Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems like the decision was "all this neat stuff" or "one hockey arena." Can't really blame the school for going this direction, and everything looks awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
      It seems like the decision was "all this neat stuff" or "one hockey arena." Can't really blame the school for going this direction, and everything looks awesome.
      Overall, it does look awesome!! Except for parking. The University should have put up a parking garage years ago.

Comment

It seems like the decision was "all this neat stuff" or "one hockey arena." Can't really blame the school for going this direction, and everything looks awesome.
        Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Overall, it does look awesome!! Except for parking. The University should have put up a parking garage years ago.
        Agreed on both of these posts.

Another $50 million and we would have had a new hockey arena.....but they did the most prudent and sensible plan. I really hope that they follow through with these plans because it all looks stunning.

The parking is an issue....especially in the winter when no one wants to park a mile away and freeze their arses off. I do think that there is an opportunity to add a parking garage in the remaining lot South of the planned basketball facility.

Comment

Yup. The three womens fields, basketball complex, locker rooms, fitness areas are all sorely needed. More so than the old girl.
          Its a great overall plan for the school. Seems like alot for 110 mil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I hope they never change the seating. I would rather people be jam packed and have the electric atmosphere versus seats being spread out and not having the atmosphere.
            I like the crowded feel too but those bench seats. They aren't wide enough unless your 10, the guys knees behind you are in your back, my knees are in the persons armpits in front of me. I cant even get my legs in those lower section seats. The donor seats are good but pricey for the product on the ice.

Sound system is another area they never fixed. If your in a box you cant hear it. Otherwise its not too bad but could use help for sure. As long as they dont want it like a rock concert in there so you cant even talk to the person next to you.

Comment

Would you really want Maine to be playing in a place like the Cross Center or Verizon in Manchester? I think that would be awful after all of the wonderful years in the Alfond. I've visited all the rinks in Hockey East along with some ECAC rinks and the oldest ones are by far the best.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                How about a new coach?
                Might be a more cost-efficient approach.

Comment

Football is scheduled to play a six game season starting March 6.
                  I have no idea about who has opted out, or who Maine has scheduled, but I'm all-in. I'd hate to see the momentum disappear.

Football has been a major factor at Maine for years now. Far more nationally prominent than Red's bad hockey.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-17-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• It all looks great. Comprehensive. Exciting.

Only thing about renovating and adding to Alfond is like..... the original Shawn Walsh center addition is only 15 years old. For 10
                    Of those years we’ve heard nothing but moaning about how the facilities and the budget stink and can’t produce a winner. So whys this one gonna be different?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      It all looks great. Comprehensive. Exciting.

Only thing about renovating and adding to Alfond is like..... the original Shawn Walsh center addition is only 15 years old. For 10
                      Of those years we’ve heard nothing but moaning about how the facilities and the budget stink and can’t produce a winner. So whys this one gonna be different?
                      Nice facilities don't hurt, but decent recruiting/coaching is easily more important. Whole bunches of programs have had a Hell of a lot more hockey success than has have had Red's Maine while using even more humble digs.

Red couldn't recruit if he offered the boys home games in the TD and a pre-game visit from Stormy. He's a complete failure and should be ashamed to draw a paycheck from Maine taxpayers.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-17-2021, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        It all looks great. Comprehensive. Exciting.

Its not going to be different with the existing staff and budget.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• As far as the coaching staff goes, my hope is that when the next search commences (after this year???), they start to open up the checkbook to pay whoever the man is a salary that reflects the new facility he'll eventually coach in. I am admittedly a little skeptical, but the money they are shelling out on all these new facilities and upgrades at least offers some modicum of hope that they will spend more on the next guy, whenever he comes.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            As far as the coaching staff goes, my hope is that when the next search commences (after this year???), they start to open up the checkbook to pay whoever the man is a salary that reflects the new facility he'll eventually coach in. I am admittedly a little skeptical, but the money they are shelling out on all these new facilities and upgrades at least offers some modicum of hope that they will spend more on the next guy, whenever he comes.
                            That would be nice, but I wonder if it causes title ix issues? There’s no doubt they should be spending $300k to $500k a year more on the coaching staff.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Nice facilities don't hurt, but decent recruiting/coaching is easily more important. Whole bunches of programs have had a Hell of a lot more hockey success than has have had Red's Maine while using even more humble digs.

Red couldn't recruit if he offered the boys home games in the TD and a pre-game visit from Stormy. He's a complete failure and should be ashamed to draw a paycheck from Maine taxpayers.
                              I liked Amy Vachon's quote that (paraphrasing) most kids aren't going to pick a school because of facilities, but they will absolutely cross a school off because of facilities.

Being able to say "look at this nice place you'll get to spend four years practicing and playing" will at least open the door to a conversation, at which point the coach has to be able to close the deal.

Comment

• I’d gladly give up a first class scoreboard for a first class coach....
                                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                                Just win.....

Comment

Working...
                                X