LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

QU doesn't seem to be interested in HE. Sacred Heart to Hockey East and LIU to Atlantic is probably best scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      What about the possibility that QU becomes the 12th HEA school as has been rumored on several occasions and LIU replaces them in the ECAC? I know nothing about LIU's academics but geographically they would be a better fit for PU than QU has been. Just a thought, not based upon the slightest knowledge.
      I was just looking at LIU's academics. LIU Brooklyn in 2018 had an 84% admissions rate. Not really an ECAC profile school.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        What money do they need? Short of the NCAA forcing them to have scholarships (which they didn’t do to the early days of the AHA/MAAC), what new expenses would they have?
        Facilities primarily. There is no reason for them to play up and not try to upgrade their programs.

Also, travel costs would increase.

Comment

What about the possibility that QU becomes the 12th HEA school as has been rumored on several occasions and LIU replaces them in the ECAC? I know nothing about LIU's academics but geographically they would be a better fit for PU than QU has been. Just a thought, not based upon the slightest knowledge.
          Sacred Heart and RIT are the most likely adds to the ECAC if any school were to leave

Comment

there's almost no difference geographically Princeton->Hamden CT - than Princeton->Syosset LI ... and 1 less bridge to go over

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Now that the initial surprise has worn off, a few factors that don't seem to pass the "make sense" test:

--The fact that absolutely nobody, especially those with deep ties to the college hockey world, seem to have had an inkling that this was coming. There are military secrets that have been less secret.
              --The seeming impossibility of starting up so soon with no coaches, staff, players, or even a schedule in place.
              --The fact that apparently nobody in the D1 coaching universe seems to know anything about this (per Mike McMahon).
              --The online "questionnaire" that prospective student athletes are invited to send. That's not the way players in any sport are recruited, especially at the D1 level.
              --No mention of where the funding is coming from at a time when both public and private universities are taking deep financial hits due to the ongoing public health emergency.

I absolutely hope this happens but at second glance, taking the LIU announcement at face value just doesn't seem to compute.
              USCHO.com has never been wrong when announcing new D1 hockey schools. If the school sent out a press release explaining they are starting a D1 one team then I believe them.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

College Hockey News: LIU Dives In, With A Lot Of Work To Do

"For people this came out of the blue, they didn't have the luxury of seeing the plans behind the scenes," Martinov said.

"Obviously a month or so ago in the chaos was not the time (to make the announcement)," Martinov said. "Maybe just a bit before Covid would've been better. But we feel like at this moment, in terms of bringing the program to campus this fall and recruiting, we do need to do this now. And we're confident we can move forward and be successful with these plans.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Everything I've heard from QU is that they are very happy in the ECAC. When we first moved to CT more than 25 years ago the thought that QC, as it was known at the time, would be in a league with their Whitney Avenue neighbor was laughable. Since then, they've added a law school, med school, two additional campuses and greatly increased their academic reputation/admissions pool. Now they've got a rivalry with Yale that's even better than anything they could have in HE (including UConn) and they've got a legitimate chance in the ECAC every year. It's everything they wanted.

I've noticed some here mentioning Sacred Heart to HE or the ECAC. To anyone that went to a Sacred Heart game before this season that would have been just as laughable as QU's dreams above. They too have grown significantly in terms of campus facilities but I don't think they fit the academic model of the ECAC and the athletic model of HE. They used to draw a few hundred to the rink in Milford (nearly 20 miles from campus) and moving to Webster Bank Arena (about 5 miles) hasn't really changed things. Only the improved performance of this year's team and the drawings for the rink on their new second campus at GE's old HQ (about 1/2 mile from main campus) make either league even a remote possibility. I'm sure it take completing the rink and several seasons of on ice performance combined with strong attendance before admission would even be considered.
                  Last edited by rpi82; 05-01-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    What money do they need? Short of the NCAA forcing them to have scholarships (which they didn’t do to the early days of the AHA/MAAC), what new expenses would they have?
                    The NCAA doesn’t force anyone to have scholarships.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

As far as an athletic profile, Sacred Heart isn't near Merrimack? Would that be the best comp?

Comment

What about the possibility that QU becomes the 12th HEA school...?
                        Only my opinion but I can't see where it would be in QPac's interest to walk away from a consistently dominating position in its current league in exchange for becoming a face in the crowd in a different league.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          ...Only the improved performance of this year's team and the drawings for the rink on their new second campus at GE's old HQ (about 1/2 mile from main campus) make either league even a remote possibility. I'm sure it take completing the rink and several seasons of on ice performance combined with strong attendance before admission would even be considered.
                          NEVER underestimate Bobby Valentine !!!
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            Only my opinion but I can't see where it would be in QPac's interest to walk away from a consistently dominating position in its current league in exchange for becoming a face in the crowd in a different league.
                            Pretty sure we want to remain the big fish in a small pond for the foreseeable future.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Pretty sure we want to remain the big fish in a small pond for the foreseeable future.
                              Wow! I was pretty complimentary to QU because I've witnessed their extraordinary growth, but I think referring to themselves as "the big fish in a small pond" is a vast overstatement for a program that has won exactly one ECAC tournament title. Oddly enough, they've played in as many NCAA championship games (2, both losses) as they have ECAC championship games (one win, one loss). In the ECAC they've consistently been one of the bigger fish over the past 15 years, as evidenced by 3 1/2 Cleary Cups for regular season champs, but "the big fish" implies that they are dominant (or "consistently dominant" as another poster claimed) and there isn't really a case for that.
                              Last edited by rpi82; 05-01-2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                NEVER underestimate Bobby Valentine !!!
                                You've obviously forgotten the 2012 Red Sox.

Comment

Working...
                                X