so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

The NA3HL is moving forward as we billet for our local team (our boys arrived on Sunday, other teams in our division have a week of practice in already). But then again, the league is a pay to play league, so some of the expenses are covered there. They are also staying within their division, so our local team will be playing the other four teams 10 times this season, plus three games at the NA3HL Showcase in December in Blaine, MN.

As for attendance, our team told us the other day it will land somewhere between 250 and 500 (our rink can sit 1500 comfortably) and masks will have to be worn by the spectators. No ticket window, all ticketing will be presale online on a first come, first serve basis. Luckily we billet, so we get seats as part of our billeting fees. I have heard that is how the other teams in our division are going to handle it as well, so road trips to support our boys will no longer be a night before decision.
    But isn't the NA3HL a pay-to-play league? They can just up the fees to make up for the lost revenue.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

But isn't the NA3HL a pay-to-play league? They can just up the fees to make up for the lost revenue.

GFM
      I did state that they were pay to play. I do believe there is a limit on the amount of fees they can charge, and looking at attendance of some teams, I would guess they are maxing that out to the limit already to make ends meet, pre-COVID. And the fees are not the same all across the board for all players. If there is a stud that is considering your team, a reduction in the fees may be in order to try and reel him in.

Also, I think teams are carrying more players this year. One reason may be for more revenue (fees collected), the other is to offer a little more depth just in case. I know our team's roster is currently at 31, they usually carry 24 or 25.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I did state that they were pay to play. I do believe there is a limit on the amount of fees they can charge, and looking at attendance of some teams, I would guess they are maxing that out to the limit already to make ends meet, pre-COVID. And the fees are not the same all across the board for all players. If there is a stud that is considering your team, a reduction in the fees may be in order to try and reel him in.

Also, I think teams are carrying more players this year. One reason may be for more revenue (fees collected), the other is to offer a little more depth just in case. I know our team's roster is currently at 31, they usually carry 24 or 25.
        I hope that your owner is quality. I've read some horror shows about NA3 hockey.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

I hope that your owner is quality. I've read some horror shows about NA3 hockey.

GFM
          Our ownership family seems to be on the up and up. They own another NA3 team plus a NAHL team. But yes, there are some horror stories out there. I have heard a few from our billets who know other kids on teams around the country.

Our division, the West, seems to all have pretty solid teams, outside of Breezy Point, who is taking this year off. It wouldn't surprise me if they do not come back.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• https://saveseawolfhockey.com/
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              I wonder if they are doing a Go Fund Me? Huntsville did and they raised $539,280.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• I personally believe that the UAA Athletic administration had it all along to discontinue hockey. It is a shame we were led to believe that the UAA Seawolf Sports Arena would be expanded, and that UAA intent was to keep hockey. I believe they were flat out lying and knew that hockey would not last. This was UAA's opportunity to drop all of the Division I sports. I hate to say it, but I commend UAF for committing to their sports program. And I commend them for keeping their Division I sports programs of hockey and Rifle. I have been very disappointed with the UAA Athletic director and the UAA Chancellor for their leadership. Even with UAA dropping hockey, skiing and gymnastics, they still will have to add one sport for the minimum of 10 sports. So, they add Soccer. This whole school is clown shoes and I just am ashamed of everything going on there. To think UAA of not having hockey program is just unfathomable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                  ...To think UAA of not having hockey program is just unfathomable.
                  Not to disrespect the underlying sentiment of your post, but if you had only used “inconceivable” this thread would have quickly gotten a little more entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post

Not to disrespect the underlying sentiment of your post, but if you had only used “inconceivable” this thread would have quickly gotten a little more entertaining.

Which sounds better?

Comment

Which sounds better?
                      "Inconceivable"

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        Okay, cool...well "inconceivable"... I am just very frustrated with my Alma Mater. In 1997, I thought by now, UAA would be division I in all sports, and have a football team...we are just going backwards, not forward! Yes, I know dreams...I respect North Dakota schools for their vision in cold climates with regards to athletics namely hockey and football.

Comment

• This is almost as entertaining as the mayor/tv anchor scandal in Anchorage. Melrose Place had nothing on this story. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ehtan-b...ested-details/

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            This is almost as entertaining as the mayor/tv anchor scandal in Anchorage. Melrose Place had nothing on this story. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ehtan-b...ested-details/
                            Your right! I agree, it is all clown shoes at UAA! So is this Mayor thing.

Comment

Okay, cool...well "inconceivable"... I am just very frustrated with my Alma Mater. In 1997, I thought by now, UAA would be division I in all sports, and have a football team...we are just going backwards, not forward! Yes, I know dreams...I respect North Dakota schools for their vision in cold climates with regards to athletics namely hockey and football.
                              The Flickertails canned womens hockey years ago.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                any word on how this is going? does not seem you can check on the balance of donations like with a gofundme-type setup.

there was a lot of hype when they were raising funds for UAH... it does not seem that there is any excitement around trying to save UAA hockey. am i wrong? i hope so...

and if that's the case... just watch matt curley apply for the job at UST;

https://www.startribune.com/st-thoma...ove/572642532/

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Working...
                                X