BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Using J.D.'s lines I just wanted to compare what a possible BC vs BU lineup would look like.
    BC BU
    Hardman-Newhook-Boldy llll - llll Tuch-Amonte-O'brien
    Nesterenko-McBain-Hutsko llll - llll Cockerill-Wise-Peterson
    Weight-McLaughlin-Ambrosio llll - llll Mastrosimone-Skoog-Phillips
    Carreau/Roy-Izyk-Giles llll - llll Zabaneh-Stevens-Quercia/Armstrong

Warren-Helleson llll - llll Farrance-McCarthy
    Karow-Powell llll - llll Vlasic-Kotkansalo
    Lovell-Agnew llll - llll Webber-Fensore

Knight llll - llll Commesso

Looking at this both teams have solid goaltending but edge BC with Knight, Commesso should be solid though.
    Defense looks to be in BU's favor because they have 5/6 returning, plus Farrance
    Offense looks like a slight edge BC IMO, but BU seems to have more depth while BC has better top line talent.

IF BC defense has a solid year then BC can be just as dangerous as last. Yet, some guys will need to step up
    Last edited by cridge; 06-02-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

When you have what would be a dynamite line in the returning freshman line and a Logan Hutsko, BC should score plenty of goals. Defense will be the question mark. Would expect some bumps in the road there but the offense and Knight should make up for a lot of that. Even with the 4 seniors on defense last year, that was still thought of as the weakest link. So if Warren and Helleson take that next step, maybe they can hold their own as the season progresses.

And you can never underestimate what the presence of a player like Newhook does to an entire team. Hutsko too for that matter.

Comment

Also, I think the offense is a big edge for BC, not a slight one. I see significant question marks for BU in the top six that BC does not have.

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
          Using J.D.'s lines I just wanted to compare what a possible BC vs BU lineup would look like.
          BC BU
          Hardman-Newhook-Boldy llll - llll Tuch-Amonte-O'brien
          Nesterenko-McBain-Hutsko llll - llll Cockerill-Wise-Peterson
          Weight-McLaughlin-Ambrosio llll - llll Mastrosimone-Skoog-Phillips
          Carreau/Roy-Izyk-Giles llll - llll Zabaneh-Stevens-Quercia/Armstrong

Warren-Helleson llll - llll Farrance-McCarthy
          Karow-Powell llll - llll Vlasic-Kotkansalo
          Lovell-Agnew llll - llll Webber-Fensore

Knight llll - llll Commesso

Looking at this both teams have solid goaltending but edge BC with Knight, Commesso should be solid though.
          Defense looks to be in BU's favor because they have 5/6 returning, plus Farrance
          Offense looks like a slight edge BC IMO, but BU seems to have more depth while BC has better top line talent.

IF BC defense has a solid year then BC can be just as dangerous as last. Yet, some guys will need to step up
          I think BC/BU is a lot closer than many think. BC was led last year with fantastic defense core who were all seniors and battle tested. This years back end is a massive concern. Knight is fantastic but you can only do so much. BU will have much better goaltending than last season and will have a great veteran defensive back end to help out similar to BC last year. Up front BC has the knod but BU could surprise if Amonte is healthy and O'Brien lives up to his 1st round status.

I have it:
          Forwards = BC
          Defense = BU
          Goaltending = even

Should make for some great games.

Comment

Last year's defense was not fantastic. Yes, they had a lot of experience but it was never a great group. They were solid, all that was needed. You have to give Knight the edge, he performed very well and we haven't even seen Commesso in a game yet.

The games between the two teams will be close I am sure, but I just don't see BU as anything but a fringe tournament team at best. And that could be generous. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Last year's defense was not fantastic. Yes, they had a lot of experience but it was never a great group. They were solid, all that was needed. You have to give Knight the edge, he performed very well and we haven't even seen Commesso in a game yet.

The games between the two teams will be close I am sure, but I just don't see BU as anything but a fringe tournament team at best. And that could be generous. We'll see.

