No announcement yet.

so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad day to be a Seawolves fan. Any word on UA-?

Comment

• It looks like UAA hockey will be finished after this coming season: https://goseawolves.com/news/2020/8/...-programs.aspx

Comment

• I believe we only have 10 sports so dropping hockey is not an option for UAF unless we drop athletics entirely. They'll probably try to hold on a while longer but dropping everything is probably not off the table.

Comment

• So sorry, Seawolves.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Statement from UAF
            Aug. 19, 2020
            Dear UAF community,
            Earlier today, UAA Chancellor Cathy Sandeen announced that UAA is recommending the discontinuation of three Division I sports: men’s hockey, men’s and women’s skiing, and women’s gymnastics. The recommendation will go to the UA Board of Regents for approval during its meeting Sept. 10-11, 2020.
            I want it to be clear for UAF student-athletes, parents, coaches, and the UAF and Fairbanks community that ourathletics programs are not part of this recommendation. UAF already has only10 sports, the minimum number allowed by the NCAA. As such, we haveno plans to eliminate any sports teams.
            In the coming months there will be many details to work out as we better understand how today’s announcement will affect UAF’s athletics competition in the future. I am confident that our Alaska Nanooks athletics program will continue to move forward in a positive direction and will remain an important part of our university and our community. As with all of UAF departments, our athletics programs are addressing budget cuts through both reductions and new revenues.
            I know the decision to recommend discontinuation of these athletics programs must have been very difficult for our colleagues at UAA. Multiple years of budget cuts have forced many difficult decisions to be made across the UA system, and none of these decisions are made lightly. UAF athletics staff will work with their counterparts in Anchorage to provide whatever support they can for the student-athletes affected by these changes.
            I look forward to welcoming our student-athletes back to campus and to resuming competition when it is safe to do so. I am also looking forward to seeing our many fans and community supporters when the time is right. I thank you for your continued support.
            — Dan White, UAF chancellor
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• UAA got me into college hockey. Though expected, this is one of the saddest days in recent memory for me.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Well, they’ll never get another dime from me again.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Well, all but loses my support for UAA as a whole. Very sad day indeed. Hopefully, UAF will keep hockey.

Comment

• I was privy to the press release today by UAF Chancellor Dan White (in regards to UAA's decision to drop three athletic teams, including hockey). As the Nanook Hockey Alumni president, I am also usually in-the-know pretty quickly about what's going on behind the scenes with UAF Program. First, UAF's administration has been very outspoken about its committment to the hockey program and the value of athletics in general. All other speculation about the program's potential demise is from people who are just guessing. Secondly, the Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly just voted to fund a new portable $1.3 million ice plant system to install at the Carlson Center so, Nanook Hockey games will remain there for the forseable future. Lastly, there is significant support from the UA hockey alumni and donors that are ready to do what ever it takes for the program to succeed for the long term. Yes, it is tough economical times in Alaska right now, but UAF Hockey will move forward and is taking the steps to create long term sustainability. I sincerely hope that their are enough friends of UAA hockey that are willing to roll up their sleeves and figure out a way to save their program. Maybe call your friends at Alabama Huntsville to see how they did it.

Comment

• What a lousy day for hockey.

RIP to a great program and the great crowds that used to come out to see them.

**** 2020 and **** the Alaskan government.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• For the record, I’m not going anywhere near UAF as a replacement. I hold them as a responsible party for UAA’s death.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          For the record, I’m not going anywhere near UAF as a replacement. I hold them as a responsible party for UAA’s death.
                          In what way?
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

In what way?
                            The UA system and their pet school UAF spent decades diverting funding away from UAA and got rid of anyone who challenged that (including one Chancellor at UAA). Make no mistake, TPTB at UA have never cared for hockey at UAA and they’re finally getting their wish.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              The UA system and their pet school UAF spent decades diverting funding away from UAA and got rid of anyone who challenged that (including one Chancellor at UAA). Make no mistake, TPTB at UA have never cared for hockey at UAA and they’re finally getting their wish.
                              Excellent. Years of embedding deep state UAF operatives under the guise of disinterested, complacent, redneck Seawolf hockey fans has finally paid off. I love it when a plan comes together.

TPTB = UAA Leadership, UAA Faculty Senate, Anchorage Hockey Community and Community at Large, and maybe even Obama (not sure, many have said so, should check it out).

So very Trump-esk.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post

Excellent. Years of embedding deep state UAF operatives under the guise of disinterested, complacent, redneck Seawolf hockey fans has finally paid off. I love it when a plan comes together.

TPTB = UAA Leadership, UAA Faculty Senate, Anchorage Hockey Community and Community at Large, and maybe even Obama (not sure, many have said so, should check it out).

So very Trump-esk.
                                First off: Don’t ever compare me to Trump idiots.

You do know why Elaine Maimon was forced out as Chancellor right?

Last month Elaine Maimon left UAA after two short years as its chancellor. Rumors persist that there was friction between her and UA president Mark Hamilton because she fought to get a more equitable slice of the university budget for its largest campus. Did she fight the good fight and decide to leave when she realized the deck at university headquarters was stacked against UAA?
                                https://www.alaskajournal.com/commun...-own-engineers

The UA Board of Regents and UAF are one and the same, they want UAA to be a funding collection point and nothing more. Why do you think the people who run UAA were hired? They do what they’re told.

The UA BOR and UAF have never liked that UAA has had the better athletics profile, they’ve always wanted rid of UAA hockey and they finally got their chance.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X