This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Way too quick of a move...too quick imo. They could have made this move in 3 weeks after checking around in interested Coaches...and then go with Guite. With that said this has the feeling more of a money move by Ralph. Trust me I have no problems with Guite, and will support him and the Program. Another question will be who do they bring in as a assistant with Michuad.?
    It isn't necessarily a long term thing, they are doing a national search per the BDN article about this announcement. They just need someone to make sure that the lights stay on. It could be Guite permanently, it could be someone else.

Comment

....... Another question will be who do they bring in as a assistant with Michuad.?
      Good question. My guess is that Michaud is promoted to assistant and they will find another coach at the entry level to fill Michaud's position (no money). Guite will have the position for one year and if things go well and Maine has a .500 record, he will be extended for 3 years. That's my crystal ball. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

It isn't necessarily a long term thing, they are doing a national search per the BDN article about this announcement. They just need someone to make sure that the lights stay on. It could be Guite permanently, it could be someone else.
        I hear you and you have a good point with your statement, but imo the lights have been out for 8 seasons, what would 3 more weeks have hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Good question. My guess is that Michaud is promoted to assistant and they will find another coach at the entry level to fill Michaud's position (no money). Guite will have the position for one year and if things go well and Maine has a .500 record, he will be extended for 3 years. That's my crystal ball. :-)
          I suspect that's a pretty good crystal ball, now that Guite has been named interim HC.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I don't see someone coming in and not getting paid...would be foolish not to bring in another assistant without any back ground to the College game and recruiting.

Comment

I don't see someone coming in and not getting paid...would be foolish not to bring in another assistant without any back ground to the College game and recruiting.
              Michaud is already an assistant and getting paid. It’s the new guy they brought in last summer who is the volunteer assistant.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• This really doesn't belong in the Maine thread, but since I posted the coaches compensation here I thought I would post my update here as well. I received UMD's 2020 report and Coach Sandelin received a hefty salary increase and/or bonus for winning back-to-back national titles:

2019 487,870
                2020 852,332 74.7%

That was 29.4% of the total expenses for the team, 42.5% of the total compensation for all head coaches and 25% of the entire coaching compensation for 2020.

Also, Coach Sneddon got a nice little payout when he stepped down in 2020 as his compensation jumped 32% from 2019.

2019 433,462
                2020 572,316 32.0%

I'm still waiting on 7 FOIA requests, but I've updated my spreadsheet with all the NCAA reports I have received and the 2019 EADA reports (the 2020 reports are no yet available online).

As for Coach Guite, based on Coach Vachon's compensation as interim head coach I would guess he will see a good increase, but probably no more than $200 total compensation. As for assistants, I would expect that if he hires one that would mean he is going to be the coach for the 2020-21 season (and the assistant will be paid).

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                  Sneddon and Barr? ;-)
                  LOL. No, and no.

Comment

• Ralph said UMaine will begin a national search next week with a small search committee and that Guite will be a “very strong candidate.”

He explained that it could hurt recruiting if Guite was appointed for a one-year term as interim coach because recruits wouldn’t be assured he would get the full-time job.

The AD also said Guite will receive a pay hike in line with his increased responsibilities.
                    The above is from the BDN story on Guite's appointment. He won't be a long term interim. He will either get the job or he won't in the short term.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting that a national search wasn't being organized already, before Red's death. I think Red was going to be renewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Michaud is already an assistant and getting paid. It’s the new guy they brought in last summer who is the volunteer assistant.
                      Should have been more clear. Promote Michaud to Associate Head Coach and bring in someone at the assistant level. Perhaps promote the current volunteer. I didn't mean not pay the coach. My "no money" comment was in reference to the athletic department not having money enough to bring someone in above an entry level position.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

....I think Red was going to be renewed.
                        Absolutely agree!!

Comment

Absolutely agree!!
                          Which makes me wonder how “committed” the AD and gang are to revitalizing the hockey program.
                          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post

Which makes me wonder how “committed” the AD and gang are to revitalizing the hockey program.
                            My sentiments exactly!! If Guite becomes long term head coach, who is going to be the recruiter?

Comment

• I really don’t like having an interim coach for next season. Obviously administration is in a tough spot with this one, especially if there is no extra budget. For me the prudent thing to do would be to give Ben a four year contract and have a reasonable buyout in it in case things don’t work out.

I think if you leave the interim tag on very long current players and recruits might start to look elsewhere and I’m fairly confident it is the good ones you would lose. It makes it that much tougher to go after guys who aren’t part of the program as well. It’s intereting that Parker and Kleiboer are the only guys currently in the portal. I can’t blame either of them where they haven’t gotten much time and think it’s a really good reflection on Red, Ben, and Alfie.

There are a lot of things that need to be improved with the program but one that should happen immediately is that the AD needs to be a little more positive with the program. I wasn’t a big fan of his comments after the season and I hope at some point he walks some of those back. Everyone involved with the team had a trying time and I think they performed admirably even if the wins and losses weren’t where we wanted them to be. Maine needs to add more up front but overall the program isn’t in a horrible place and what he says should reflect that.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                This really doesn't belong in the Maine thread, but since I posted the coaches compensation here I thought I would post my update here as well. I received UMD's 2020 report and Coach Sandelin received a hefty salary increase and/or bonus for winning back-to-back national titles:

2019 487,870
                                2020 852,332 74.7%

That was 29.4% of the total expenses for the team, 42.5% of the total compensation for all head coaches and 25% of the entire coaching compensation for 2020.

Also, Coach Sneddon got a nice little payout when he stepped down in 2020 as his compensation jumped 32% from 2019.

2019 433,462
                                2020 572,316 32.0%

I'm still waiting on 7 FOIA requests, but I've updated my spreadsheet with all the NCAA reports I have received and the 2019 EADA reports (the 2020 reports are no yet available online).

As for Coach Guite, based on Coach Vachon's compensation as interim head coach I would guess he will see a good increase, but probably no more than $200 total compensation. As for assistants, I would expect that if he hires one that would mean he is going to be the coach for the 2020-21 season (and the assistant will be paid).

Sean
                                Thanks Sean. Obviously, UMD wanted to keep him and it paid off. Going to the championship game again!

Comment

Working...
                                X