Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t think the total number is very meaningful. For example I’m sure every school values schollies differently but every school has a limit of 18. I would bet they allocate administrative expense to each team differently too as well. What counts is coaching budget, recruiting budget, travel budget, and equipment. All indications are Maine’s budget is severely limited in those areas.
    Without checking rosters, Id go out on a limb and say the MN schools recruit budget is favorable in comparison due to the higher talent pool in MN.

Comment

I don’t think the total number is very meaningful. For example I’m sure every school values schollies differently but every school has a limit of 18. I would bet they allocate administrative expense to each team differently too as well. What counts is coaching budget, recruiting budget, travel budget, and equipment. All indications are Maine’s budget is severely limited in those areas.
      I agree with this. The fuzzy math of "scholarships" isn't very meaningful to me. Do you still have that spreadsheet that broke things down by type of expense?

Comment

Here are the numbers for those categories, plus the athletic aid number and dollar amounts.
        Average for 2010-18 (-16 MSU)
        School Athletic Aid Head Assist Recruiting Travel Equip.
        AA Men Coach Coaches Men Men Men
        Maine 17.88 $627,870 $304,998 $270,224 $97,190 $191,666 $169,636
        Minnesota State 17.84 $327,798 $259,341 $230,549 $67,216 $193,208 $162,715
        Minnesota-Duluth 17.95 $411,533 $388,000 $284,045 $61,944 $247,284 $154,609
        St. Cloud State 16.59 $341,579 $284,146 $257,352 $62,047 $258,523 $190,440

and the numbers for 2018 (2016 for MSU)
        School Athletic Aid Head Assist Recruiting Travel Equip.
        AA Men Coach Coaches Men Men Men
        Maine 18.00 $723,723 $331,216 $282,655 $94,587 $192,476 $229,580
        Minnesota State 17.43 $402,669 $347,372 $265,954 $78,320 $257,736 $169,489
        Minnesota-Duluth 18.93 $479,183 $550,625 $395,237 $76,333 $355,443 $170,119
        St. Cloud State 14.71 $402,172 $367,498 $291,074 $47,120 $282,923 $175,553

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        I agree with this. The fuzzy math of "scholarships" isn't very meaningful to me. Do you still have that spreadsheet that broke things down by type of expense?
        See my sig: NCAA Financials is a link to the spreadsheet

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Somebody might know more about this than I do. Could they have an assistant coach from one of the playoff teams in mind and be waiting for the end of the tournament to announce something?

Comment

• Originally posted by rw1733 View Post
            Somebody might know more about this than I do. Could they have an assistant coach from one of the playoff teams in mind and be waiting for the end of the tournament to announce something?
            ... or maybe a certain NHL assistant coach whose team is no longer a shoe-in for the playoffs?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

See my sig: NCAA Financials is a link to the spreadsheet

Sean
              And here's how I learned I somehow made it so I couldn't see anyone's signatures, and also couldn't get them to turn back on.

Comment

• All things being equal, $$$’s, leaves.....coaching.
                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  And here's how I learned I somehow made it so I couldn't see anyone's signatures, and also couldn't get them to turn back on.
                  I don't know if this is your issue, but the current version of the software turned off the sigs for me when I set my account Conversation Details Options → Display mode → Latest Activity to show the newest posts at the top of the first page. The only way I found to turn them back on was to change back to Display mode → Posts with the newest posts at the bottom of the last page. I hope this helps.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Well, I suppose we're back online, finally. More exquisite demonstrations of technology from this forum.

Comment

• Yes there are interested people to Coach @ MAINE, but the problem is what Maine will and wants to pay....they want to pay 200-225k per year while anyone coming to Maine has 275-300k as a starting pay per year...so what I am saying is Gendron will be back for at least one more season. UNTIL Ralph figures it out, that he has to pay then you and I will be stuck with Gendron. As they say you get what you paid for. And with that said Gendron isn't going any where's as he has no where's to go and no one wants him either. Maine faithful and Program are stuck until money is found to bring the right Coach in.....sad to say the least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        Yes there are interested people to Coach @ MAINE, but the problem is what Maine will and wants to pay....they want to pay 200-225k per year while anyone coming to Maine has 275-300k as a starting pay per year...so what I am saying is Gendron will be back for at least one more season. UNTIL Ralph figures it out, that he has to pay then you and I will be stuck with Gendron. As they say you get what you paid for. And with that said Gendron isn't going any where's as he has no where's to go and no one wants him either. Maine faithful and Program are stuck until money is found to bring the right Coach in.....sad to say the least.
                        As Sean's table points out, the total package for Gendron is worth $331,216.00 for 2018. It's probably more than that for 2021 and includes the use of a personal car, expenses, golf club membership and other personal benefits. While this is much less than what private schools pay their head coaches in Hockey East, I wonder how it compares to what public schools pay? Sean may have this information available, but I can't seem to find it.

