X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by defkit View Post

May have already been answered (catching up on older posts), but I would venture to guess that BU, BC, Michigan, Minnesota are among the youngest teams every year, simply because they recruit and land USNTDP kids every year. Let's face it, NOBODY else arrives to a D-1 school at age 17 or 18, other than the Ann Arbor (sorry, Plymouth) kids. Twenty-five years ago, HS kids could go straight to D-1. Then it was only Prep kids who might have one PG year, so they might be 19. Now, even the prep kids have to play at least one year in the USHL. So basically, you have USNTDP kids arriving at 17/18, everyone else is 20 or older. I don't love it, but that's how it works these days.
    Imagine seeing a kid like Blake Bellefeuille go from Framingham High straight to BC and be a PPG player right off the bat. I am not well versed enough to know who really started bringing in older freshmen or if it just sorta happened organically over time which probably coincided with the rise of the USNTDP.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
    BC has two players from BG, goalie & forward and a forward from CC. Three very good additions. They need two actual defenseman that can clear the front of the net and get the puck out of the zone. I think they told Karrow and Lovell to move on to make room for two more transfers. The portal gives BC the chance to reload. I expect we will have 5 transfers this year.

It makes no sense to make kids delay their college career to play junior hockey. This unbelievably happens in D 3 hockey as well. One year of junior or prep hockey and you must be no older than 22 when your senior season starts. That should be the rule. No more 24 & 25 year olds. It’s become a very boring game to watch.

Go Eagles!
    I’m really interested to see how this experiment goes. Has there ever been a good team with say half a dozen transfers? I don’t really see it being super successful but time will tell. Is it a little strange Jerry can’t find some decent freshmen to bring in?

Leave a comment:

• DNAEagle
    replied
    This is the state of the college game today, I prefer the game from years ago, generally 4 year players, no or very few transfers, and kids you could watch grow and develop. I am guessing if coaches could answer honestly they would tell you they prefer the old game as well. Not sure how kids who play 4 years at one school go to a grad program at another school (for one year ) have much of a connection to the grad school. I certainly did not connect to my grad school as I did to my undergraduate school. I will still go to the games and root hard for BC, it is the best sports value in town, you can watch future NHLer's, tickets are 20 bucks, parking is free but complicated, ad now they serve beer. Hard to beat that as long as you see it for what it is, entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Can someone tell me where BC ranked in terms of age when they won in 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012? It's an honest question and I don't know the answer or if we can figure out how to look it up retroactively but I'll be honest, it seems like EVERY YEAR BC is in the top 5 or 10 for youngest team, often right at the top it seems like. Am I wrong here? Or is the age gap between them and others just getting more significant?

I honestly think pointing to this ignores all the other problems that are more self-inflicted.
    May have already been answered (catching up on older posts), but I would venture to guess that BU, BC, Michigan, Minnesota are among the youngest teams every year, simply because they recruit and land USNTDP kids every year. Let's face it, NOBODY else arrives to a D-1 school at age 17 or 18, other than the Ann Arbor (sorry, Plymouth) kids. Twenty-five years ago, HS kids could go straight to D-1. Then it was only Prep kids who might have one PG year, so they might be 19. Now, even the prep kids have to play at least one year in the USHL. So basically, you have USNTDP kids arriving at 17/18, everyone else is 20 or older. I don't love it, but that's how it works these days.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
    It makes no sense to make kids delay their college career to play junior hockey. This unbelievably happens in D 3 hockey as well. One year of junior or prep hockey and you must be no older than 22 when your senior season starts. That should be the rule. No more 24 & 25 year olds. It’s become a very boring game to watch.

Go Eagles!
    I really get that you're still upset about your team losing. But you need to get over it. BC will continue to win games and play in the tournament more often than not.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    With Hreschuk coming, they would have 7 d if those guys don't come back. I would think one transfer dman and not two.

Leave a comment:

• eaglekeeper
    replied
    BC has two players from BG, goalie & forward and a forward from CC. Three very good additions. They need two actual defenseman that can clear the front of the net and get the puck out of the zone. I think they told Karrow and Lovell to move on to make room for two more transfers. The portal gives BC the chance to reload. I expect we will have 5 transfers this year.

Go Eagles!

Leave a comment:

• BCeagle
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Dop played 4 years at BG. I wouldn't say he has no connection to the school. Who knows if BG is bringing in a freshman goalie and told him he should move on. Every situation could be different. Not every school is gonna take advantage of the extra scholarship opportunities either.

Lovell, not Powell. As for Karow, what if BC said they didn't have room for him? Or maybe he ends up staying because Lovell moves on? Just because you are in the portal doesn't mean you can't end up staying. Galajda is in the portal but the Ivies are allowing grad students so maybe he ends up staying. Aidan Hreschuk is a very good freshman coming in. If both Karow and Lovell go elsewhere they'll be looking to add a dman.
    I guess we have to get use to this but it was nice to have the sophmores for a couple of years

It would have been nice to have Boldy, Knight, Hardman and Newhook one more year but who can now come in early now from the 2022 recruits ?

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    ...Should help the blue bloods make the NCAA tournament more consistently...
    "Round up the usual suspects."

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    I do think the transfer portal is going to help programs like BC bridge that gap. Should help the blue bloods make the NCAA tournament more consistently. That's half the battle.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Hey if that's what it takes for certain programs, BC can do the same. As Bill Belichick says, do business as business is being done.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
    Years ago if you were a 26 year old still in college you were a loser. Now that 26 year is called a sophomore at st. Cloud
    And kicking BU/BC *** in the tourney as well.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Years ago if you were a 26 year old still in college you were a loser. Now that 26 year is called a sophomore at st. Cloud

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    The grad transfer thing has been around for what, 5-10 years? I think that has been if the school you are going to has a grad program not offered by current school. Do I have that right? I don't see an issue with that. You're just playing an extra year somewhere.

The current transfer portal flood due to COVID rules is a bit different. That will be phased out once current freshmen complete their now 5 years of eligibility. But it's gonna be a hectic 5 years as programs try to figure out the best approach. I think it's basically immediate eligibility regardless of the situation.

You're going to see a lot of incoming recruits delayed a year and some not even find a home to play college hockey. At least that's what I think will happen. Not ideal but that's life. Nobody is guaranteed a chance to play college sports.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Personally although I am a fan of college hockey I think it’s become a joke. What once was a sport of college age kids has been taken over by 25 year old men. No other ncaa has a junior league must and that doesn’t effect the product at all. Bu the time those kids are 18 they have played over 1,000 games there is no need for jr hockey. Let college hockey be for college age kids. This transfer adds to this mess and essentially makes it a free agent market with zero ties to a college. NCAA hockey is going in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X