No announcement yet.

<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sick of the lack of effort and sloppy play by this team. It's a staple of Joe Shawhan's teams and we need better.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      You know after you lose all these OT games 3x3 you would think we would practice this? I mean this type of terrible mistake over and over.... it gets really old watching . I mean how many times do I have to watch this ***. 5 games at home and 4 losses?
      We had no intention of scoring in OT. It looked like we wanted to burn 5 more minutes and get to the Downtowner.
      Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
        I'm so sick of the lack of effort and sloppy play by this team. It's a staple of Joe Shawhan's teams and we need better.
        I disagree. I thought they tried real hard, but the OT has been terrible all year.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I thought we had good effort tonight. Occasional miss-played pucks, yes. I still think we are too focused on keeping six players behind the puck (except that breakaway, of course!) and maintaining a defensive posture all game.

There were two (2) minutes of that game, #58 and #59, where scoring a goal was the mission. And we scored.
          And then we fell back into the bunker game plan.
          Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post

I thought we had good effort tonight. Occasional miss-played pucks, yes. I still think we are too focused on keeping six players behind the puck (except that breakaway, of course!) and maintaining a defensive posture all game.

There were two (2) minutes of that game, #58 and #59, where scoring a goal was the mission. And we scored.
            And then we fell back into the bunker game plan.
            Yeah, lack of effort was a poor choice of words. Lack of urgency, maybe, or lack of structure. It seems our guys panic a little when they are under pressure. As if they aren't sure what to do so they force the pass or simply lift the puck, leading to turnovers.
            Clearly, I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but all too often it appears our opponents are more organized and prepared.

Comment

Yeah, lack of effort was a poor choice of words. Lack of urgency, maybe, or lack of structure. It seems our guys panic a little when they are under pressure. As if they aren't sure what to do so they force the pass or simply lift the puck, leading to turnovers.
              Clearly, I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but all too often it appears our opponents are more organized and prepared.
              Lack of Urgency is a good phrase.

I relistened to Joe’s last podcast. He talked about ”the elephant in the room” being lack of goals. Then he went on to talking about the same old catch phrases; compete level, strong on the puck... I actually think we are doing fine with those things. What I want to see is focus on that ONE TOUCH on the back door. Put the puck in the net. Get odd man rushes that look like we are doing something more than a single hard shot on net from a wide angle behind the circle, or worse yet that behind the back pass to the D to ”set things up”. I’m tired of hearing that we need to do something different and then keep coaching up the same ’compete level’ crap.
              Go Huskies!

Comment

That was a painful post game interview. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a coach say “we can’t score” so many times, in so many ways.
                Go Huskies!

Comment

I thought the focus on play making in front of the net, instead of shot production, was much better tonight. At least periods #1 and 2. Several pretty goals. The 3rd period shift to a dump and run game was a bit frustrating to watch. But we held it together defensively, on big ice, to seal an important game. PP was ultimately the difference in the game. I like the win, but I think I would have been ok with any outcome given the way we were playing tonight.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

I think this weekends' results will go a long way towards demonstrating how the rest of this season is likely to go, as well as how much more leash I'm going to be willing to give the Shawhan regime. Bemidji has had the better of us lately, but on paper I think we've got the better team this season.

Comment

• Great win tonight. Tech outperformed Bemidji most of the night and were rewarded. My fingernails are in disarray regardless.

Comment

• We came out with a lot of energy. Controlled the first couple periods. We were the better team. Came out with a good win.

But our PK looked horrible. We had some real bad giveaways in front of our net. Looked like we were gassed and had no legs at the end of the game.

I’d feel a lot better if the game winning goal was a pass to the back door, instead of a poor shot that deflected off a defenseman...right to the back door. Even the BSU announcers were surprised we couldn’t find the trailer on a 3rd period odd man rush. We got some puck luck tonight, but I’m worried about the way we won this one.
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

• It will be interesting to see how the league addresses the officials review of the hand pass penalty call. First, how do they review the penalty. Then, why do they think they “got it right”. I watched the face off again, clearly put his hand on it and pushed it back. BSU announcers were clearly surprised by the reversal as well.

I suspect the ref’s will leave the building without comment again…
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

• I thought we were not as good tonight as any other game all year. Maybe we were tired, I don't know but that 4 minute period in the second, we just went thru the motions vs playing hard. and they took advantage of it.
                            Some of our D men had a real rough night also. Let's hope we get better. For my money, Karow was the best player on the team tonight.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I thought Joe’s post game was pretty accurate. I did not pick up on the Bronte line miss-match. But I’m not so sure that was a game changer.

Overall, we had a hard time getting into the zone- even on the PP, defense had a rough night, and we didn’t play with near the same level of energy. Tom Serratore summed it up; they just had more shifts beat us tonight.
                              Go Huskies!

Comment

• Anyone listen to Joe this week?

I am curious what you all think. Most of the discussion is on the ”Need to compete and drive”. ”Too few players driving the bus. cant have passengers...”. This is a very old, well used reply when we dont play well.

The discussion was then turned on Dirk’s question; ”why?” Joe said ”its not the players. this is on recruiting”. (Basically saying that some of the guys we have recruited will never get there). Bringing in talent from the portal is great, but... are we starting to rely too much on talent/ experience developed elsewhere? And not getting enough development from guys that are here.

I guess I was a bit surprised by the followup question, because I thought this team has as much talent as I have seen in a long time. And what is not discussed is the system, style of play... Are we just a defensively built org that is frustrated with offensive results? Or do we really have guys not competing hard enough, or simply some guys that never will?

Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X