This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    At this point, I'd be stunned if Red was behind the bench again next season. We're closing in on the end of the season, and are ~4 months from his official contract expiry date, and there's been no announcement of an extension. The signs point to him being gone. And while I agree with Drew in principle, it might be worth moving on even if they dont spend much more than they currently are.
    I think it would be a huge mistake. If you look at Hockey East right now pretty much every team has its act together with the exception of UNH. It would be easy to see Maine go from middle of the pack where they have been the last few years to propping up the table. We all want to see Maine back where it was in the glory days but I’ll take fifth over 11th. College is a lot different than the NHL.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• I agree that they need to spend more money. HC needs to get at least $250K....plus decent money for assistants.

Comment

• Keep in mind this is a rough year for the athletic dept to come up with a big salary for a coach. Not that other years are flush with money. It seems at best they could offer the same salary to start. Hopefully bring in a Moore type but offer future salary growth with the growth of hockey revenue, which could pull in some candidates. It would be a tough gig but doable for the right coach.

Cost of living must be lower in Bangor than lots of other hockey schools. Certainly so than any HE school by alot. Salary comparisons need to consider that.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if KRalph offers the job to Guite or Alfie at this point, at least for a short term to see how they do. It definitely seems Reds time is winding down and I doubt KRalph has no plan in place. He doesnt seem like the type to wing it. All this facility work is going to take a huge amount of the athletic departments attention for a few years, and has been over the past year. With this going on I cant see a major effort to get underway to hire a coach, which mostly is what makes me think they go with Alfie or Guite at this point, maybe for an even lower salary than Reds.

But its been a strange year, almost anything could happen.
        But then again maybe they have just been negotiating with Red for another year extension to hold the fort down untill financial conditions stabilize.
        Last edited by NorthMike; 02-28-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          But then again maybe they have just been negotiating with Red for another year extension to hold the fort down untill financial conditions stabilize.
          My guess is that the AD and Gendron reach a mutual agreement. Ralph doesn't want to "fire" Gendron so he encourages Gendron to resign or more accurately to retire. Avoids embarassing or discrediting him. On the other hand, I would not be shocked if Ralph extended him a year as you point out.
          Last edited by Runsub5; 02-28-2021, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think it would be a huge mistake. If you look at Hockey East right now pretty much every team has its act together with the exception of UNH. It would be easy to see Maine go from middle of the pack where they have been the last few years to propping up the table. We all want to see Maine back where it was in the glory days but I’ll take fifth over 11th. College is a lot different than the NHL.
            Nobody wants to see Maine finish 11th but this mindset is going to lead us further into the cellar. UVM had this same mindset with Sneddon and it almost led them to a winless season in hockey east. Maine isn't the job it once was, but there are hungry young coaches who would jump at the opportunity to lead a once great program back to relevance.

I know his name was tossed around for the UVM job but Eric Lang from AIC would be right at the top of my list. He's proven he can win with limited resources and he's been in the northeast. If Maine doesn't go the legacy/alumni route, he should be another candidate that's interviewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Nobody wants to see Maine finish 11th but this mindset is going to lead us further into the cellar. UVM had this same mindset with Sneddon and it almost led them to a winless season in hockey east. Maine isn't the job it once was, but there are hungry young coaches who would jump at the opportunity to lead a once great program back to relevance.

I know his name was tossed around for the UVM job but Eric Lang from AIC would be right at the top of my list. He's proven he can win with limited resources and he's been in the northeast. If Maine doesn't go the legacy/alumni route, he should be another candidate that's interviewed.
              I like the idea of Lang too. I also really do not want anyone previously connected to the program or university, I think a new direction is what's needed. The one exception would be if they brought in Jim Montgomery, but the chances of that are basically 0%.

Comment

• Good point on them signing Red for another year, the shortfall in state budget has to be huge. I imagine their is less money coming into UMaine from tuition also. I guess I wouldn't blame the AD for signing Red to a 1 year contract but that has to kill recruiting even more. On the other hand we all knew this was going to be a screwed up year before last season ended so why not sign Red to another year last spring? I think he is history.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  ......... I think he is history.
                  I hope you're right! Hiring a new coach would dovetail perfectly with all of the proposed renovations and new construction in the athletic department. It would provide a sense of optimism and excitement for the fan base. It's clear to me that the hockey program has floundered under Gendron's guidance and to prolong his tenure only delays the inevitable. Mean while, how can Maine recruit talent when there is so much uncertainty as to who the head coach is going to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

If you look at Red’s tenure, he had one okay year, three rough years, and then three okay years. This year is hard to judge but overall I haven’t been too disappointed most weekends.