Fair enough. Commesso had better stats than Knight at the NTDP on a less talented team so he should be very good. Commesso will also have a better defense group in front of him thus why I said its pretty even. BC got screwed this year as things lined up for them to make a good run in the NCAA tournament - I don't expect the the same success next season as I see that defensive group as ridiculously young and unproven.
              Last edited by Lemonade; 06-02-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

He could be great, I just think there's an edge when you already have that first year of D1 experience under your belt. If BU buys into being a defense first team it could turn out well. But that top six forward group...yikes. And I am banking on BCs success primarily coming on the heels of star players. Knight, Newhook, Boldy and Hutsko.

Comment

He could be great, I just think there's an edge when you already have that first year of D1 experience under your belt. If BU buys into being a defense first team it could turn out well. But that top six forward group...yikes. And I am banking on BCs success primarily coming on the heels of star players. Knight, Newhook, Boldy and Hutsko.
                  Valid angle. I just have serious serious concerns on BCs back end. BU forwards are an issue for sure. BC is going to have to expect their big time players to really carry them - there is huge drop off there. BU looks like a more defense minded with production being spread around type team. BCs defense is going to be a massive issue and the reason I don't think they repeat last years success.

Comment

With goaltending and possessing the puck on offense I am hoping they can hide that weakness a bit and ease the new guys in. I am sure there will be hiccups for sure. Just hope we have a season!

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                      Since UAH is back does this mean the transfer is still coming?
                      Yep.

If I were him I'd walk from UAH to BC if I had to.
                      Yep.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Also, I think the offense is a big edge for BC, not a slight one. I see significant question marks for BU in the top six that BC does not have.
                        Agree with you about the top 6. I just believe BU will be more of a well rounded team this upcoming year. They are losing their top 3 scorers on offense which will leave a huge bubble. I do believe it could play well in BU's favor (I understand it sounds weird). Watching BU all season last year you could tell Zegras and Harper had one foot out the door, which I feel might've rubbed off on the team a bit. All of BU's scoring came from that one line basically. This incoming class for BU there seems to be no one and dones, which will be good for BU because more players will buy into the season instead of focusing on the pros.

Looking at BU's forwards is there a line that can be relied on to score a big time goal? Not at the moment. Are BU's forwards as skilled as BC's? No. BU will be getting some must needed size this year which will benefit them.

To sum this up, I think BC's forwards outmatch BU's forwards more in 2019-2020 than 2020-2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by cridge View Post
                          Agree with you about the top 6. I just believe BU will be more of a well rounded team this upcoming year. They are losing their top 3 scorers on offense which will leave a huge bubble. I do believe it could play well in BU's favor (I understand it sounds weird). Watching BU all season last year you could tell Zegras and Harper had one foot out the door, which I feel might've rubbed off on the team a bit. All of BU's scoring came from that one line basically. This incoming class for BU there seems to be no one and dones, which will be good for BU because more players will buy into the season instead of focusing on the pros.

Looking at BU's forwards is there a line that can be relied on to score a big time goal? Not at the moment. Are BU's forwards as skilled as BC's? No. BU will be getting some must needed size this year which will benefit them.

To sum this up, I think BC's forwards outmatch BU's forwards more in 2019-2020 than 2020-2021.
                          I expect BC will dominate on offense. They have a terrific returning core and a few outstanding freshmen coming in. We’re still looking at having Giles on a 4th line.

Knight is the best goalie in the country and Wilder is a solid back up. On defense BC will have to break in 3-4 freshman which is always difficult. I would not be surprised if they add another defenseman over the summer.

Overall, based on returning talent and incoming freshman, BC is the clear favorite in the East this coming season. Hopefully, we can all go to the games this year.

Go Eagles!

Comment

BC hires Temple AD Patrick Kraft to replace Jarmond. 5 year contract.
                            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                            BC - 12
                            BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

He was on the short list when the search started. They kept things pretty quiet, not sure who else they even interviewed. But this guy does have a pretty good resume to date.

Comment

He was on the short list when the search started. They kept things pretty quiet, not sure who else they even interviewed. But this guy does have a pretty good resume to date.
                                I hope so. Keeping an open mind, but remembering that Addazio came from Temple as well, that's a bad omen...
                                The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                                BC - 12
                                BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X