Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

So hire him @ $225K for 5 years. He knows what the fan base is like....and that new facilities are coming.
    Yes he could be within the budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      So hire him @ $225K for 5 years. He knows what the fan base is like....and that new facilities are coming.
      Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
      Yes he could be within the budget.
      Keeping him might be a lot harder if he is successful. It appears that Providence got really nervous when BU, Denver and Minnesota (along with Merrimack and then St. Cloud State) were looking for new head coaches as Nate Leaman's reportable and total compensation jumped 61% between 2018 and 2019:

Nate Leaman Compensation
      Reportable Other Total
      2018 491,671 81,191 572,862
      2019 800,267 131,971 932,238

I'm still waiting on a dozen schools for their NCAA reports, but here are the reported compensation amounts for 37 head coaches for 2018, 2019 or 2020 (2016 for Mike Hastings)

Head Coach Compensation
      Coach School Year Compensation
      Nate Leaman Providence 2019 932,238
      Mel Pearson Michigan 2018 859,667
      Bob Motzko Minnesota 2020 769,192
      Jim Montgomery* Denver 2018 725,515
      Jerry York Bosto College 2019 681,392
      Steve Rohlik Ohio State 2020 628,067
      Tony Granto Wisconsin 2020 625,266
      Norm Bazin UMass Lowell 2018 620,872
      Andy Murray Western Michigan 2018 615,300
      Scott Sandelin Minnesota-Duluth 2018 550,625
      Rand Pecknold Quinnipiac 2019 540,084
      Danton Cole Michigan State 2018 507,376
      Grant Potulny Northern Michigan 2020 464,098
      Frank Serratore Air Force 2018 455,493
      Mike Cavanaugh Connecticut 2020 436,022
      Chris Bergeron Miami 2020 428,418
      Greg Carvel Massachusetts 2020 417,790
      Greg Powers Arizona State 2020 413,936
      Kevin Sneddon* Vermont 2018 411,132
      Brad Berry North Dakota 2018 390,708
      Mike Haviland Colorado College 2019 386,905
      Mike Souza New Hampshire 2020 378,120
      Bob Motzko* St. Cloud State 2018 367,498
      Mike Hastings Minnesota State 2016 347,372
      Red Gendron Maine 2020 343,998
      Casey Jones Clarkson 2019 333,367
      Mark Dennehy* Merrimack 2018 325,499
      Mike Gabinet Nebraska Omaha 2018 311,115
      Joe Shawhan Michigan Tech 2020 299,084
      Rick Bennett Union 2019 289,459
      Ty Eigner Bowling Green 2020 287,160
      Matt Curley Alaska-Anchorage 2020 263,491
      Tom Serratore Bemidji State 2018 260,636
      Mark Morris St. Lawrence 2019 247,683
      Bob Daniels Ferris State 2020 204,336
      Dallas Ferguson* Alaska Fairbanks 2018 194,291
      Damon Whitten Lake Superior State 2020 174,713

Four coaches are no longer at the school listed and the new coaches likely have lower compensation, but overall Maine is in the bottom third, so any successfully new coach at Maine may leave for a better paying job.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Swayman must think hes back in Maine being outshot 25-7 in a period. As usual he stopped almost all of them.
        Yes last night for sure but he was without a doubt ready. I just heard he is starting Thursday night as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

I'm still waiting on a dozen schools for their NCAA reports, but here are the reported compensation amounts for 37 head coaches for 2018, 2019 or 2020 (2016 for Mike Hastings)

Sean
          Have BU and Northeastern not been forth coming with their financial information? I notice you have no data for past years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Have BU and Northeastern not been forth coming with their financial information? I notice you have no data for past years.
            They are private institutions so they don't have to make most records available to the public. Therefore I have not requested NCAA financials from them or any of the other private schools and instead I've used the mush more limited EADA reports that they are required to release, as well as looking at their IRS Form 990 to see if the head coach is listed as a top earning employee. For 2019 head coaches at 6 of the 28 private schools were listed on their school's respective Form 990, while former coaches Jim Montgomery and Mark Dennehy had been listed when they were at Denver and Merrimack (only the 5 highest paid employees are listed). So my spreadsheet is like comparing different types of apples (the public schools, each who may report the information to the NCAA differently) and oranges (the private schools, who only have to report some very basic numbers for the EADA and which I supplement with head coach's compensation when possible and estimated scholarship expenses (actual expenses for Clarkson, CC, RPI and SLU). Far from perfect, but the best I can do.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• From the looks of Seans salary list, Maine needs to get north if 500k.
              THanks Sean!

Im actually ok with getting someone who can turn it around and leave if they must for more cash. Once turned around cash flows change and all sorts of options are in play.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 04-07-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• In looking at Seans salary list, Leahman makes almost a mil, seriously, is it fiscally responsible to pay that much for a D1 hockey coach? Can a school recoup that cost in revenue from a successful program? Or are there other not so direct benefits for a school that they could realize with a top tier hockey program?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  In looking at Seans salary list, Leahman makes almost a mil, seriously, is it fiscally responsible to pay that much for a D1 hockey coach? Can a school recoup that cost in revenue from a successful program? Or are there other not so direct benefits for a school that they could realize with a top tier hockey program?
                  FYI Nate Leaman is not making $1 million per season base pay, by base pay what he is getting paid before perks kick in.

Comment

• Now on a different note Colorado College has made announcement that they have filled their Head Coaching job with a News Conference on Monday to bring in Kris Mayotte a assistant at Michigan the last 2 years and previous was at Providence under Nate Leaman for 5 years and with St.Lawrence for 2 years when Greg Carvel now with UMass was their Head Coach. With that all said CC didn't make big waves during the Frozen 4, they went on thou with Business at hand and MOVING FORWARD with the program...while Maine...can you hear the crickets??? Is there a PLAN...the days of Silence is Golden are over{IMO}...time for Ralph to makes his moves, either keep Gendron for another roller coaster year or move on and get this Mess of a Program going in a positive direction. Lame Duck status, wait wait wait...next year, next year....time to be a AD with a plan, get this ball rolling as everyone is passing them by each day they do nothing....sad hole we are in.
                    Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 04-08-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Im actually ok with getting someone who can turn it around and leave if they must for more cash. Once turned around cash flows change and all sorts of options are in play.
                      Michigan Tech is an excellent example of what happens when a successfully coach turns around a program and then leaves. After John MacInnes stepped down MTU had only three winning seasons (one the first season after) in thirty years before they hired Mel Pearson. In six short seasons he turned that program around and it was looking very good when he then left for Michigan. In the four seasons since Joe Shawnan has had three winning seasons, but the program has had to tighten its belt (total expenses have decreased for two of the three seasons I have financials for and were flat of the other) and overall attendance dropped from the last three seasons under Pearson. So far Tech is doing much better than the thirty years before Pearson, but they have fallen back some from the last three seasons under Pearson and I think they could go either way.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• UMass advances to finals with a 3-2 OT win vs. Minnesota Duluth. They will play St. Cloud State.

Comment

• There really aren't any words... What a stunning thing to find out.
                          University of Maine Men’s Ice Hockey Coach Dennis “Red” Gendron died today.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                            There really aren't any words... What a stunning thing to find out.
                            Just read that on Twitter, absolutely gutted.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• OMG am so terribly sorry....shocking. Sympathies to all Maine fans.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• OMG this is terrible. Absolutely shocked.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X