Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtu_huskies
    replied
    Finally listened to the Joe S. show. Is enough discussion being given to this 3x3 not counting as a tie in the PWR? Seems like quite a shift that we're deciding W/L with gimmicky 3x3. The way Joe says it, it seems like quite the shift.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

Shift 1: Swoyer Bliss Halonen
    Shift 2: Gotz L. Pietila Parrottino
    Shift 3: Thorne Ashbrook Crespi (if one not in lineup Bronte or Ganie)
    Repeat until victory
    Anyone followed our opponents close enough to know, are we getting beat 3 on 3 by 2 forwards and a D, or three forwards? I think I would rather see three forwards on the ice.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Cornell(11-3) moved in front of us in the pairwise on the strength of sweeping UND in grand forks. We could use them to lose a couple of games. They have a very easy schedule going forward but in two weeks they have 1 game vs QPac. otherwise Yale and Brown. They are almost a lock, which would get the ECAC two teams in, and depending on Harvard, 3. I don't see Clarkson making it.
    Northeastern,(14-4) who is ahead of us, has ASU midweek this week, then at Vermont for two, and then at UMass for two. HE at least 2 teams in, NU and UMass, but that could change. A lot will depend on the beanpot. Lowell(11-3) has the best chance. and PC knocking at the door. We could really use for NU to lose a few.
    OSU,(15-6) also ahead of us, has Wisconsin today, after beating them last night, and at Notre Dame next week. Notre Dame(15-6) is marginally behind us. Big has, Michigan, Minnesota, OSU, in right now.
    Tech has to win some games.

Leave a comment:

• Huskiefan906
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

Agree on Halonen. Who would you put with him? We can't rely on him to do everything for us.
    Shift 1: Swoyer Bliss Halonen
    Shift 2: Gotz L. Pietila Parrottino
    Shift 3: Thorne Ashbrook Crespi (if one not in lineup Bronte or Ganie)
    Repeat until victory

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    You forgot the part about running multiple pick plays to get someone free.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Agree on Halonen. Who would you put with him? We can't rely on him to do everything for us.
    With our lack of skill on the offensive side of the puck, we really don't have much choice. Current NCAA OT is nothing more than an odd man breakaway drill. The teams do it (3F v 2D) before every single game during warm up. Keep passing and skating in all that open ice until you finally create a 2v1 situation going towards the net and then hope you get a good high percentage shot.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    If we are serious about winning a game in OT, we can start by putting three forwards on the ice in OT. Brian Halonen should be one of the three to start the OT. In most games he looks like the only offensive guy on the ice with the calm, composure and skill needed for all that time and open ice that is available. When we put two defensemen on the ice in OT, it tells me the coaching staff is simply trying not to lose. I don't think that gives the Huskies a chance to win in OT. You need to get the puck and never let the other team touch it again once you do. The next time the opposing team should touch the puck is when they pull it out of their own net after our game winning goal.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Sergei Fedorov is coaching in the KHL for for CSKA and he has a totally different strategy in the 3x3 OT. As soon as his team gets possession of the puck, he pulls the goaltender and creates a 4x3 man advantage. It has worked at least twice in the highlights I've seen, and other teams are starting to take note and try it too. Yes, of course it's a risk, but can you be worse than 1-1-5 in the OT?

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    If we are serious about winning a game in OT, we can start by putting three forwards on the ice in OT. Brian Halonen should be one of the three to start the OT. In most games he looks like the only offensive guy on the ice with the calm, composure and skill needed for all that time and open ice that is available. When we put two defensemen on the ice in OT, it tells me the coaching staff is simply trying not to lose. I don't think that gives the Huskies a chance to win in OT. You need to get the puck and never let the other team touch it again once you do. The next time the opposing team should touch the puck is when they pull it out of their own net after our game winning goal.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    I didn't know the way ties are viewed could be changed mid season. I hope the team takes this as a wake-up call and realizes we can't let the game go to 3 on 3 OT.
    I agree with the desire to avoid OT. And the NCAA is more that capable of changing the secret PWR scheme at any time. But I think our inability to play 3 on 3 competitively is closely related to our teams defensive play style and inability to score (a lot) of goals in the first place. 3 on 3 is more creative, and puts emphasis on a few quality shots, rather than banging home rebounds. I think we could learn from that, and have 6 or 9 players spending massive practice time in those situations. (Maybe we are?). Insight from those close to the program would be great. I just think Joe’s current style of play will lead to a lot of low scoring games with 3 on 3 finishes…

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    I didn't know the way ties are viewed could be changed mid season. I hope the team takes this as a wake-up call and realizes we can't let the game go to 3 on 3 OT.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Honestly I am way past worrying about him. if they choose to continue fine, if not, fine. We have a schedule to play and we need to win games. the omaha loss helped us but the ND loss hurt us. We could use both omaha and Northeastern to lose a few. The NMU and colgate series is also relevant to our pwr. Colgate is not a pushover.

Leave a comment:

• mtu_huskies
    replied
    Check out the college hockey news podcast this week for some good roundtable discussion on the Michigan cancellation. CHN On the Air, Including the CHN Insiders Podcast, and Hockey on Campus Radio Show on Sirius XM : College Hockey News

We know this isn't a real GLI year, but it represents the GLI. They made a good point that Mel knows all about the GLI history and meaning of the holiday tourney being a Tech alum. Amazing to hear how much he doesn't like being in the GLI and doesn't care enough to cancel a game that represents the GLI this year. Dislike Mel more and more.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron.
    66,000 fans watched Karma unfold at the Orange bowl last night...

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story.
    The story isn't that much different. ECAC plays back-to-back nights on weekends and travel between games (albeit shorter trips).

The issue isn't Michigan cancelling the game. The issue is they were vague about the reason and had a hissy fit when they got called out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X