X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Alabama Huntsville has dropped their Div.1 Hockey program.
    ***UPDATE*** Alabama Huntsville has RAISED enough money this week to play in 2020-21 season. Good for them.

Comment

Whoop-de-do. So they'll be around for next season. If next season is around for them. Then what? There's been no commitment from the school or the supporters without someone putting a gun to their head. Twice already (at least) that gun has gone "click". Eventually it's going to go "bang!"
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
        Whoop-de-do. So they'll be around for next season. If next season is around for them. Then what? There's been no commitment from the school or the supporters without someone putting a gun to their head. Twice already (at least) that gun has gone "click". Eventually it's going to go "bang!"
        Well "what-ever"...just thinking a positive that there are some who may continue to keep there program afloat...but then the gun most likely will go bang some day....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          These games have gotten way toooo loooong. No more ot in my opinion. I have no problems with ties what so ever. Play three periods end the game, or one 5 min ot is fine.
          The average game length this past season was 2:22, while the median was 2:20. In converting my old games from tape to M2TS format I have noticed that 30 years ago televised games regularly ran over 2 1/2 hours, many to 3 hours (in part to more media timeouts per period), without any overtime. I can't say for non-televised games before 2000, as old game summaries didn't include game length on them, but going back to the 2000-01 season a quick look shows game lengths in the same range as now.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            The average game length this past season was 2:22, while the median was 2:20. In converting my old games from tape to M2TS format I have noticed that 30 years ago televised games regularly ran over 2 1/2 hours, many to 3 hours (in part to more media timeouts per period), without any overtime. I can't say for non-televised games before 2000, as old game summaries didn't include game length on them, but going back to the 2000-01 season a quick look shows game lengths in the same range as now.

Sean
            The ECAC games after switching to ESPN+ have certainly become longer. It was such a pleasure to not have media timeouts.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
              Interesting, stats dont lie.
              Maybe my level of patience is decreasing.
              In any event 2.5 hrs is too long for a college hockey game in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                Interesting, stats dont lie.
                Maybe my level of patience is decreasing.
                In any event 2.5 hrs is too long for a college hockey game in my opinion.
                I tend to agree. I've always wondered why 2 intermissions were the rule in the first place.

Say there's two 30 minute periods instead. Sure, teams would have to roll four lines all game long, but I'm fine with that.

It's not just us old guys who are losing patience; our society as a whole is moving in that direction.

Comment

The ice is bad enough after 20 minutes, I'd hate to think what it would be like for skaters after 30 minutes.

Real quick Google searches indicate pro and college football and baseball games take over 3 hours. Pro and college basketball take 2 1/2 and 2:10 more or less. NHL and college hockey about 2 1/2. Interestingly, the game with the most time on the clock - soccer - is the shortest duration with MLS games taking about 2 hours. In my opinion, if 2 1/2 - 3 hours is too long for you, stay home, record it, and play it back jumping through the timeouts. Or just go outside and tell the kids to stay of your lawn.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    I tend to agree. I've always wondered why 2 intermissions were the rule in the first place.

Say there's two 30 minute periods instead. Sure, teams would have to roll four lines all game long, but I'm fine with that.

It's not just us old guys who are losing patience; our society as a whole is moving in that direction.
                    I'm fine with a long game when Maine is playing UNH, BU, or BC on tv and the Alfond is packed. What kills me is when they're playing Alaksa-Anchorage or UVM in a half full Alfond and they have three or four tv timeouts per period for a game isn't even on tv. Common sense has to factor in somehow.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      I'm fine with a long game when Maine is playing UNH, BU, or BC on tv and the Alfond is packed. What kills me is when they're playing Alaksa-Anchorage or UVM in a half full Alfond and they have three or four tv timeouts per period for a game isn't even on tv. Common sense has to factor in somehow.
                      If the game isnt even being broadcast, there shouldn't be TV timeouts. Seems like the obvious solution to me.

Comment

The issue is that the game is always going to be broadcast nowadays and there isn’t a lot of difference between a traditional TV broadcast and streaming. They’re both going to sell commercial time. The U and BBSP aren’t going to give that up. It’ll be interesting to know how the coaches and players think of those breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                          The issue is that the game is always going to be broadcast nowadays and there isn’t a lot of difference between a traditional TV broadcast and streaming. They’re both going to sell commercial time. The U and BBSP aren’t going to give that up. It’ll be interesting to know how the coaches and players think of those breaks.
                          How much revenue do you bring in from an ad for an online game when you only have maybe a few hundred people watching? I can't imagine it moves the needle very much. They likely lose more game day revenue from fans not going. That really is where the focus should be. For far too long the athletic department has made penny wise pound foolish decisions and obviously that hasn't worked out very well.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            How much revenue do you bring in from an ad for an online game when you only have maybe a few hundred people watching? I can't imagine it moves the needle very much. They likely lose more game day revenue from fans not going. That really is where the focus should be. For far too long the athletic department has made penny wise pound foolish decisions and obviously that hasn't worked out very well.
                            Every Hockey East stream I’ve seen has commercials. With the league wide deal with CBS All-Access, I can’t imagine that it’s a institutional decision.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              In my opinion, if 2 1/2 - 3 hours is too long for you, stay home, record it, and play it back jumping through the timeouts. Or just go outside and tell the kids to stay of your lawn.
                              Both good options, but not everything I want to watch is broadcast in the first case, and there are pretty-much zero kids to yell at by 7PM on a winter night, sadly.

Comment

• Thoughts on the new forum layout? It definitely looks nicer, but I don't think I like it. I really don't like how it dosent put the newest posts at the top, but rather the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X