X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Thinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Redridge View Post
    The NCAA playoffs are probably lost at this point.
    If you don't need to keep that #12 spot in Pairwise for anything, we'll be happy to take it off your hands for you.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I hate that rink!. I also thought the refs were not all that great, but doesn't Bliss know the rules? He got called for the same penalty two nights in a row!

Leave a comment:

• model94
    replied
    We seemed to be at 4/5th speed with occasional flashes of normal. Officiating was bizarre though. Saturday was the "day of esoteric penalties". Blake had an off night, that will happen. That arena is great for watching a game, every seat is really close. But, not sure how to put this, it doesn't seem to have any soul.

Leave a comment:

• Redridge
    replied
    The NCAA playoffs are probably lost at this point. I just don’t understand why Joe can’t light a fire under this team. He said our backs were up against the wall… in the 3rd period. Our playoff hopes were against the wall after we got smoked by BG last week. And we still played 5 periods of “out of sync” hockey, as Dirk described it, against one of the worst teams in the country, before finally feeling compelled to come back and tie it. I honestly can’t watch anymore of this.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    File tonight's game under "When a win is not a victory and feels like a loss..."
    It had pretty much the same feeling as "winning" Winter Carnival by losing the second game.
    The players' faces say it all.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyDut
    replied
    Well...I don't know what to say. Can't keep giving away opportunities like this.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Sad news about everyone's favorite referee from back in the day. Topper Ricci was famous for "thumbing" players to the box when he called penalties. Many a game in those days had an all local officiating crew with Topper, his son Brien, and John DePuydt.

Topper also ran the show in 5 NCAA tournaments, including the 1980 championship game between North Dakota and NMU. A great guy.

http://www.mininggazette.com/obituar...-topper-ricci/
    One of the good guys in the game. And one of the best officials!

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    For those people not watching the olympics.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olympic...170245056.html

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I figured he would. I would have too.

Leave a comment:

• redwing61
    replied
    Matt Quercia has left the program for the ECHL (Wheeling).

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Sad news about everyone's favorite referee from back in the day. Topper Ricci was famous for "thumbing" players to the box when he called penalties. Many a game in those days had an all local officiating crew with Topper, his son Brien, and John DePuydt.

Topper also ran the show in 5 NCAA tournaments, including the 1980 championship game between North Dakota and NMU. A great guy.

http://www.mininggazette.com/obituar...-topper-ricci/

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Leave the poor NMU fan alone. One would think getting beat 8-1 and now trailing the overall series was bad enough but they can't let sleeping dogs lie.

While PW and RPI have a lot of moving parts and other teams can hurt/help us, IMO the biggest thing Tech control what we can control. I hope the guys can get some R&R before going to FSU and playing in their shoebox.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Go back to following your team who is plummeting to 7th and lucky to stay out of the cellar. I guess that's why you're so concerned with PWR for other teams since yours is irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied
    The only way those games influence the PairWise when you're in contention is in the common opponents comparison.
    Um, RPI would like to have a word with you.
    Tech wasn't going to win either COP stats against either team in those anyway. Beating them does nothing, it actually hurts your RPI.
    Winning a game that lowers your RPI, that gets thrown out. Tech sure as hell can win those comparisons based on RPI. Because the tiebreaker is RPI. Tech gets a higher RPI, they flip those comparisons.
    In the PairWise formula it's better to lose to a bad team than it is to a good team more often than not.
    Dear God, do you actually believe this? Yes, a win that lowers your RPI gets it thrown out, but not a loss. I'm dumbfounded you think that statement is accurate. It's laughable.
    Last edited by moose97; 02-14-2022, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Lol, yes. I'm well aware of the math for overtime Pairwise. My point is the five opponents (UST x2, State, Northern & Lake) Tech should have been able to beat in regulation (THAT abysmal OT record) plus the BG loss. The only other top-10 PairWise team even close to that is Duluth with 5 less than full wins vs bottom half teams, but most of those are OOC. Don't blame conference strength when you can't beat said bottom feeders in regulation
    The only way those games influence the PairWise when you're in contention is in the common opponents comparison. St Thomas vs SCSU (2), LSSU vs Michigan (2), and MSU vs Michigan (4) are the only games of any consequence in that stat. Tech wasn't going to win either COP stats against either team in those anyway. Beating them does nothing, it actually hurts your RPI. In the PairWise formula it's better to lose to a bad team than it is to a good team more often than not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X