No announcement yet.

<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the nCCHA but we still have a quality problem. Other leagues (B1G, NCHC) can afford to lose a game or two as they are playing top 20 PW teams weekend in and weekend out. If they drop a game here and there to sub 20 teams, all they need to do is beat a top 10 team the next weekend and it is like nothing happened. To expect Tech to go perfect in the CCHA is unrealistic. We have too many teams below PW top 20. I don't care who the team is, every team has a stinker game. We like to hold Mankato up as perfect, but they dropped games to NMU and FSU. Perfection is impossible.

SO win over STU and now a loss to BGSU really did hurt us. Now we need to sweep FSU, at least get 3 points against MnSU, and a first round sweep to have a prayer at an autobid. It seems like we are here every year. I don't know what we can do to "fix" it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      I like the nCCHA but we still have a quality problem. Other leagues (B1G, NCHC) can afford to lose a game or two as they are playing top 20 PW teams weekend in and weekend out. If they drop a game here and there to sub 20 teams, all they need to do is beat a top 10 team the next weekend and it is like nothing happened. To expect Tech to go perfect in the CCHA is unrealistic. We have too many teams below PW top 20. I don't care who the team is, every team has a stinker game. We like to hold Mankato up as perfect, but they dropped games to NMU and FSU. Perfection is impossible.

SO win over STU and now a loss to BGSU really did hurt us. Now we need to sweep FSU, at least get 3 points against MnSU, and a first round sweep to have a prayer at an autobid. It seems like we are here every year. I don't know what we can do to "fix" it.
      Mankato can absorb losses to Ferris & Northern because they dominated a ridiculously difficult OOC schedule. What can Tech (not we, or you) do? Start with not blowing a 3-1 lead, TWICE to UST. How about beating a mediocre State rather than losing in OT? Yeah, even good teams (as mentioned, the Mankato losses to Ferris & Northern) lose here and there. It's not the here & there. It's the awful overtime record. It's that there are 2 examples for Mankato & 6 for Tech. Seriously, you people are supposed to be good at math. How do you not understand how the Pairwise works?
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Well I think you miss the point. LH is saying that we can't win them all and it hurts us. that's true. it's also true that not winning things we could have and should have won, hurt us too. that's water under the bridge at this point. We can only deal with the future. Let's start with sweeping Ferris which has become a must win series. I don't think it's realistic to expect a split with Mankato. it's possible of course but the odds are we won't.
        After that we have to win in the playoffs. let's do what we can and live with the results. our OOC schedule was not super easy btw. But I must admit mankato's was tougher.
        A lot of our ranking is dependent on how two or three series come out. Does BU beat NU in the beanpot? Does MSU split with Notre Dame, Does BC beat NU next week? will UND split with Duluth? all of those happen and our ranking rises.
        Last edited by manurespreader; 02-14-2022, 08:59 AM.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Mankato can absorb losses to Ferris & Northern because they dominated a ridiculously difficult OOC schedule. What can Tech (not we, or you) do? Start with not blowing a 3-1 lead, TWICE to UST. How about beating a mediocre State rather than losing in OT? Yeah, even good teams (as mentioned, the Mankato losses to Ferris & Northern) lose here and there. It's not the here & there. It's the awful overtime record. It's that there are 2 examples for Mankato & 6 for Tech. Seriously, you people are supposed to be good at math. How do you not understand how the Pairwise works?
          If you think the overtime record is the difference in the PairWise, it's clearly YOU who doesn't understand it.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

If you think the overtime record is the difference in the PairWise, it's clearly YOU who doesn't understand it.
            Lol, yes. I'm well aware of the math for overtime Pairwise. My point is the five opponents (UST x2, State, Northern & Lake) Tech should have been able to beat in regulation (THAT abysmal OT record) plus the BG loss. The only other top-10 PairWise team even close to that is Duluth with 5 less than full wins vs bottom half teams, but most of those are OOC. Don't blame conference strength when you can't beat said bottom feeders in regulation
            Last edited by moose97; 02-14-2022, 01:36 PM.

AHA:
            ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Lol, yes. I'm well aware of the math for overtime Pairwise. My point is the five opponents (UST x2, State, Northern & Lake) Tech should have been able to beat in regulation (THAT abysmal OT record) plus the BG loss. The only other top-10 PairWise team even close to that is Duluth with 5 less than full wins vs bottom half teams, but most of those are OOC. Don't blame conference strength when you can't beat said bottom feeders in regulation
              The only way those games influence the PairWise when you're in contention is in the common opponents comparison. St Thomas vs SCSU (2), LSSU vs Michigan (2), and MSU vs Michigan (4) are the only games of any consequence in that stat. Tech wasn't going to win either COP stats against either team in those anyway. Beating them does nothing, it actually hurts your RPI. In the PairWise formula it's better to lose to a bad team than it is to a good team more often than not.

Comment

The only way those games influence the PairWise when you're in contention is in the common opponents comparison.
                Um, RPI would like to have a word with you.
                Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Tech wasn't going to win either COP stats against either team in those anyway. Beating them does nothing, it actually hurts your RPI.
                Winning a game that lowers your RPI, that gets thrown out. Tech sure as hell can win those comparisons based on RPI. Because the tiebreaker is RPI. Tech gets a higher RPI, they flip those comparisons.
                Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                In the PairWise formula it's better to lose to a bad team than it is to a good team more often than not.
                Dear God, do you actually believe this? Yes, a win that lowers your RPI gets it thrown out, but not a loss. I'm dumbfounded you think that statement is accurate. It's laughable.
                Last edited by moose97; 02-14-2022, 03:08 PM.

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

• Go back to following your team who is plummeting to 7th and lucky to stay out of the cellar. I guess that's why you're so concerned with PWR for other teams since yours is irrelevant.

Comment

• Leave the poor NMU fan alone. One would think getting beat 8-1 and now trailing the overall series was bad enough but they can't let sleeping dogs lie.

While PW and RPI have a lot of moving parts and other teams can hurt/help us, IMO the biggest thing Tech control what we can control. I hope the guys can get some R&R before going to FSU and playing in their shoebox.

Comment

• Sad news about everyone's favorite referee from back in the day. Topper Ricci was famous for "thumbing" players to the box when he called penalties. Many a game in those days had an all local officiating crew with Topper, his son Brien, and John DePuydt.

Topper also ran the show in 5 NCAA tournaments, including the 1980 championship game between North Dakota and NMU. A great guy.

http://www.mininggazette.com/obituar...-topper-ricci/

Comment

• Matt Quercia has left the program for the ECHL (Wheeling).

Comment

• I figured he would. I would have too.

Comment

• For those people not watching the olympics.
                            https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olympic...170245056.html

Comment

Sad news about everyone's favorite referee from back in the day. Topper Ricci was famous for "thumbing" players to the box when he called penalties. Many a game in those days had an all local officiating crew with Topper, his son Brien, and John DePuydt.

Topper also ran the show in 5 NCAA tournaments, including the 1980 championship game between North Dakota and NMU. A great guy.

http://www.mininggazette.com/obituar...-topper-ricci/
                              One of the good guys in the game. And one of the best officials!
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Well...I don't know what to say. Can't keep giving away opportunities like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X