No announcement yet.

Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2009-10 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2009-10 edition

Originally posted by Todd View Post
    I think "more sense" in this case, as it so often is, is arbitrary. The case can be made for any approach.
    Todd, thanks for this post. I started to write something along the same lines, but I stopped and never got back to it. I agree that the "tie-breaker standings" should just be used from top to bottom for seeding. If there is anothe tie just compare those teams H2H. Using Jim Connelly's example:

• Northeastern: 7-5-0 (14 points)
    • Merrimack: 6-6-0 (12 points)
    • Vermont: 5-5-2 (12 points)
    • Boston University: 5-6-1 (11 points)
    • UMass: 5-7-0 (10 points)

NU is the highest seed, then compare Merrimack and Vermont H2H for the next 2 seeds:

• Merrimack: 2-0-1 (5 points)
    • Vermont: 0-2-1 (1 point)

So Merrimack would be 2nd and Vermont 3rd, Then go back to the tie-breaker standings and BU would be 4th and UMass last.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Comment

• Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2009-10 edition

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever find out what the Hockey East Tiebreaker actually is for this season?
      #NewMass

Comment

HOCKEY EAST TIEBREAKERS

At the conclusion of the regular season, teams will be ranked by the number of points accumulated. If two teams are tied for first place, they will be declared co-champions.

For playoff seeding purposes, the following tiebreakers will be used at the conclusion of the regular season

1. Head-to-head results between the tied teams

2. Number of wins in conference play

3. Best record against the first-place team(s), then the second-place team(s), then the third-place team(s), and so on

4. Coin flip

If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again.

Link: Scroll to the bottom of the page.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
        X