This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Geezer. ;-) Right there with you on the value to the program of those guys. I used to walk over to the games as a kid. Loved Aubuuuuuuut.
    Good God, could that guy skate. Made great decisions, too. Maine has had many outstanding D-men since him, but he was the best of them all, IMO.

Passed away shortly after graduating in a car accident IIRC, which was a crying shame.

Met him once in my dorm (the decrepit Corbett Hall) and he was so humble and friendly. Gave me my first Molson.

No ego, just a genuinely nice guy, and a tremendous talent.

Comment

• At this time Maine is ranked 8th in the Hockey East Power Index and would play at home against the 9th seed in a single eliminaton game. What are the chances the Governor will allow Maine to play at home? Season ends March 7th so Maine has the opportunity to play 6 more games depending on Covid-19.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        At this time Maine is ranked 8th in the Hockey East Power Index and would play at home against the 9th seed in a single eliminaton game. What are the chances the Governor will allow Maine to play at home? Season ends March 7th so Maine has the opportunity to play 6 more games depending on Covid-19.
        If she is going to be consistent she won't
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Good God, could that guy skate. Made great decisions, too. Maine has had many outstanding D-men since him, but he was the best of them all, IMO.

Passed away shortly after graduating in a car accident IIRC, which was a crying shame.

Met him once in my dorm (the decrepit Corbett Hall) and he was so humble and friendly. Gave me my first Molson.

No ego, just a genuinely nice guy, and a tremendous talent.
          Nice to see Andre Aubut mentioned, he was definitely the best skater on the early teams along with his fellow Quebecois Robert Lafleur. Conn, Crespi and of course Tortorella were great to watch as well and kudos to the mention of that tandem of Jim Tortorella and Jeff Nord. One correction Andre lived long enough to get married and had a son. He died as a result of complications of a fall while playing in a pick-up hockey game and not a car accident. Larry actually wrote an article about retiring his #27 back in 2009. https://bangordailynews.com/2009/03/...ld-be-retired/

Have never really numbered my all-time players from 1 to 10, but as top lines but if I did it would have to be:

Forwards:

1. P. Karyia
          2. Montgomery
          3. Pellerin
          4. Roy (Loved Jean-Yves)
          5. S. Kariya
          6. Mike Golden
          7. Nyquist
          8. Mario Thyer
          9. Corey Larose
          10. Cal Ingraham

Others (D. Capuano, Spencer Abbott, Martin Robitaille, Gary Conn, and Guy Perron)

Defense

1. E. Weinrich
          2. Imes
          3. Keith Carney
          4. Aubut
          5. Jeff Tory
          6. Peter Metcalf
          7. Claudio Scremin
          8. David Cullen
          9. Prestin Ryan
          10. Jack Capuano

Goalies

1. Howard
          2. Swayman
          3. Bishop
          4. Scott King
          5. Dunham/Snow

and Honorable mention to Alfie Michaud. That '99 banner is not hanging without him!

Comment

• He played in a much lower scoring era, but I would throw Dustin Penner in the mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
              He played in a much lower scoring era, but I would throw Dustin Penner in the mix.
              Timmy Lovell wasn't chopped liver, either, and neither was Teddy Purcell...

We were certainly spoiled back in The Day. Red hasn't recruited a single skater who would have possibly cracked that list.

Comment

• [QUOTE=BobF;n3640976]

Nice to see Andre Aubut mentioned, he was definitely the best skater on the early teams along with his fellow Quebecois Robert Lafleur. Conn, Crespi and of course Tortorella were great to watch as well and kudos to the mention of that tandem of Jim Tortorella and Jeff Nord. One correction Andre lived long enough to get married and had a son. He died as a result of complications of a fall while playing in a pick-up hockey game and not a car accident. Larry actually wrote an article about retiring his #27 back in 2009. https://bangordailynews.com/2009/03/...ld-be-retired/ [Quote]

Thanks for the correction, and for the link. First time I've seen that, and it's probably as much sense as Larry has ever made.

Andre and Conn-Man should both have sweaters on the rafters of Alfond, agreed

Comment

• Umaine athletics facility master plan, stay tuned for Wed announcement.

https://twitter.com/BlackBearNation/...067772935?s=09

Comment

• Maine men's basketball team has thrown in the towel, I wonder if hockey will follow suit. Hopefully next season is back to normal.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Do we think the hockey team will follow suit?

Comment

• Yes, followed by all the rest of the sports including football unless vaccines come around quicker than I think

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Yes, followed by all the rest of the sports including football unless vaccines come around quicker than I think
                          Are you talking shutting down spring football practice? You can't possibly be talking about the fall football season...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Are you talking shutting down spring football practice? You can't possibly be talking about the fall football season...
                            CAA is supposed to play this spring I believe

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Hopefully next season is back to normal.
                              The way I see it, this is possible, but on the more optimistic side of possible. We might be looking at the start of the 22-23 season before things resemble what the used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

CAA is supposed to play this spring I believe
                                I thought they already cancelled that. I don’t pay super close attention so could be wrong though.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X