Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.W. had a fire that was contagious to his players and staff. He would have been a great car salesman…….
    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
    Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
      S.W. had a fire that was contagious to his players and staff. He would have been a great car salesman ...
      If ever there was a post begging for someone to locate the old Tri-City Dodge commercial clip featuring Walshy and Umile circa 1999, this would be the time/place for someone to impress us.

I tried, I failed, so I leave it to someone far more tech talented than myself to dig that nugget up.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Not sure about that, BoSox. Utah plays in the Mountain West.

I don't believe that anyone can win at Maine right now, given the roster. Even Belichick fell on his face last year, "genius" or whatever. You need to have at least some talent to work with, and Red left the cupboard bare.

Sadly, I expect that Maine will hire another also-ran, and continue to suck.
        the point isnt whether it’ll work, the point is the man in charge has to have a certain hubris and that the man we need to fix this place is going to believe he would win on the moon. Anyone with second thoughts about the crap Timmy and the boosters cry about isnt the guy.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          the point isnt whether it'll work, the point is the man in charge has to have a certain hubris and that the man we need to fix this place is going to believe he would win on the moon. Anyone with second thoughts about the crap Timmy and the boosters cry about isnt the guy.
          Bingo. Winners don't make (or need) excuses. Whiners make excuses when they can't be winners.

Comment

• Anything on the UMass threads about Barr potentially leaving?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

He was hired April 20th, with front page blurb and lead in sports

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...1494%2C1951728

The search began March 28th with four finalists: Mike Adessa (future NCAA champ), Walsh (future 2x NCAA champ), David Conte (multiple NHL championships) and UNH's Dave O'Connor (recruiter for the UNH 1984-1988 teams).
              The baseball article in the BDN that day brings back great memories of Maine in Omaha. One relief pitcher away from glory in Baseball
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

The baseball article in the BDN that day brings back great memories of Maine in Omaha. One relief pitcher away from glory in Baseball
                I was thinking the same thing....that was more interesting than the hockey article. Arizona 8 Maine 7......damn Mike "Buck" Ballou!

Comment

I watched that game in a Philly bar. Wasn't Maine up 7-1 in the 9th? Still have sore nuts over that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

I was thinking the same thing....that was more interesting than the hockey article. Arizona 8 Maine 7......damn Mike "Buck" Ballou!
                    Yeah, he sucked. In fairness I don't think Winkin handled relief pitchers all that well. Sure was cool to watch some of those great teams though. One of favorite memories was Billy Swift playing centerfield in a regional in Orono. I think it was Navy they were playing. Third base coach sent a runner on 2nd on a single to Swifty in center, Maine Catcher had ball in glove before runner was halfway down the 3rd baseline. Swifty threw a line drive right to the catcher.

Comment

Yeah, he sucked. In fairness I don't think Winkin handled relief pitchers all that well. Sure was cool to watch some of those great teams though. One of favorite memories was Billy Swift playing centerfield in a regional in Orono. I think it was Navy they were playing. Third base coach sent a runner on 2nd on a single to Swifty in center, Maine Catcher had ball in glove before runner was halfway down the 3rd baseline. Swifty threw a line drive right to the catcher.
                      I played college ball for Swifty - he had plenty of great stories about making Omaha their home. Great guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I checked and you are right. Definitely a red flag. Hopefully there is nothing dodgy in Barr’s background. As we found out with what happened with Monty last time it doesn’t take very much. Maybe the fact Ralph has known him for a while helps.
                        He wouldn't be at UMass with Carvel if there was anything amiss with Barr....that guy runs a tight ship. As an RPI fan, I can tell you that Barr was one of two finalists for the RPI job that ultimately went to Dave Smith (Canisius). I had it told to me that Barr fully believed he would be offered the job. Word was that RPI did not want to hire another first time head coach after Appert - who was hired by Ken Ralph . I wouldn't read too much into ANY RPI admin decisions.....as they are not be understood often times.

Benny is a good guy who excelled as a player and now as an AC. He's an elite recruiter -- I hope he gets the gig in Orono.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Ahh, the good days. Bringing in a cooler with beer, Hale’s play by play voice drifting down from the media box, just watching the boys hosting regionals, then off to Omaha.
                          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

He wouldn't be at UMass with Carvel if there was anything amiss with Barr....that guy runs a tight ship. As an RPI fan, I can tell you that Barr was one of two finalists for the RPI job that ultimately went to Dave Smith (Canisius). I had it told to me that Barr fully believed he would be offered the job. Word was that RPI did not want to hire another first time head coach after Appert - who was hired by Ken Ralph . I wouldn't read too much into ANY RPI admin decisions.....as they are not be understood often times.

Benny is a good guy who excelled as a player and now as an AC. He's an elite recruiter -- I hope he gets the gig in Orono.
                            Good to know. It is a little surprising he has been a bridesmaid so many times given his track record as an assistant.

Hopefully we find out today or tomorrow who the winner is.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              He wouldn't be at UMass with Carvel if there was anything amiss with Barr....that guy runs a tight ship. As an RPI fan, I can tell you that Barr was one of two finalists for the RPI job that ultimately went to Dave Smith (Canisius). I had it told to me that Barr fully believed he would be offered the job. Word was that RPI did not want to hire another first time head coach after Appert - who was hired by Ken Ralph. I wouldn't read too much into ANY RPI admin decisions.....as they are not be understood often times.

Interesting ... wonder if RPI has any 2nd thoughts on that hire? Hard to believe they don't ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post

Ahh, the good days. Bringing in a cooler with beer, Hale’s play by play voice drifting down from the media box, just watching the boys hosting regionals, then off to Omaha.
                                Right field harassing Rider College right fielders

Comment

Working...
                                X