Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<> Michigan Tech Huskies 2021-22: STILL Our 100th Anniversary <>

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
    On the bright side, I feel the 2nd period was our best of the season, even if it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.
    MSU SUCKS
    1 Char

    Comment


    • What the fuck just happened?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Redridge View Post
        Did not see the game. Did we play the OT to win, put a couple forwards out, or just to survive?
        We played OT like we always do. As if we were shorthanded and trying to kill a 5-minute major.

        Comment


        • Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron. Overall, I am more than ready to shake up the GLI and move on with out Michigan and move on to new locations around the Midwest.

          As I've noted before, there are plenty of other NON-conference teams that Tech can bring into this tourney and move the location annually to get more Tech alumni from other parts of the country involved. I would even be ok calling it the Great Lakes tourney (Huskies Holiday Ice Cup or whatever name you want to create) and putting it in outside the Midwest if they really want to reach Tech alumni around the country. UND plays games all over the country at neutral sites and gets fans to show up. I think Tech could have the same draw for one-time events due to the lack of conference teams outside of the Midwest now. Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, or any city with an ECHL sized rink (Get out of the NHL 15k-20k buildings that we can't fill). Time to reboot the GLI in a big way as a last gasp effort before it dies. The first move is to remove Michigan from the equation.
          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 12-31-2021, 02:14 PM.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron. Overall, I am more than ready to shake up the GLI and move on with out Michigan and move on to new locations around the Midwest.

            As I've noted before, there are plenty of other NON-conference teams that Tech can bring into this tourney and move the location annually to get more Tech alumni from other parts of the country involved. I would even be ok calling it the Great Lakes tourney (Huskies Holiday Ice Cup or whatever name you want to create) and putting it in outside the Midwest if they really want to reach Tech alumni around the country. UND plays games all over the country at neutral sites and gets fans to show up. I think Tech could have the same draw for one-time events due to the lack of conference teams outside of the Midwest now. Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, or any city with an ECHL sized rink (Get out of the NHL 15k-20k buildings that we can't fill). Time to reboot the GLI in a big way as a last gasp effort before it dies. The first move is to remove Michigan from the equation.
            I'm not in favor of that.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

            It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story.
              The story isn't that much different. ECAC plays back-to-back nights on weekends and travel between games (albeit shorter trips).

              The issue isn't Michigan cancelling the game. The issue is they were vague about the reason and had a hissy fit when they got called out.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Overall it just makes no sense to play one night and not the other. Western college hockey is nearly all back to back games all season long. Eastern hockey, where they seem willing to play almost any night of the week, is another story. If Michigan had pulled out of both games, then maybe I buy the "health and safety" angle. But if Michigan's athletes are in grave danger and putting their health at risk, then they shouldn't be playing at all, and that means ALL sports... including the football team going for a National Championship. But we know they won't get the plug pulled on them in the name of "health and safety" because there is too much money to be made on the gridiron.
                66,000 fans watched Karma unfold at the Orange bowl last night...
                Go Huskies!

                Comment


                • Check out the college hockey news podcast this week for some good roundtable discussion on the Michigan cancellation. CHN On the Air, Including the CHN Insiders Podcast, and Hockey on Campus Radio Show on Sirius XM : College Hockey News

                  We know this isn't a real GLI year, but it represents the GLI. They made a good point that Mel knows all about the GLI history and meaning of the holiday tourney being a Tech alum. Amazing to hear how much he doesn't like being in the GLI and doesn't care enough to cancel a game that represents the GLI this year. Dislike Mel more and more.

                  Comment


                  • Honestly I am way past worrying about him. if they choose to continue fine, if not, fine. We have a schedule to play and we need to win games. the omaha loss helped us but the ND loss hurt us. We could use both omaha and Northeastern to lose a few. The NMU and colgate series is also relevant to our pwr. Colgate is not a pushover.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                    Comment


                    • I didn't know the way ties are viewed could be changed mid season. I hope the team takes this as a wake-up call and realizes we can't let the game go to 3 on 3 OT.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                        I didn't know the way ties are viewed could be changed mid season. I hope the team takes this as a wake-up call and realizes we can't let the game go to 3 on 3 OT.
                        I agree with the desire to avoid OT. And the NCAA is more that capable of changing the secret PWR scheme at any time. But I think our inability to play 3 on 3 competitively is closely related to our teams defensive play style and inability to score (a lot) of goals in the first place. 3 on 3 is more creative, and puts emphasis on a few quality shots, rather than banging home rebounds. I think we could learn from that, and have 6 or 9 players spending massive practice time in those situations. (Maybe we are?). Insight from those close to the program would be great. I just think Joe’s current style of play will lead to a lot of low scoring games with 3 on 3 finishes…

                        Go Huskies!

                        Comment


                        • If we are serious about winning a game in OT, we can start by putting three forwards on the ice in OT. Brian Halonen should be one of the three to start the OT. In most games he looks like the only offensive guy on the ice with the calm, composure and skill needed for all that time and open ice that is available. When we put two defensemen on the ice in OT, it tells me the coaching staff is simply trying not to lose. I don't think that gives the Huskies a chance to win in OT. You need to get the puck and never let the other team touch it again once you do. The next time the opposing team should touch the puck is when they pull it out of their own net after our game winning goal.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                          Comment


                          • Sergei Fedorov is coaching in the KHL for for CSKA and he has a totally different strategy in the 3x3 OT. As soon as his team gets possession of the puck, he pulls the goaltender and creates a 4x3 man advantage. It has worked at least twice in the highlights I've seen, and other teams are starting to take note and try it too. Yes, of course it's a risk, but can you be worse than 1-1-5 in the OT?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              If we are serious about winning a game in OT, we can start by putting three forwards on the ice in OT. Brian Halonen should be one of the three to start the OT. In most games he looks like the only offensive guy on the ice with the calm, composure and skill needed for all that time and open ice that is available. When we put two defensemen on the ice in OT, it tells me the coaching staff is simply trying not to lose. I don't think that gives the Huskies a chance to win in OT. You need to get the puck and never let the other team touch it again once you do. The next time the opposing team should touch the puck is when they pull it out of their own net after our game winning goal.
                              Agree on Halonen. Who would you put with him? We can't rely on him to do everything for us.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                                Agree on Halonen. Who would you put with him? We can't rely on him to do everything for us.
                                With our lack of skill on the offensive side of the puck, we really don't have much choice. Current NCAA OT is nothing more than an odd man breakaway drill. The teams do it (3F v 2D) before every single game during warm up. Keep passing and skating in all that open ice until you finally create a 2v1 situation going towards the net and then hope you get a good high percentage shot.
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X