This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I can't watch them any more, its deja vu all over again.
    New to watching this team. Is this the systems they always run??? Least offensive creativity I have ever seen from a team. Also have they even attempted to recruit offensive players in the past?? Breen and Dunn look like they could be studs, but are limited by the systems. Dunn tries to carry the puck, but is forced to dump it in or make a contested pass. Breen Is outnumbered every time he touches the puck. We dump the puck and then send one guy after the puck and have three guys focus on defense. I got a feeling we may see both of these guys leave early if the coaching staff stays the same

Comment

• Completely unrelated and unimportant, but has anyone read the introduction to the 1993 NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament wikipedia page lately? That is some bonkers stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_N...key_Tournament

Comment

• Jon Shields asked Red about a bunch of the seniors being out of the lineup on the pregame show and Red completely blew it off. I wonder what the story is.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Completely unrelated and unimportant, but has anyone read the introduction to the 1993 NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament wikipedia page lately? That is some bonkers stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_N...key_Tournament
          Wow! Is anyone out there a wikipedia member? What a bunch of ridiculous drivel from a site many count on for accurate info. Obviously referring to the crossbar shot, which zero angles ever showed going in. They need to be sent a video and correct that crap. Maine Sports information office needs to set them straight!

Wish we had seen better goaltending out of Ostman today. Would be nice to believe we had a tandem.

Comment

• Well that was tough to watch, all weekend long. I'm just glad that this season basically dosent count, because God help us if it did

Comment

• That vastly improved defensive corps looks great!!! 9 goals on 58 shots JFC

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by djs298 View Post

New to watching this team. Is this the systems they always run??? Least offensive creativity I have ever seen from a team. Also have they even attempted to recruit offensive players in the past?? Breen and Dunn look like they could be studs, but are limited by the systems. Dunn tries to carry the puck, but is forced to dump it in or make a contested pass. Breen Is outnumbered every time he touches the puck. We dump the puck and then send one guy after the puck and have three guys focus on defense. I got a feeling we may see both of these guys leave early if the coaching staff stays the same
                Good observation.
                Ive been complaining about reds system for years and have given up talking about it.
                Its lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post

Wow! Is anyone out there a wikipedia member? What a bunch of ridiculous drivel from a site many count on for accurate info. Obviously referring to the crossbar shot, which zero angles ever showed going in. They need to be sent a video and correct that crap. Maine Sports information office needs to set them straight!

Wish we had seen better goaltending out of Ostman today. Would be nice to believe we had a tandem.
                  I'm not even going to look at that Wiki page. There was never any doubt that that shot went straight off the crossbar. Rudy must be litigating that one.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-07-2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• The 9-5 game was an embarrassment! Most goals allowed since 1986!!!! I post very rarely these days but still care deeply about the program. If the powers that be care as deeply they will be making some phone calls. But it will require spending money. Greg Moore is the coach of the AHL's Toronto Marlies, a long shot, but pick up the phone and have a conversation. He received a nice shout out during the USA game vs. Finland last night. Kris Mayotte who is an Assistant at Michigan and on the staff of USA hockey, call him. Served under Leaman at PC and was lead recruiter. There is actually some talent on this team, freshmen class is especially encouraging. But that game displayed a total breakdown of whatever systems are in place with a bunch of players standing around and watching. It's time!

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post
                      The 9-5 game was an embarrassment! Most goals allowed since 1986!!!! I post very rarely these days but still care deeply about the program. If the powers that be care as deeply they will be making some phone calls. But it will require spending money. Greg Moore is the coach of the AHL's Toronto Marlies, a long shot, but pick up the phone and have a conversation. He received a nice shout out during the USA game vs. Finland last night. Kris Mayotte who is an Assistant at Michigan and on the staff of USA hockey, call him. Served under Leaman at PC and was lead recruiter. There is actually some talent on this team, freshmen class is especially encouraging. But that game displayed a total breakdown of whatever systems are in place with a bunch of players standing around and watching. It's time!
                      Gendron was quoted in BDN article that players were barking at one another for mistakes being made on the ice. I think that speaks volumes about Gendron being an effective coach.

