risks and going for it. Coaching not to lose results in plays like the OT faceoff. Tech wins the draw but then decides to just give up the puck to the Mavs at the first bit of pressure (aka, make the "safe" play). If you want to win you WANT the puck on your stick. Tech never touched the puck again after that give away, game over.
                  Exactly. With a really hot goalie you may get an occasional 1-0 or 2-1 win against a team like MSU. But you will never win an OT with that style of play.

Go Huskies!

Comment

• I thought we played better Saturday. A few thoughts:
                    1. We lost way to many faceoffs. Many were draws that we lost in the following scrum. It kills the PK and PP, and your always chasing the puck for the first 15 seconds of each shift.
                    2. We did well on the boards. Especially the forecheck. Good energy to pressure MSU and prevent easy exits.
                    3. The difference in the game was the play in front of the net. MSU got the puck in front of the net and created a lot more quality scoring opportunities. We need to find a way to connect passes to the front.
                    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Joe said on his show today that we have a goalie committed for next season. His identity does not seem to be public knowledge, but I have some guesses:

1. Max Gutjahr (Amarillo, NAHL) – from Appleton, Wis.; NAHL goaltender of the month for November; teammate of Oliver Bezick
                      2. Alex Tracy (Sioux City, USHL) – best uncommitted 20-year-old USHL goaltender; from Chicago
                      3. Sam Evola (Johnstown, NAHL) – from Rochester, Mich.; 12th best sv.% in NAHL (10+ GP)
                      4. Lassi Lehti (El Paso, NAHL) – 8th best sv% in NAHL (10+ GP); Houghton may be a welcome change after El Paso for an Espoo native

Comment

• Joe said on his show that he wasn't against all pick plays, only the moving ones. I disagree with that. I think it's dangerous and should be more tightly enforced. Too easy, imho, for kids to get hurt and it disrupts the flow of the game if you ask me. Plus it allows a team that is having trouble in zone entry for instance to get zone entry via the pick. Wisconsin uses it on the pp so that the point man can wipe off a defender and get a free look at the net.

Comment

Joe said on his show that he wasn't against all pick plays, only the moving ones. I disagree with that. I think it's dangerous and should be more tightly enforced. Too easy, imho, for kids to get hurt and it disrupts the flow of the game if you ask me. Plus it allows a team that is having trouble in zone entry for instance to get zone entry via the pick. Wisconsin uses it on the pp so that the point man can wipe off a defender and get a free look at the net.
                          How is it dangerous? Their teammates need to call out the pic if they see it being set up. They could set up a 2 second "set" rule where the person setting the pick can't move and has to be "flat footed." I don't know about hockey, but in basketball, injuries rarely happened off the pick. If they let knees, elbows and guys move, then yes, it will cause injuries. That is up to officiating to stop/control.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            Joe said on his show today that we have a goalie committed for next season. His identity does not seem to be public knowledge, but I have some guesses:

1. Max Gutjahr (Amarillo, NAHL) – from Appleton, Wis.; NAHL goaltender of the month for November; teammate of Oliver Bezick
                            2. Alex Tracy (Sioux City, USHL) – best uncommitted 20-year-old USHL goaltender; from Chicago
                            3. Sam Evola (Johnstown, NAHL) – from Rochester, Mich.; 12th best sv.% in NAHL (10+ GP)
                            4. Lassi Lehti (El Paso, NAHL) – 8th best sv% in NAHL (10+ GP); Houghton may be a welcome change after El Paso for an Espoo native
                            Well, Alex Tracy is off the board - he just committed to Mankato.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post

Well, Alex Tracy is off the board - he just committed to Mankato.
                              I realize this started out as an educated guess... I am hoping they are looking globally. Thanks for the updates.
                              Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

How is it dangerous? Their teammates need to call out the pic if they see it being set up. They could set up a 2 second "set" rule where the person setting the pick can't move and has to be "flat footed." I don't know about hockey, but in basketball, injuries rarely happened off the pick. If they let knees, elbows and guys move, then yes, it will cause injuries. That is up to officiating to stop/control.
                                I don't think teammates are very good at calling it out and I don't think refs are very good at discerning whether it is moving or not. I'd like to see them called more.

BTW. We could use AIC to beat Uconn tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X