BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cridge View Post
    Who is potential flight risk for this team? Newhook, boldy, Knight are the clear favorites, but is there any chance that McBain and Helleson leave? Helleson had an exceptional year, but COL is loaded on D so I don't see any way he signs.
    Your guess is as good as mine. In this strange year where in a lot of cases these college kids didn't get a lot of game action I think everything is on the table. McBain, Helleson...Hardman is drawing interest as an undrafted FA.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post

Ha! Could’ve fooled me.

But it really doesn’t matter. I did say “schools like BC.” That whole age defense comes across as sour grapes every time I hear it.

Maybe when you have a bunch of 24 year old seniors on your roster they look at the potential of their last college game (and perhaps last meaningful game) a little more seriously than a 19 year old who has one foot out the door and has been told their whole life they can do no wrong on the ice? Just a thought.
      I've gotten over the other teams have older players angle. I still don't love it but it's up to other programs to adjust. The example for BC would be Mike Hardman. They need more guys like him who come in a bit older and are physically mature and able to handle their own out there. I do think that the blue chip programs are finally realizing this and starting to adjust. We'll see who is able to do it best over the next few years.

Comment

• Can someone tell me where BC ranked in terms of age when they won in 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012? It's an honest question and I don't know the answer or if we can figure out how to look it up retroactively but I'll be honest, it seems like EVERY YEAR BC is in the top 5 or 10 for youngest team, often right at the top it seems like. Am I wrong here? Or is the age gap between them and others just getting more significant?

I honestly think pointing to this ignores all the other problems that are more self-inflicted.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Collegehockeystats.net probably has that info buried deep in it. My guess is those BC teams were among the youngest in the nation as well. I think a big difference today is that the NCAA route compares more favorably to the CHL than it has at any time in the past. Where as 10 years ago, for many NCAA D1 hockey was considered the pinnacle and any level of pro hockey after that was gravy. Now NCAA is a legitimate route to the NHL. While 15-20 years ago you saw lots of D1 kids just removed from Prep School hockey, now basically most 18 or 19 year old NCAA freshman are NHL draft picks who already have a couple years of Junior or NTDP hockey under their belts.

For the record, I am a fan of BC and their historically younger rosters. But I also think there is something about the grittiness of a 21 year old freshman who has exhausted their Junior hockey eligibility and is immensely grateful to have received a scholarship and get to play 4 more years of meaningful hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Can someone tell me where BC ranked in terms of age when they won in 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012? It's an honest question and I don't know the answer or if we can figure out how to look it up retroactively but I'll be honest, it seems like EVERY YEAR BC is in the top 5 or 10 for youngest team, often right at the top it seems like. Am I wrong here? Or is the age gap between them and others just getting more significant?

I honestly think pointing to this ignores all the other problems that are more self-inflicted.
            Just looked it up on elite prospects. BU and BC were the two youngest teams in nation. BU with 20.79 avg age and BC with 20.26 avg age.

Comment

Can someone tell me where BC ranked in terms of age when they won in 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012? It's an honest question and I don't know the answer or if we can figure out how to look it up retroactively but I'll be honest, it seems like EVERY YEAR BC is in the top 5 or 10 for youngest team, often right at the top it seems like. Am I wrong here? Or is the age gap between them and others just getting more significant?

they're pretty much the youngest team every year (like you not sure how to research it).

the 3 years for top players + 4 year contributors though is real

% of goals from upperclassmen, looking at recent years
              20-21: 32% (st. cloud curbstomp)
              19-20: 55% (fauci'd)
              18-19: 63% (no tournament - % is high but lowest scoring team over this stretch by a lot)
              17-18: 27% (no tournament)
              16-17: 39% (no tournament)
              15-16: 56% (loss in FF to Qpac)
              14-15: 26% (loss in 1st round to denver)
              13-14: 65% (Union loss in FF)
              12-13: 59% (Union flameout at Dunk)
              11-12: 66% (NC)
              10-11: 68% (St. Louis flameout)
              09-10: 42% (NC)
              07-08: 61% (NC)

Comment

Not wrong but I haven't put a lot of effort into comparing that era of college hockey compared to now and what the differences are. It's very likely that the age gap has continued to increase but I don't know for sure. Maybe we simply aren't giving enough credit to them for what they accomplished in those years. Maybe they made it look a lot easier than it should have been/was. It's not an easy thing to replicate for a 20 year period. Duluth is the new BC but Sandelin had some lean years himself before this recent run of dominance. And eventually their run will end. There are a lot of good programs out there and parity is real. That's just the reality. The last two seasons were good years coming off the NCAA tournament drought. Now, if they dip back down to missing the tournament the next couple years whatever model they are following isn't working.

If you wanna keep it regional, York should be looking to how Leaman and Carvel have run their programs. Both with two FFs from 2015 on. PC has lost some guys early and UMass lost Makar but they continue on and are now in the NCAA tournament hunt every year. That's where you wanna be. If getting back to 2008-2012 BC is impossible, try a different approach that works in today's landscape.

Comment

• Stating the obvious but it is worth remembering that only 4 teams out of 58 get there every year. One of our problems is that we have been spoiled and we know what good is. As good as Bazin and Leaman are they haven't made that many FFs. Remember Union and Quinnie from just a few years ago. I agree that the coaches need to challenge their own assumptions, again one has to be like a NHL GM in building a team. College hockey has become more like a franchise business, Berkley College could decide to have a team hire a name coach and populate the roster out of this year's transfer portal and probably win a few games. The Berkley Blue Notes, I am sure the band would be fantastic

Comment

• bucci is saying hardman is gone to chicago

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      bucci is saying hardman is gone to chicago
                      Next few days are big one for BC...hardman, boldy, newhook and knight decisions loom large for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        bucci is saying hardman is gone to chicago
                        WOW. Good for him

Comment

• If he is gone that does not bode well for the others sticking, including Helleson. Yikes.

Comment

• Wow

board goes dark and all y’all lose 4 soph:-(
                            sucks
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Is this thing on? Eric Dop headed from BG to BC. 2.16 GAA and .923 save percentage for good BG team last year. Very nice pickup.

Comment

• Not even going to pile on - the mass exodus of talent must be crushing. On the bright side of it was to happen any year it’s a good year to do it since you can bring in transfers. You guys could always bring in a bunch of 26 year olds and make the frozen four as that seems like the recipe nowadays.
                                Last edited by Lemonade; 04-03-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X