so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

I had the same reaction, especially seeing their arena only holds 800. But I suppose the travel subsidies they have to pay would be a charter bus for the other teams? But good for UST, wishing them the best.
    There are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas Alumni network, so I would guess funding for an acceptable arena will not be a problem.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I had the same reaction, especially seeing their arena only holds 800. But I suppose the travel subsidies they have to pay would be a charter bus for the other teams? But good for UST, wishing them the best.
      My initial reaction was along the lines of a school that nobody outside college hockey or the upper Midwest has heard of, perfect fit with the other 7.

Snarkiness aside, it’s probably a home run add for the new conference. It gets them visibility in a major market in the middle of their footprint that it otherwise would have lacked.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

There are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas Alumni network, so I would guess funding for an acceptable arena will not be a problem.
        Easily $40MM. Those are some deep pockets.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

True enough. I just thought it interesting how such a big deal was made of ASU needing to get an acceptably sized arena before they could join a conference. Maybe was a negotiating tactic to get travel subsidies from them???? But I do wish it would have worked out for ASU & WCHA as it would have been fun playing the Beavers & traveling to Bemidji, nice area.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Easily $40MM. Those are some deep pockets.

GFM
            It won't be a problem. The one thing I have learned is that the alumni of St. John's and St. Thomas here in Minnesota have never really had a problem throwing their money around to keep up with each other. Now that St. Thomas is going D-I, that will just invigorate that network.

FWIW, St. John's did not want to kick St. Thomas out of the MIAC.....
            Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

It won't be a problem. The one thing I have learned is that the alumni of St. John's and St. Thomas here in Minnesota have never really had a problem throwing their money around to keep up with each other. Now that St. Thomas is going D-I, that will just invigorate that network.
              Ah, so it's like $EC football donors!

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Ah, so it's like $EC football donors!

GFM
                Geof, on a smaller, D-III scale, but yes. And I think Tommie alums are going to do what they can to rub this in Johnnie Alums' faces. Just the nature of the rivalry between those two schools.
                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  In actual hockey related news, in a move that should surprise nobody who follows the program closely, Max Newton is getting the C for the Nanooks next season.
                  With UAS being taken over by ua_ and they have a rink in good codition maybe hockey will transfer there and be closer for the C- teams long brutal once a year road trip.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post

With UAS being taken over by ua_ and they have a rink in good codition maybe hockey will transfer there and be closer for the C- teams long brutal once a year road trip.
                    The whining and virtual screaming that would happen after one of them inevitably gets stuck in Sitka and has to take the ferry because JNU is fogged in would be worth it.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

True enough. I just thought it interesting how such a big deal was made of ASU needing to get an acceptably sized arena before they could join a conference. Maybe was a negotiating tactic to get travel subsidies from them???? But I do wish it would have worked out for ASU & WCHA as it would have been fun playing the Beavers & traveling to Bemidji, nice area.
                      I'd almost wager money that it was as much ASU not wanting the WCHA as it was the WCHA not wanting ASU. They explored it, and most likely came to a mutual agreement it just wasn't going to work. The only school close to ASU's profile was BGSU, and it was no secret BG wanted out.

If it wasn't mutual, ASU wouldn't be participating in the WCHA's supplemental discipline policy.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

I'd almost wager money that it was as much ASU not wanting the WCHA as it was the WCHA not wanting ASU. They explored it, and most likely came to a mutual agreement it just wasn't going to work. The only school close to ASU's profile was BGSU, and it was no secret BG wanted out.

If it wasn't mutual, ASU wouldn't be participating in the WCHA's supplemental discipline policy.
                        Not when you have 7 cup shakers wanting you to pay for their way out of the woods and back.
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

You are probably correct. If WCHA wanted ASU badly they likely would not have had the travel subsidy request. If ASU wanted to be in WCHA badly they would have agreed to make those payments. Regardless, I think everything is mutually respectful at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                            Their lack of solid footing was due to the falling gas prices and the severe economic problems of the state of Alaska and their university system. It is hard to run a league when you don't know from year to year that all of the programs will remain solvent. That is the real issue here.
                            BP just announced that they're slashing fossil fuel production, and ramping up low-carbon emission investments.

This type of strategy will 1) either create an increased demand for Alaska crude, and drive up the price or 2) scare the Alaska-based energy companies to follow suit. Here's hoping for the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                              BP just announced that they're slashing fossil fuel production, and ramping up low-carbon emission investments.

This type of strategy will 1) either create an increased demand for Alaska crude, and drive up the price or 2) scare the Alaska-based energy companies to follow suit. Here's hoping for the former.
                              I think you are right. But the increase in demand for Alaska crude still faces competition from shale and a generational move away from fossil fuel. My guess is for a short term increase in demand but nothing like the good old days.

What Alaska needs is a more diverse economy relying less on oil and gas.

Comment

• Originally posted by elbojpb View Post

Being oil is a commodity, Alaska oil price, including shipping costs, would have to decrease against other oil sources for demand for it to increase. The Alaska based energy companies will jump right in to take over the share BP abandons (sells) as BP will lower the assets price to make it look attractive. That may help lower the prices and increase demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X