X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Maybe even 5 goalies..?
    Lol. If they put in the effort, sure. That’s all I want to see. Not talented? Then skate your rear off, each shift.
    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
    Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
      Once again, might just as well put 5 defensemen out there.
      Entertainment level wouldn’t drop.
      I'll gladly suffer through some 1-3-1 trap hockey if it means more wins.

Comment

• Maine’s split three of their four weekends all on the road. I’m not sure we really can complain that much.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Boring trap hockey is an admission of “no talent”. An occasional fluke goal is not for me. Plus, it leads to a mediocre team at best, especially when effort/motivation is lacking.
          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
          Just win.....

Comment

Boring trap hockey is an admission of “no talent”. An occasional fluke goal is not for me. Plus, it leads to a mediocre team at best, especially when effort/motivation is lacking.
            If you're unhappy with playing the trap because it admits "no talent", would you rather this "no talent" team try and play a run-n-gun style and attempt to get into shootouts and lose more games, or play low event hockey and maybe win a few more?

Comment

Boring trap hockey is an admission of “no talent”. An occasional fluke goal is not for me. Plus, it leads to a mediocre team at best, especially when effort/motivation is lacking.
              Thats what Red has to work with, wins and losses are what matters. I don't go out of my way to watch it anymore. Its not much fun
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Did Maine use the 1-3 -1 trap in both games? I was listening to the games on radio and I never heard Mahoney or Shields mention it. I seem to recall the New Jersey Devils using it when winning the Stanley Cup when Gendron was on the staff there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

Did Maine use the 1-3 -1 trap in both games? I was listening to the games on radio and I never heard Mahoney or Shields mention it. I seem to recall the New Jersey Devils using it when winning the Stanley Cup when Gendron was on the staff there.
                  They didn't, I merely suggested it as a way to take advantage of the talent disparity try and win games.

Maine always used to be so good at finding the overlooked players that could plug-n-play and it has become much harder to attract high-end talent to Orono, so why not take try and find any advantage they can to keep up with the schools that are attracting that talent. I'm a bit surprised Maine hasn't tried to implement it more.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

They didn't, I merely suggested it as a way to take advantage of the talent disparity try and win games.

Maine always used to be so good at finding the overlooked players that could plug-n-play and it has become much harder to attract high-end talent to Orono, so why not take try and find any advantage they can to keep up with the schools that are attracting that talent. I'm a bit surprised Maine hasn't tried to implement it more.
                    I'm surprised as well. It is not very entertaining but can be effective when used creatively in games. I can remember teams like UML, Merrimack and others using it at Alfond Arena when they were not very good. The opposing team can become frustrated by it. The bottom line is that fans want to see wins! I think there may be a bit more talent on this team than in past years. We will see by the end of the year if any of this talent continues to develop through the season.

Comment

About as boring as reds dump, chase in, turn over chase back out style.

Comment

• What are the chances we lose guys like Breen and Dunn? Both must be fed up with how the system is going. Especially Dunn. Seems handcuffed out there when he's allowed to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by djs298 View Post
                          What are the chances we lose guys like Breen and Dunn? Both must be fed up with how the system is going. Especially Dunn. Seems handcuffed out there when he's allowed to play.
                          At this point Morrissey would be my biggest concern where he hasn't played in a couple weeks. Maine has some good dmen coming in and I don't think losing Dunn would be the end of the world.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Thats what Red has to work with, wins and losses are what matters. I don't go out of my way to watch it anymore. Its not much fun
                            If you're going to play boring, low scoring hockey you better win.

1. Winning + High Offense
                            2. Winning + Boring
                            3. Losing + High Offense
                            4. Losing + Boring

Bad and Boring = good season to not have to worry about attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

If you're going to play boring, low scoring hockey you better win.

1. Winning + High Offense
                              2. Winning + Boring
                              3. Losing + High Offense
                              4. Losing + Boring

Bad and Boring = good season to not have to worry about attendance.
                              Zactly. I'd prefer a balls-out style, and losing 6-4 every night.

At least that's more fun to watch, and this typically under-talented Red team is going to lose most of their games anyway.

Traps work if you have the talent to convert turnovers. Bad teams that trap just keep the score down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Zactly. I'd prefer a balls-out style, and losing 6-4 every night.

At least that's more fun to watch, and this typically under-talented Red team is going to lose most of their games anyway.

Traps work if you have the talent to convert turnovers. Bad teams that trap just keep the score down.
                                I will say this- the absolute random times these games are played do go a really long way towards me not having to consume any Maine hockey. "Does Maine have a game tonight? Oh, 3:30? Nevermind."

Comment

Working...
                                X