BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Also let's be happy we're watching real OT hockey and not the circus sideshow dogchit that is 3x3.
    +1,000. Time for the HEA, ECAC, and Atlantic programs to grow spines and stand up to the western programs that never saw a gimmick they didn't like.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      +1,000. Time for the HEA, ECAC, and Atlantic programs to grow spines and stand up to the western programs that never saw a gimmick they didn't like.
      Except 3x3 overtime will remain for another season before it can be changed. And at least one Hockey East coach, Coach O'Connell, has made statements in support of it since his hiring.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• I miss Logan Hustko and so does BC, experienced, competitive and smart and very good in all three zones. The boo birds are out for JY, nonsense, they were the number 1-2 team all year. They did not have a good game and Knight was even worse, but he has stole many one goal games for us this year and last. New season, new trophy next week, put it behind you and win the next 4.
        Last edited by DNAEagle; 03-18-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Shame on York for not winning the conference tournament last year and the Beanpot this year!
          And for not having Carreau drag his skate. He was a much better coach 20 years ago, when his team coughed up a 2 goal lead in the final four minutes to North Dakota (including a too many men penalty). Then he became brilliant when Kolanos made a rush in OT.

Re: overtime. Of course it makes sense to have OT be 5X5 when there is no time limit. The question has always been during the reg season, what do you do for ties. 3x3 is better than the shootout. Either keep ties, or 3x3, which is super entertaining, more so than having a guy do warmup dipsy doodle trick shots.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-18-2021, 08:07 AM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Two words: Puck management.

How many times did BC ice the puck last night? BC clearly is a quick-strike kind of team that is able to get by on the skilled goals they pop in here and there but the lack of possession and quick frankly, total disregard for it, is why they look the way they do and why they are once again a team that is continuing the trend of postseason failure. Possession generates chances, generally brings you more PPs than the other team, and keeps the ice tilted in one direction. And yes while we can say Knight was beyond terrible and basically the only reason they lost the game, it's not a problem if you don't spend the game in your zone and let the other team launch shots at your net all night.

If they practice, they don't play like it.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Moving forward: I think a line shakeup of lines 2-4 need to happen. Not sure what is going on with any injuries (why Shamburger was in there last night?) but I don't see any reason to sit Weight if he's healthy. I want Weight and Kuntar in the lineup if healthy. Maybe give Andres shifts up front if you're dresssing him as a 7th DMan. He's not great in his own zone yet and seems like a liability (hopeful he can develop) but I think he has some size that could help grind some fourth line shifts with success. Then he's there as a 7th Dman should someone get hurt. Nesterenko and Ambrosio have more to give. Although worth noting Ambrosio had two unsuccessful breakaways last night. Izyk is another guy that maybe should play although I don't know where you put him.

I generally dislike lamenting at the loss of a player that is gone but losing Hutsko was probably a death blow to the season.

Anyway, they might be able to sneak into some tournament wins with a 60 minute effort. Maybe. With Knight and the top line, they could do anything. But I worry that this isn't a team built for postseason play (again). Total role reversal the past decade from what we've seen with the golden era where regular season was just good but they were postseason juggernauts. That being said, you always have to look forward to playing some games with the inevitable superior officiating from other conferences. And generally speaking, the SO SUPERIOR western teams get sucked into running and gunning with BC traditionally for whatever reason. I'd rather play those teams than deal with a Hockey East team in the tournament.

Side note: was anyone else astonished at how many times NESN people kept saying it was St. Ivany's goal (they probably said it 20+ times) when it was obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that Giles tipped it? Jaffe is pretty solid but him and Caron kept saying it repeatedly. Then they go into the studio and those guys kept saying it. It was strange; almost felt like it was intentional.
              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-18-2021, 08:46 AM.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• I'm not sure on the lineup shakeup when you are now in a win or go home situation. Is that the time to risk it when you are coming off a game where you scored 5 goals? They do have a week to practice but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCeagle View Post

BC for some reason does not like to block shots and plays a passive defense in their zone

The blocked shot count was 19-4 in favor of BC.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post

The blocked shot count was 19-4 in favor of BC.
                    BCs puck possession can be questioned but thanks for pointing this out. Last night was not a defensive meltdown from BC. That is not what happened.

Comment

• UML found the hole in Knight's wall, they kept shooting at it all night long. Not sure of the last time a team scored 5 goals on them in reg but it had to be ahile ago. Have to give Lowell credit, they kept plugging away and came out with a win. That is a Bazin type team, no superstars, they play a tough grinding game and BC does not like to play that type of game. Could have gone either way, last night it was Lowell. Don't change the lines or the pairings just adjust the attitude, how ever many you are leading by, don't let up, it is not enough.

Comment

• Watts with the ENG for Wisconsin. Anyone ever figure out what led to her leaving BC? Not a big women's hockey guy but how the hell did it take this long for ESPN to put the FF on TV?

Comment

• All the scoring came from the first line and one PP goal. I would definitely make the following changes.

Giles, McLaughlin, Ambrosio
                          Kuntar, McBain, Nestarenko
                          Carreau, Roy, Izyk or Weight.

Giles and Kuntar are very good along the wall and behind the net. They can get the puck to Ambrosio and Nestarenko. You are only changing one player on each line. It’s also better for defense to split up Ambrosio & Nestarenko.

We need an upperclassman on the 4th line. Carreau brings that and Izyk is a sophomore.
                          We really can’t roll 4 lines since we moved Carreau up to the 3rd line.

If we don’t develop more scoring depth, teams will focus on shutting down our top line. We also need our forwards to help out in the d-zone. Giles and Kuntar are very good at that. They are both big, tough kids that can really help solve our dzone problems.

I agree that their puck possession needs to improve. It starts by not turning over the puck in the neutral zone. Gain the line and dump the puck in against the 1-2-2 trap. JY’s teams were always good at keeping the puck down low, cycling and finding the open man for a good scoring chance. They eat up a lot of time with that style and really limit their opponents opportunities. They use to be able to hold teams to one or two goals against in tournament games. They were very hard to score on.

Go Eagles!

Comment

• Saw that TJ Walsh is transferring from NU. Originally a BC commit. Hasn't gone as planned for him.

Comment

• The transfer portal is going to be very helpful to the elite teams that lose their 1st and 2nd round picks after their freshman and sophomore years. Coangelo could be another flight risk for NU.

Go Eagles!

Comment

• Good for Zach and Johnny.

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues
                                Zach Sanford turned pro after his sophomore year of college and promised his mother that one day he would go back and get his degree. Now, he's making good on that promise

https://***********/i/status/1372618562544668675

Comment

Working...
                                X