Next year I would anticipate seventh or so and hopefully the two years after are better. I could potentially be overrating Hockey East next year based on last year and this year though. I think Maine actually has some decent forwards lined up but they are coming in 2022 and 2023. I like his strategy of getting kids from eastern canada.

Just to be clear I’m 100% okay with moving on, but if they’re not going to do it right stay with Red.

Comment

....theyre in 9th place!! Theyre already propping up the table.

i dont understand why you dont see those “middle of the pack” finishes were 100% Jeremy Swayman. He’s gone and they’re back in 9th!!

so what we get rid of Red and risk, as you say, being at the bottom of the table? We’re already there!!! Theres no risk

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

If you look at Red’s tenure, he had one okay year, three rough years, and then three okay years. This year is hard to judge but overall I haven’t been too disappointed most weekends.

Next year I would anticipate seventh or so and hopefully the two years after are better. I could potentially be overrating Hockey East next year based on last year and this year though. I think Maine actually has some decent forwards lined up but they are coming in 2022 and 2023. I like his strategy of getting kids from eastern canada.

Just to be clear I’m 100% okay with moving on, but if they’re not going to do it right stay with Red.
                        You seem to be saying that you are ok with mediocrity. I have been very disappointed on most weekends with their play. Not much offense, many useless and untimely penalties and little team discipline. Time to get somebody else to run this program.

Comment

• 2013-14 18-5-4 mostly Whitehead recruits 2014-15 14-22-3
                          2015-16 8-24-6 2016-17 11-21-4 2017-18 18-16-4
                          2018-19 15-17-4 2019-20 18-11-5 2020-21 3-10-1

105-126--31 without the first season he's 87-121-27 That's worse than mediocre.

Comment

• Originally posted by rw1733 View Post

You seem to be saying that you are ok with mediocrity. I have been very disappointed on most weekends with their play. Not much offense, many useless and untimely penalties and little team discipline. Time to get somebody else to run this program.
                            No, I’m saying if Maine is going to make a change they need to do it the right way. Since Shawn passed we have had much more of an administration problem versus a coach problem. If the administration is ready to do things they right way they should absolutely pull the trigger.

The last thing I want to see is is Maine ‘give someone a shot’ or ‘take a chance’ on someone. They need to be 100% positive they have someone who can get us back to where we want to be and that they have the right resources to do so. We’re not going to be a top program in hockey east with the smallest budget.

I can live with what Red has given us the last three years. It obviously isn’t ideal but it’s better than where we probably should be given the program’s resources. Ralph seems like he has his act together and hopefully he makes the right moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by rw1733 View Post
                              2013-14 18-5-4 mostly Whitehead recruits 2014-15 14-22-3
                              2015-16 8-24-6 2016-17 11-21-4 2017-18 18-16-4
                              2018-19 15-17-4 2019-20 18-11-5 2020-21 3-10-1

105-126--31 without the first season he's 87-121-27 That's worse than mediocre.
                              Don't confuse Drew/Red with the actual facts!

I still think that combing the D-3 ranks for coaches might be a place to start. I watch hockey at that level very closely, and there are a number of young coaches who have turned dumpster-fires into winners nearly overnight.

And I'm sure that they would all jump at the prospect of tripling (or quadrupling) their salaries, and certainly they would possess more motivation than Red has shown.

It's time to turn the old boy out to pasture. He has been a complete s*** show with his own recruits, Swayman aside.

(And, FWIW, Red was 16-15 in his first year, with (IIRC) three NHL players on his roster, courtesy of TW. He has never been anywhere near 13 wins above .500)
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-28-2021, 11:15 PM.

Comment

No, I’m saying if Maine is going to make a change they need to do it the right way. Since Shawn passed we have had much more of an administration problem versus a coach problem. If the administration is ready to do things they right way they should absolutely pull the trigger.

The last thing I want to see is is Maine ‘give someone a shot’ or ‘take a chance’ on someone. They need to be 100% positive they have someone who can get us back to where we want to be and that they have the right resources to do so. We’re not going to be a top program in hockey east with the smallest budget.

I can live with what Red has given us the last three years. It obviously isn’t ideal but it’s better than where we probably should be given the program’s resources. Ralph seems like he has his act together and hopefully he makes the right moves.
                                Agree with your statement that the biggest problem has been the administration. Not just ADs but those above who decide what they want in an AD. Ive said this from day 1 but Im optimistic about KRalph. Now we see if he gets backing.

Last edited by NorthMike; 03-01-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X