Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Please, my friend.

Red inherited a team that had Ben Hutton, Devin Shore and Veasey on its roster, all elite players, and nothing like the dregs that Barr (?) will have to deal with.

There were several other really quality players there as well. To favorably compare what Red has left behind to what Timmy did is truly ridiculous.

I'm somewhat excited that new blood is quite possibly here, but the cupboard remains bare for some time, unless the transfer portal trumps the Covid extensions.

(THAT will an interesting calculus, for sure, and maybe Barr already has some verbal commitments?)

Vesey was actually Red’s first recruit. Not a complete shock you couldn’t come up with three good Timmy players that were left

I’ve got a lot of mixed feelings to be honest. My heart breaks for Guite, and to some degree it isn’t the ending someone of his stature deserves. Maine only has one national championship without him.

I hope Barr is an unbelievable success and honestly I think he has a lot going for himself. The first order of business is keeping the kids from eastern Canada, especially Richard and Breen. It’s nice that he is coming into a situation with two solid goalies. That is a luxury Red obviously didn’t have.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Hopefully we get good news at 11am and that news is Ben Barr is leading the program. We need new blood, someone who can recruit to Orono. Someone who plays todays game not last years or year before etc. Be watching my phone around 11am
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

I was first told that Barr would be the guy the night of the frozen four title game, and that message stayed consistent throughout, from multiple people. Glad to see (it appears) that the info was accurate!
        Not that it matters, but Barr was in their sites even before Reds passing, possibly it seems then.
        Some on here were speculating that at the time.
        Last edited by NorthMike; 05-12-2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• Wabi tv sports reports this morning that Guite confirmed to Gullikson he was not offered the job.
          Press conference definitely at 11 am.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            Wabi tv sports reports this morning that Guite confirmed to Gullikson he was not offered the job.
            Press conference definitely at 11 am.
            Nice, the future looks better for Maine Hockey. Can't wait till the season starts now.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• (Hopefully not a premature?) congrats to my UMaine-iac friends. I think this is your best outcome.

Not sure why there have been congrats spread beyond AD Ralph to the hiring committee though? I think you'd have come up with the same result if you pulled a half-dozen of the most knowledgeable UMaine posters on this thread. The best available choice for the job was always pretty obvious, and it was always going to come down to whether the AD could sell him on it.

Let's see what they all have to say later this morning. Must be an exciting time for all the diehards.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Ben Barr - UMass.
                Fingers crossed.....

Comment

• Hope this works out for you guys. Good luck.
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Really excited for the future of Maine hockey. Ralph deserves a huge round of applause. He put together an excellent search committee and the committee looks to have delivered.

The uscho blogs are the best form of investigative journalism in college hockey lol. All the talk of the future coach was spot on.
                    I have to say that I was totally wrong with Ralph. He is not as public as other ADs but maybe that is a good thing. Nothing is guaranteed.....but at least he is setting the program up for success with (hopefully) a premiere national caliber assistant.....and updated facilities courtesy of the Alfond Foundation. I don't think that we can underestimate the power of that donation to UM athletics......without it, this hire doesn't happen.

Comment

• I really don't think Maine could have hoped for someone better than Barr. That's not to say it guarantees success but it's the type of hire Maine needed.

If it doesn't work out I don't know where Maine goes from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        I really don't think Maine could have hoped for someone better than Barr. That's not to say it guarantees success but it's the type of hire Maine needed.

If it doesn't work out I don't know where Maine goes from there.
                        Maine fans need to step away from the cliff. Good bless him, but how could 16-20 year old recruits relate to a 63 year old man who railed on about "the old girl" and coached a style of hockey suited for the late 1970s? Red was someone that you would want as a father, father in-law, uncle or friend.......not a college hockey coach in 2021. This hire coupled with new Shawn Walsh Center and other Alfond improvements at least gives Maine Hockey a fighting chance in the new college hockey era.

Comment

• I'll be honest after sleeping on it for a night I still don't feel great about it. I think Ben Barr has the potential to be an awesome coach and he absolutely was the best candidate as far as outsiders go. I think after all the trauma the players have been through the past year with Covid and losing Red this wasn't the right direction to go. I know some folks think they all suck and want to see them leave anyway but that just isn't true. Hopefully they do stay, and have the best of experiences, but if they do bail I'd be very surprised if Barr is successful. It's a lot harder to recruit if the program goes from middle of the pack to propping up the table.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Umm UMass was as big a laughingstock as could and he was able to recruit just fine. Cheer up Drew. This is a good day for Maine hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I'll be honest after sleeping on it for a night I still don't feel great about it. I think Ben Barr has the potential to be an awesome coach and he absolutely was the best candidate as far as outsiders go. I think after all the trauma the players have been through the past year with Covid and losing Red this wasn't the right direction to go. I know some folks think they all suck and want to see them leave anyway but that just isn't true. Hopefully they do stay, and have the best of experiences, but if they do bail I'd be very surprised if Barr is successful. It's a lot harder to recruit if the program goes from middle of the pack to propping up the table.
                              Cmon Drew. Maine just landed the best possible hire. I feel for the players, Guite and Alfie over the loss of Red but at some point a tough decision had to be made. At the time of his death, Red hadn’t been extended, we’ll never know whether Ralph was going to take the program in a new direction anyway.

Guite’s resume does not stack up to Barr’s. Barr has proven he can recruit anywhere. Maine will be the biggest brand that Barr will ever have recruited with. If he can recruit to empty arenas at Union, Providence and UMass, he will be able to recruit to a sold out Alfond. I’m sure it was tough on Montgomery and Snow to tell a black bear hockey alum that we have to go with the outsider but at the end of the day the right decision was made.

I’m hopeful, if Barr can’t do it, we’re in trouble.

Fill the steins to Ben Barr and to a new age of Maine hockey

Comment

• The official hockey twitter account tweeted "Soon" at 8:25. Nothing on the website as of yet. No word on if it'll be streamed.

Comment

Working...
                                X