replied
    In alphabetical order...

Barr
    Guite
    Pellerin

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear96
    replied
    The added part of the report is that the job is closed for cross-referencing, which doesn't sound like an internal candidate. I can't imagine you need to check references on somebody that's been on your payroll for the last few seasons. It could bode well for an interesting week.

Eric Gullickson of WABI and John Wagoner both confirm that Ben Barr is one of three names that have been linked to the job, though would not go into further speculation. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
    Happy Ben Barr day everyone!

*positive thinking*
    Ha, hope so!
    But reality stinks, come next week we all might be sorely disappointed. My worry is the negotiation, and not starting salary. Surely he will want certain things to ensure that he is successful, or I would hope so, while the Univ will hold certain things dear. Wether they can come to agreements???

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Good to know. It is a little surprising he has been a bridesmaid so many times given his track record as an assistant.

Hopefully we find out today or tomorrow who the winner is.
    I tend to agree with you. But I guess my point was that I wouldn't read too much into the RPI scenario with Barr--- the admin is a hot mess that cares ZERO about hockey.
    I've met Benny several times and am a fan of the guy He's learned his craft from great coaches in Leaman, Murray and Carvel. I hope he gets his shot.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by AMC View Post
    The arguments over who is allowed to post in this thread are a lot more tedious than whatever the "interlopers" are posting. To me.
    I agree, if you can't ignore what someone you don't like or care to read says you probably don't belong on the internet

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
    Breaking: Job Posting has closed and the University expects to make an announcement early next week per WABI & WVII.
    So John Buccigross will have it Saturday or Sunday I bet. Does Larry Mahoney even have Twitter?

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    The arguments over who is allowed to post in this thread are a lot more tedious than whatever the "interlopers" are posting. To me.
    Agree and Im good with it.
    Dont have to read it, and always take whatever anyone says on here in perspective.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 05-07-2021, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobF
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post

Yeah, he sucked. In fairness I don't think Winkin handled relief pitchers all that well. Sure was cool to watch some of those great teams though. One of favorite memories was Billy Swift playing centerfield in a regional in Orono. I think it was Navy they were playing. Third base coach sent a runner on 2nd on a single to Swifty in center, Maine Catcher had ball in glove before runner was halfway down the 3rd baseline. Swifty threw a line drive right to the catcher.
    Remember being at the game. Swift was definitely best player to put on a Maine baseball uniform. Went from starting pitcher to center fielder when not pitching and the kid could hit! That was a brutal loss in Omaha against Arizona. Hell I remember watching Clemens and Cal Schiraldi pitch for Texas one of the years Maine was in Omaha as well.

As for Chuck. Glad you have come around after all these years and have shown respect for Shawn. I had enough battles with you especially as Shawn was dying to not get lured back in to these discussions. Additionally my all around apathy for the hockey program over the last several years has led to fewer visit to this site and only posting occasionally. Let's all hope they get this hire right! Maine Hockey has much to offer and it would be wonderful to be relevant again! My hope was we could lure Greg Moore, but since that is not happening I am encouraged that we are getting his feedback as well as Montgomery's and other former players. It's a great job regardless of salary. May pay the least in Hockey East, but cost of living of being in Orono is a hell of a lot less than anywhere in Hockey East too!

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear96
    replied
    Breaking: Job Posting has closed and the University expects to make an announcement early next week per WABI & WVII.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear96
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Thanks folks, appreciate the lukewarm support. To be fair, I get why some folks might think I'm trolling, given our colorful past, and all that fun we used to have binging each other, back and forth. I'm honestly not intending to troll you folks, only to contribute to an exciting time where a big decision appears to be in the pipeline that could resurrect your program, and maybe even shame UNH into pursuing a more aggressive course of action for improvement than the one we're on now.

My transformation on all things Walshy (except the rule breaking, I suppose) is genuine as well. When Walsh passed, it was 20 years ago, and I was literally only beginning my own coaching career (albeit at a much lower level, in another sport) that very same month/year. I've been doing it for 20 years since, only recently stepping away (due to health issues, hopefully to return next season) and I can honestly say that I drew lots of insights from lots of great coaches in lots of different sports, with Walshy very much being one of them.

