X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorthMike
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If UMaine decides that Barr is their man, the "negotiations" should be relatively simple. First, you pay him whatever you have budgeted for the HC salary - slightly more if they can take it out of the assistants' line item if necessary - and then it's just a matter of term (length of contract), and my guess is that should be at least five years. He has to be allowed to choose his own staff (if he's willing to hire Michaud, good for him; hiring a guy who competed for the job - Guite - rarely works). Set him up with the key alums to allow Barr and his family to get settled. Lastly, give him your best shot with a recruiting budget, as this will assure Barr that UMaine will support his efforts. If they try to cut corners on him, he won't take UMaine seriously.

UMaine will need to sell themselves more to Barr, than Barr will need to sell himself to UMaine.

Maybe if this was 2001, or even 2013, e when UMaine was in a position of relative strength, it would be different. Right now, the candidates (especially Barr) are in the stronger
    Ideally yes but the Univ has this bizarre hold on the past that worries me in this process. This is a true test to see if they can break that or willing to.
    I agree its on the Univ to sell it's wares to Barr or whoever the prime candidate is. They need to roll out the red carpet and literally court the candidate. I suspect Ralph knows this.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    You dont suppose the Univ as part of a negotiation would require that Ben and Alfie be retained? To keep the peace and codify the glory days base. That would most certainly likely be a deal breaker.
    If UMaine decides that Barr is their man, the "negotiations" should be relatively simple. First, you pay him whatever you have budgeted for the HC salary - slightly more if they can take it out of the assistants' line item if necessary - and then it's just a matter of term (length of contract), and my guess is that should be at least five years. He has to be allowed to choose his own staff (if he's willing to hire Michaud, good for him; hiring a guy who competed for the job - Guite - rarely works). Set him up with the key alums to allow Barr and his family to get settled. Lastly, give him your best shot with a recruiting budget, as this will assure Barr that UMaine will support his efforts. If they try to cut corners on him, he won't take UMaine seriously.

UMaine will need to sell themselves more to Barr, than Barr will need to sell himself to UMaine.

Maybe if this was 2001, or even 2013, when UMaine was in a position of relative strength, it would be different. Right now, the candidates (especially Barr) are in the stronger position.
    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 05-08-2021, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

You dont suppose the Univ as part of a negotiation would require that Ben and Alfie be retained? To keep the peace and codify the glory days base. That would most certainly likely be a deal breaker.
    That would be ignorant on the U's part. Coach has to bring in his own people and if not a deal breaker for sure

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    It sounds like he’s been passed over more than once and you would have to think there is a reason for that..
    Barr has indeed been regularly mentioned for openings for about four years, and a finalist in at least one or two situations, only to have it not work out. My guess is that he's had bad luck with matching the timing and context of certain opportunities with his resume at the time, and that's mostly out of his control. For example, I think some recent searches he's been mentioned for prioritized previous head coaching or NHL assistant experience, and he does not have either.

Fans shouldn't be too thrown off by that. Barr is an appealing candidate on many levels, enjoys a good reputation, and his recruiting record is just too strong to be ignored. I just don't know how he stacks up to Maine's own hiring checklist.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Maine should be thrilled if Barr ends up the guy. Doesn't guarantee him success but it would be the right kind of hire.

Leave a comment:

• Wayuphere
    replied
    If Barr, or any “outsider”, he needs to be able to assemble his own staff for the simple reason that if a failure, it was 100% his doing and he’s to blame. If a success, credit is 100% his to take. If he elects to keep some of current staff, then he lives with the results good or bad, no excuses as it was his choice. Hire him no strings attached and see how talented he is in rebuilding. I personally think that the selected should just be handed the keys to drive the machine and go wherever they want and with whom ever they want to take along for the ride.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied

I could possibly see them wanting Michaud retained, but you'd have to think that keeping Guite is out of the question given the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

I’m not worried, in the least, about Barr getting the nod. I am very worried about him turning it down.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Do you think he will? What would you estimate the odds are?
    I have no idea, but I remain confident that Barr will be the next coach.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

I’m not worried, in the least, about Barr getting the nod. I am very worried about him turning it down.
    Do you think he will? What would you estimate the odds are?

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Seriously..?

I've been reading your posts for something like 20 years now, and you haven't exactly been Mr. Sweetness and Sunshine all the time.

It's perfectly fine to call a troll a troll, FCS.
    In case you hadn't noticed this place has changed, the amount of traffic is about 10% of what it was. The trolling on the D1 page is pretty much gone as far as I can see. I enjoyed the old days and I've done my share of trolling on here but not so much anymore. Maybe its because Maine hockey is a shadow of its former self or maybe its because most of the posters have been on here for 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied
    Off topic, but Joe Harasymiak was the runner up for the UBuffalo football job: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...new-head-coach

He's also been promoted to Minnesota's co-defensive coordinator. Leaving Maine to be a Big Ten assistant seems like it was absolutely the right move for him, career wise.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Hmmm -
    "Ralph recently said Guite is doing an exemplary job as the interim head coach and presented him an impressive comprehensive plan for elevating the UMaine program's stature if he lands the job."
    Guite had been an assistant (and lead recruiter?) for 8 years at UMaine under Red. "Comprehensive plans" are nice, but past results are a much better benchmark for future performance. You guys have those 8 years of Guite to come to your own conclusions about him.

To me, it sounds like a note of appreciation for Guite's recent efforts and his candidacy. It also preserves their ability to work together in the future (avoiding hard feelings that may come) if Plan A (Barr) doesn't accept an offer, and it emerges at a later date that Barr was the first choice, and rejected UMaine's terms. Ralph can always tell Guite he was the first choice all along, and Barr (who would still want a future HC job elsewhere) would probably keep it all to himself.

The Pellerin thing still doesn't make sense to me. I don't think he's ever coached before. Maybe he expressed interest, and someone caught wind of it, and decided it was worth a mention here?

I'm not here to question sourcing, and you guys will know better the credibility of the source/poster in Post #1419 than I do, but if I were to guess - and admittedly, it's a guess - if there are three finalists, I think Ellsworth is more likely than Pellerin.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

It sounds like he’s been passed over more than once and you would have to think there is a reason for that. At this point I’m not sure I even have a strong favorite. I think there are positives and negatives with all of them and whoever gets it I will support.

In Larry’s BDN article he confirmed Capuano isn’t in the mix because of timing.
    Resume is better now. More experience now. Valuable interview experience. Frankly, Barr is just in a much better position now. As far as UVM goes, they screwed up. They got enamored with the NHL creds. It happens. Heck, read back through this thread.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I'm still confident in Barr getting the nod, but this statement concerns me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X