Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Maine men's basketball team has thrown in the towel, I wonder if hockey will follow suit. Hopefully next season is back to normal.
    Saw that on the crawl yesterday... When it cited the 2-7 record, I wasn't sure if they were referring to hoops or hockey.

Maine probably should shut down both programs, and cut its losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

The way I see it, this is possible, but on the more optimistic side of possible. We might be looking at the start of the 22-23 season before things resemble what the used to.
      You’re probably right. It wouldn’t shock me if next fall and winter we don’t have much virus around but you still don’t see indoor sporting events, concerts, offices, etc. We probably will have a transition period.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I thought they already cancelled that. I don’t pay super close attention so could be wrong though.
        Football is scheduled to play a six game season starting March 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Football is scheduled to play a six game season starting March 6.
          Yeah, now that you mention it I was thinking of Maine high school football. I can’t see where it makes a lot of sense for Maine football to play games this spring either.

Comment

• UMaine announces $110M in renovations and new construction for athletic facilities across campus. Alfond Arena slated to receive "substantial upgrades", including an enlarged entryway and concourse, a new video scoreboard and accompanying ribbon boards, new sound system, improved WiFi, and additions to the Walsh Hockey Center, including new locker rooms for men's and women's hockey, new strength center, new video room, and more.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2021/2...ties-plan.aspx

Comment

UMaine announces $110M in renovations and new construction for athletic facilities across campus. Alfond Arena slated to receive "substantial upgrades", including an enlarged entryway and concourse, a new video scoreboard and accompanying ribbon boards, new sound system, improved WiFi, and additions to the Walsh Hockey Center, including new locker rooms for men's and women's hockey, new strength center, new video room, and more.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2021/2...ties-plan.aspx
              Was just going to post about this. I think for the Alford it is perfect although it sounds like they are getting rid of bear necessities. I don’t really understand the new soccer field where they only have one team but maybe it is going to be more for high schools?

Is basketball going to be leaving Cross Center?

Comment

• I just watched the whole video. It’s a great plan and makes a ton of sense. Hopefully they can easily raise the money.

edit: I do wonder what their plan is for parking.

Has there ever been a bigger waste of money than the Cross Center?

Comment

• Men's and women's basketball returns to campus with new multi-purpose arena to be built next to Alfond Arena. New Dome with 300 meter track and football field. Doesn't appear to be much planning for parking in this plan.

Comment

UMaine announces $110M in renovations and new construction for athletic facilities across campus. Alfond Arena slated to receive "substantial upgrades", including an enlarged entryway and concourse, a new video scoreboard and accompanying ribbon boards, new sound system, improved WiFi, and additions to the Walsh Hockey Center, including new locker rooms for men's and women's hockey, new strength center, new video room, and more.
                    How about a new coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      How about a new coach?
                      Ha, minor detail I guess.

Good too see BBall improvements, womens basketball is now the top team on campus.

Dont understand why the spending so much on football.

Good player improvements for hockey but not a fan experience improvement.
                      They sell a ton of stuff at bear necessities during hockey games but it will be good to get that out of alfond so they can regulate the temp better in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Ha, minor detail I guess.

Good too see BBall improvements, womens basketball is now the top team on campus.

Dont understand why the spending so much on football.

Good player improvements for hockey but not a fan experience improvement.
                        They sell a ton of stuff at bear necessities during hockey games but it will be good to get that out of alfond so they can regulate the temp better in there.
                        I'd say there are definite fan experience improvements at Alfond, primarily the new sound system and scoreboard. Being able to see replays and not listen thru blown out speakers will be nice.

Comment

• The final map of the project.

Comment

I'd say there are definite fan experience improvements at Alfond, primarily the new sound system and scoreboard. Being able to see replays and not listen thru blown out speakers will be nice.
                            Better seats and getting rid of obstructions would higher on my list.
                            The big video screens tend to distract me too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Better seats and getting rid of obstructions would higher on my list.
                              The big video screens tend to distract me too much.
                              I would also add the very narrow concourse where you have to turn sideways to get by people and the very tiny seats in the lower section with no legroom. How many sound system improvements have there been over the years? Every one of them has not worked. I am not an acoustic engineer, but placing reflective sound panels in the roof peaks would help the sound from being trapped (in my opinion).

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

I would also add the very narrow concourse where you have to turn sideways to get by people and the very tiny seats in the lower section with no legroom. How many sound system improvements have there been over the years? Every one of them has not worked. I am not an acoustic engineer, but placing reflective sound panels in the roof peaks would help the sound from being trapped (in my opinion).
                                My understanding is they are going to expand the concourse which will be nice. Hopefully UMaine dining takes over concessions again.

I hope they never change the seating. I would rather people be jam packed and have the electric atmosphere versus seats being spread out and not having the atmosphere.

Hopefully this brings another period like we had at the turn of the century when all the major sports were competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X