Trust me, if/when I come trolling you guys in the future, you'll know it. Anyone who was around here back in the day when things were running hot on the forum would admit ... IF I've been trolling you guys on this thread, this has been some very weak sauce.

Hope there is a decision/announcement soon. If you guys get Barr, maybe UNH will move on Cam (or vice versa) in the next couple of years, unless MS7 starts to figure things out ...

While admittedly, I've only been monitoring this thread for this past hockey season, I've found your commentary to be insightful and appropriate. Obviously, Chuck isn't going to be excited about us nailing down a potential good hire - because since when did UNH / UMaine like each other - but I appreciate his discourse in this thread. Sports are better when rivalries are legitimate - same goes for Red Sox / Yankees, Celtics / Lakers...etc.

I look forward to seeing the Alfond & Whit bouncing when these two teams return to prominence. In the meantime, I've been checking Twitter like a madman today to see if I can catch wind of who Ken Ralph has decided to move forward with...granted, it's probably not coming today.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Chucks always had a bit of a hidden agenda. Years and years of history. Take him with a grain of salt understanding that no one really gives a chit about 99% of what's said on these boards, even though some think their words have influence.
    Fair enough. Not sure it's "hidden" at this point, I want UNH to win important games, and I want UNH to be just a little bit better than UMaine while facing each other in some of those important games. To me, it never got better than 2002, when UNH won their first HEA Tourney title over you guys, and 2-3 weeks later, UMaine wreaked its revenge in St. Paul.

Other than that, I agree 100% with the rest of your post. Growing up, it was always more fun (for me) to debate sports with folks who didn't necessarily share my opinions and viewpoints, and that's what made the old/original USCHO so great. When I took some time away from USCHO, when I came back, I was frankly disappointed to see such little appetite for folks crossing into threads, which had become more like echo chamber "bubbles". It's become a much bigger trend too in the outside world, and it's created a lot more division than unity IMO. Not a good thing, when we only listen to what we want to hear, and don't challenge our own beliefs with opposing or alternate views from time to time, just to make sure our opinions may still be valid (or not).

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree. To me, I think Chuck is kind of trolling, but he's also contributing a lot of genuine discussion to the thread and keeping it active. I don't really see much of a problem with his actions.
    Thanks folks, appreciate the lukewarm support. To be fair, I get why some folks might think I'm trolling, given our colorful past, and all that fun we used to have binging each other, back and forth. I'm honestly not intending to troll you folks, only to contribute to an exciting time where a big decision appears to be in the pipeline that could resurrect your program, and maybe even shame UNH into pursuing a more aggressive course of action for improvement than the one we're on now.

My transformation on all things Walshy (except the rule breaking, I suppose) is genuine as well. When Walsh passed, it was 20 years ago, and I was literally only beginning my own coaching career (albeit at a much lower level, in another sport) that very same month/year. I've been doing it for 20 years since, only recently stepping away (due to health issues, hopefully to return next season) and I can honestly say that I drew lots of insights from lots of great coaches in lots of different sports, with Walshy very much being one of them.

Trust me, if/when I come trolling you guys in the future, you'll know it. Anyone who was around here back in the day when things were running hot on the forum would admit ... IF I've been trolling you guys on this thread, this has been some very weak sauce.

Hope there is a decision/announcement soon. If you guys get Barr, maybe UNH will move on Cam (or vice versa) in the next couple of years, unless MS7 starts to figure things out ...

Leave a comment:

• acs64
    replied
    Chucks always had a bit of a hidden agenda. Years and years of history. Take him with a grain of salt understanding that no one really gives a chit about 99% of what’s said on these boards, even though some think their words have influence.

Leave a comment:

• Wayuphere
    replied
    Hockey talk. All good.
    We could talk covid……ummm, NO.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    I'd be inclined to agree. To me, I think Chuck is kind of trolling, but he's also contributing a lot of genuine discussion to the thread and keeping it active. I don't really see much of a problem with his actions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X