Comment

• Is losing 9-5 the "Dolly Parton"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

Gendron was quoted in BDN article that players were barking at one another for mistakes being made on the ice. I think that speaks volumes about Gendron being an effective coach.

Reds quote.

Everybody shared in this,” UMaine head coach Red Gendron said. “At the end of the day, we needed to play better team defense. We needed better goaltending and we needed to pay better attention to detail in our systems.”

Gendron said his team needs to learn to handle adversity better, saying the players were barking at each other during the first two periods for mistakes that were being made."

How about better coaching.
                          System?? Really??

Comment

• Didnt watch or hear sunday game, but stats look like Tralmaks came to play. Thats good. Except two penalties.

Comment

• I watched both Lowell games and honestly it was the strangest series I can remember. I definitely wouldn't have expected Maine to score or concede as many as they did. They had a horrible start last year as well and turned it around which gives me hope this year. At this point though if Maine could attract someone like Greg Moore it probably is the way to go.

I've spent some time this year going back and honestly if you look at the bigger picture since Shawn passed it's pretty sobering. Maine's recruiting really went off a cliff from 2005 on. And to be brutally honest if you look at the period right after he died there were a number of things that went Maine's way that just wouldn't happen now. You had three really good players from Maine(Damon, Moore, and Duffy) and half a dozen who sat out a year(Doyle, Ryan, Shields, Penner, Leveille, Damon). You take those guys out of the mix and that period looks completely different.

Maine has had some good classes since 2005 but they are mixed in with a lot of poor ones. And beyond that when you look at the players individually there are a lot of guys who are on the top couple of lines who are just okay to good. This is something that has held back both Timmy and Red. If you look at last year's team and could somehow swap Drobot and Schmidt for Vesey and Byron Maine would be an absolute lock for NCAA's and probably in the mix for frozen four.

I'll certainly support whoever Maine has for coach but I don't anticipate things drastically improving quickly. Whoever is the coach is going to have to find talent in unusual places which isn't easy in today's world.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I watched both Lowell games and honestly it was the strangest series I can remember. I definitely wouldn't have expected Maine to score or concede as many as they did. They had a horrible start last year as well and turned it around which gives me hope this year. At this point though if Maine could attract someone like Greg Moore it probably is the way to go.

I've spent some time this year going back and honestly if you look at the bigger picture since Shawn passed it's pretty sobering. Maine's recruiting really went off a cliff from 2005 on. And to be brutally honest if you look at the period right after he died there were a number of things that went Maine's way that just wouldn't happen now. You had three really good players from Maine(Damon, Moore, and Duffy) and half a dozen who sat out a year(Doyle, Ryan, Shields, Penner, Leveille, Damon). You take those guys out of the mix and that period looks completely different.

Maine has had some good classes since 2005 but they are mixed in with a lot of poor ones. And beyond that when you look at the players individually there are a lot of guys who are on the top couple of lines who are just okay to good. This is something that has held back both Timmy and Red. If you look at last year's team and could somehow swap Drobot and Schmidt for Vesey and Byron Maine would be an absolute lock for NCAA's and probably in the mix for frozen four.

I'll certainly support whoever Maine has for coach but I don't anticipate things drastically improving quickly. Whoever is the coach is going to have to find talent in unusual places which isn't easy in today's world.
                                It's going to be tough, no doubt. But Ive said before that I don't accept Maine's remoteness as an excuse as to why they can't do well in hockey. Plenty of other schools have become national title contenders in a rural, remote location. It won't be like the Walsh era, but its very hard if not impossible to do that for any school in today's landscape, not just Maine. It mostly comes down to the head coach hire. A great coach who can build a team with an obvious vision and create excitement for the future can put any program on the map in a short period.

Comment

Working...
                                X