Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we can cheer for Tennessee State as they create, build, and pass Maine by into the NCAA sweet 16. We’ve seen this show before as new programs arrive. Meanwhile, we struggle to maintain mediocrity.
    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
    Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Oh this is how it will be, Ralph will announce that Guite will indeed be the Interim Head Coach for the upcoming season and his progress will be evaluated at the end of the season in which Ralph will hand Guite a 2 year extension even though the team crashed and burn the season at 8-24-2, Ralph citing that it would so unfair to judge Guite on just one season and what transpired before the season and of course the ever present covid hangover had major effects to the program and team overall....and with that 2 weeks after handing Guite a 2 year extension Ralph will announce much to his dismay that he is leaving Maine and heading to "fill in the blank school"...he will cite how awful he feels but at the same time he will express how he feels the program and Guite look solid/bright and wishing Maine nothing but the best as he bolts down I-95 South, leaving the incoming New AD with a ready made headache...a program still in trouble, a Head Coach he most likely would NOT have extended...so cheer up all the Maine Mess is here to stay.
      Oh boy thats pretty bleak.
      I gotta believe Ralph might hang around a while. He is a seasoned AD, this wasnt an intro stepping stone job for him to move on from like some we have had.
      I also gotta believe he knew what he was getting into, not being a rookie at the job. He must have seen a challenge in the job he wanted to tackle.
      It would be interesting to know what the statistical distribution looks like for D1 school AD tenures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
        Well, we can cheer for Tennessee State as they create, build, and pass Maine by into the NCAA sweet 16. We've seen this show before as new programs arrive. Meanwhile, we struggle to maintain mediocrity.
        Ironically, I seem to recall UMaine Orono "creating, building and passing" a lot of existing programs themselves when you guys were the newbies just about 45 years ago.

For better, worse or indifferent, it's the way of the world. If you're standing still, you're falling behind.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Apparently they at least called Montgomery this time, and he said he wasn't interested. They're happy in STL. At least they bothered to call him, maybe Guite getting the job on a platter isn't a foregone conclusion after all...

Comment

• https://bangordailynews.com/2021/04/...5gxWdVojYP-rJ4 May 8th is the deadline, sounds like Guite to me
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Very interesting committee, Monty and Garth being involved is encouraging, and that they still have interest in maine hockey. Bruce Majors is interesting.
              I also like how they have actively pursued candidates.
              But they will still go with guite.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 04-27-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                https://bangordailynews.com/2021/04/...5gxWdVojYP-rJ4 May 8th is the deadline, sounds like Guite to me
                Agree.

Comment

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/04/...5gxWdVojYP-rJ4 May 8th is the deadline, sounds like Guite to me
                  Interestingly, Mahoney claims Red was preparing for his 9th year in charge when he passed.

At least they asked Monty this time. Didn't realize Mrs. Monty was a St. Louis gal. C'est la vie.

Article in sum: We set up a panel, we're looking at a lot of options, can't pay much, congrats Ben!!

Comment

I think it would be very odd for them to hire someone without them coming to campus, so that works in Ben’s favor. Not really a surprise Montgomery and Moore weren’t interested.

Maybe it didn’t come out as he intended but it’s a little odd the AD doesn’t talk about getting the program the resources they need. It seems like very much a defeatist attitude. I don’t really understand how Maine can recruit all over the world on a limited recruiting budget either. Just very bizarre.

If Ben gets the job I will be very happy.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Well looks like this Horse race has a winner already with Guite in the winners circle....but hold on, after reading the article I don't think that Guite is a Shoe-in....nope...I have a long shot for all of you: Cam Ellsworth, former UMass-Lowell River Hawk assistant under Norm Bazin and now Head Coach at Norwich...Ellsworth recruited and was the goaltending coach @ UML...he went over to Norwich to gain Head Coaching experience to some day gain a Div.1 Head Coaching job...now lets turn this into a Poker Game and I am pushing all my chips in and betting that on May 8th Cam Ellsworth will be the New UMaine Hockey Coach.

Comment

• https://929theticket.com/ken-ralph-d...xt-head-coach/

If you havent heard it and have 20 minutes this is a good interview with KRalph about the coach search. It left me much more encouraged that they are conducting a true and aggressive coach search. It seems Ken might bring good things to hockey eventually, not over night though, his hockey roots can certainly help.