Comment

• Thanks to you I've started my bi-annual update to my NCAA Financials spreadsheet. I've already have the reports from 11 schools and I've update my sheet for 5 schools so far. One of the schools was Maine, so I've also updated my NCAA Maine Financials spreadsheet as well. Looking at Maine's numbers from 2010-20 these are a few things I noticed:

Maine's earned revenue has remained flat while expanses have grown by 37% ($6 million) so the school's athletic deficit has likewise grown
                          Maine is opposed to firing coaches with time on their contracts as they have reported severance on only four reports and only 2 were reported against a specific team (softball 2012, men's hockey 2013)
                          Men's hockey spending on memberships and dues exploded in 2019 & 2020, going from just a few hundred dollars to over $60 thousand dollars
                          Men's hockey recruiting expenses have been cut in half from 2016
                          Men's hockey contributions are up, but the increase only covers about half of the ticket revenue decline since 2015
                          The football team's 2018 NCAA playoffs appearance netted $104,250 (I recall this was a talking point at the time)
                          Coach Gendron has the highest total compensation of any coach at Maine and has been so since starting. His total compensation started $50 thousand higher than Coach Whitehead and as of 2020 it was just under $344 thousand
                          Coach Vachon was underpaid as the women's basketball interim head coach and was still making less in 2020 than her predecessor made in 2016
                          Every sport at Maine loses money, with football the leader at almost $3.2 million in 2020

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Thanks to you I've started my bi-annual update to my NCAA Financials spreadsheet. I've already have the reports from 11 schools and I've update my sheet for 5 schools so far. One of the schools was Maine, so I've also updated my NCAA Maine Financials spreadsheet as well. Looking at Maine's numbers from 2010-20 these are a few things I noticed:

Maine's earned revenue has remained flat while expanses have grown by 37% ($6 million) so the school's athletic deficit has likewise grown
                            Maine is opposed to firing coaches with time on their contracts as they have reported severance on only four reports and only 2 were reported against a specific team (softball 2012, men's hockey 2013)
                            Men's hockey spending on memberships and dues exploded in 2019 & 2020, going from just a few hundred dollars to over $60 thousand dollars
                            Men's hockey recruiting expenses have been cut in half from 2016
                            Men's hockey contributions are up, but the increase only covers about half of the ticket revenue decline since 2015
                            The football team's 2018 NCAA playoffs appearance netted $104,250 (I recall this was a talking point at the time)
                            Coach Gendron has the highest total compensation of any coach at Maine and has been so since starting. His total compensation started $50 thousand higher than Coach Whitehead and as of 2020 it was just under $344 thousand
                            Coach Vachon was underpaid as the women's basketball interim head coach and was still making less in 2020 than her predecessor made in 2016
                            Every sport at Maine loses money, with football the leader at almost $3.2 million in 2020

Sean
                            Thanks Sean. Great work! I am curious about hockey membership and dues going up $60K. What is this exactly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              Thanks Sean. Great work! I am curious about hockey membership and dues going up $60K. What is this exactly?
                              The NCAA is a bit vague, but the category description states it is for "Memberships, conference and association dues."

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

As Sean's table points out, the total package for Gendron is worth $331,216.00 for 2018. It's probably more than that for 2021 and includes the use of a personal car, expenses, golf club membership and other personal benefits. While this is much less than what private schools pay their head coaches in Hockey East, I wonder how it compares to what public schools pay? Sean may have this information available, but I can't seem to find it.
                                Saw that $300+ number and wondered what that includes. Benefits? Retirement? Etc??

Comment

Working...
                                X