Comment

Well looks like this Horse race has a winner already with Guite in the winners circle....but hold on, after reading the article I don't think that Guite is a Shoe-in....nope...I have a long shot for all of you: Cam Ellsworth, former UMass-Lowell River Hawk assistant under Norm Bazin and now Head Coach at Norwich...Ellsworth recruited and was the goaltending coach @ UML...he went over to Norwich to gain Head Coaching experience to some day gain a Div.1 Head Coaching job...now lets turn this into a Poker Game and I am pushing all my chips in and betting that on May 8th Cam Ellsworth will be the New UMaine Hockey Coach.
                          VERY interesting take. Ellsworth seems to tick an awful lot of boxes, and his family's adjustment to Downeast Maine probably wouldn't be such a huge issue, given his recent time spent at Norwich. Plus, I'm assuming it would be a pay raise for him if he were hired, which might not be the case for a lot of the other potential would-be candidates.

FWIW his name also sounds very Maine-ish to an outsider like me. So I'm gonna hedge my bets with half my chips on Guite, and the other half on Ellsworth.

Cam Ellsworth - Norwich (norwichathletics.com)

Comment

Well looks like this Horse race has a winner already with Guite in the winners circle....but hold on, after reading the article I don't think that Guite is a Shoe-in....nope...I have a long shot for all of you: Cam Ellsworth, former UMass-Lowell River Hawk assistant under Norm Bazin and now Head Coach at Norwich...Ellsworth recruited and was the goaltending coach @ UML...he went over to Norwich to gain Head Coaching experience to some day gain a Div.1 Head Coaching job...now lets turn this into a Poker Game and I am pushing all my chips in and betting that on May 8th Cam Ellsworth will be the New UMaine Hockey Coach.
                            Ellsworth is a proven recruiter and head coach. I wonder if he is on Ralph's list? The Maine position would definitely be a step up for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              https://929theticket.com/ken-ralph-d...xt-head-coach/

If you havent heard it and have 20 minutes this is a good interview with KRalph about the coach search. It left me much more encouraged that they are conducting a true and aggressive coach search. It seems Ken might bring good things to hockey eventually, not over night though, his hockey roots can certainly help.
                              My first takeaway is when he insults last year's team it absolutely drives me crazy. He is the last person on earth who should be criticizing them after his failure for the team to hold games at the Alfond.

It was good to hear him be a little critical over the decision to get rid of FOMH. I don't understand all the compliance details but it sounds like that was a convenient excuse more than anything else.

I looked up Ellsworth and don't think he would be a great fit based on his record. UML declined quite a bit during his time there and even though he has had success at Norwich that was business as usual for them. Do we really want another coach with ties to UML? On top of that it seems like he is a defense first coach which isn't super exciting and honestly UML has played a lot of boring hockey under Bazin. I don't see that filling up the Alfond again.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I looked up Ellsworth and don't think he would be a great fit based on his record. UML declined quite a bit during his time there and even though he has had success at Norwich that was business as usual for them. Do we really want another coach with ties to UML? On top of that it seems like he is a defense first coach which isn't super exciting and honestly UML has played a lot of boring hockey under Bazin. I don't see that filling up the Alfond again.
                                Um, what?

"Ellsworth was one of the driving forces behind UMass Lowell's rapid ascension to the top of the Division I hockey world, including winning three Hockey East Tournament titles. UMass Lowell made five NCAA Tournament appearances in Ellsworth's seven seasons, highlighted by a third-place finish in 2012-13.

UMass Lowell won 21 or more games in six of seven seasons, including a 19-win difference (five to 24) in Ellsworth's first season in 2011-12 with Norm Bazin.

The 2012-13 season was the best season in UMass Lowell's 34-year history at the Division I level. The River Hawks went 28-11-2, swept the Hockey East regular season and tournament titles, as well as made the only Division I Frozen Four appearance in program history." *From his bio on the Norwich site.

His last year there they weren't great. His second to last year, they won 27 games, a HE title, and lost the regional final in OT. I have seen Ellsworth's teams play quite a bit, and he is definitely a defense-first coach; a really, really good one. An 11 game shutout streak (13 SOs in 14 games too) over the end of 19-20 and the start of 20-21(3 different goalies). Maybe not exciting hockey per your definition, but you know what will fill the Alfond more than anything? Winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X