so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockey John View Post

Their lack of solid footing was due to the falling gas prices and the severe economic problems of the state of Alaska and their university system. It is hard to run a league when you don't know from year to year that all of the programs will remain solvent. That is the real issue here.
    Inflation adjusted oil pricing today is roughly the same as 1970, and has fluctuated up and down ever since, hitting a high of $160/bbl and a low of $20/bbl, so its not clear to me that is a major cause. Being the Nanooks have had a team since the 1920's and the Seawolves since the early 70's, if I got that straight, seems like they weathered it ok in the past? Being that there are typically several variables that create an outcome, I suspect them paying travel subsidies did not help them out any. It may not be a major cause but likely contributed? If the state spend too much money elsewhere for the tax revenue stream it has, it certainly could affect school funding.
    Last edited by Sol Diablo; 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

Seems like some of this could have been done by all WCHA members. The same could have been done by the other WCHA members on their trips to Alaska to help reduce their costs. Just saying....
      No one wants to play home games Thur/Fri or Sat/Sun very often. It would have a huge negative impact on attendance and ticket revenue. Anything reasonable that can be suggested here has very likely been explored long ago. Replacing a Saturday gate with Thursday, or replacing Friday money with Sunday, especially during the NFL season makes very little sense.
      Last edited by davyd83; 06-29-2020, 03:19 PM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

No one wants to play home games Thur/Fri or Sat/Sun very often. It would have a huge negative impact on attendance and ticket revenue. Anything reasonable that can be suggested here has very likely been explored long ago. Replacing a Saturday gate with Thursday, or replacing Friday money with Sunday, especially during the NFL season makes very little sense.
        I think you are correct on all points.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

I think there's some confusion because Nazzarett wasn't included in the recently announced 2020-21 incoming class. As noted, he was a mid-season addition during 2019-20 so he wouldn't show up in the 2020-21 announcements. I don't think it means he left the program, although I could be wrong.
          He is actually listed on the UAA roster. https://goseawolves.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster

I'm assuming he signed his LOI in order for the school to list him on their roster. Did the rules change so a player can de-comit and still play for another school without sitting out a season?
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• There are conditions where a transfer can play immediately. I know grad transfers can if the school they’re leaving doesn’t offer the program they are pursuing. I’m sure there are other conditions as well...

Glad he’ll be back,I enjoyed watching him play last year
            Last edited by Scrum Bucket; 06-30-2020, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
              There are conditions where a transfer can play immediately. I know grad transfers can if the school they’re leaving doesn’t offer the program they are pursuing. I’m sure there are other conditions as well...

Glad he’ll be back,I enjoyed watching him play last year
              My understanding is the student must meet one of these to play immediately:
              1) student’s sport was dropped at current school.
              2) student has completed an undergrad degree with eligibility remaining
              3) student has signed LOI, hasn’t played, asks and receives permission from the school to withdraw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

For perspective, although the other WCHA teams made 2 trips to Alaska, the Alaska teams were making 10+/- trips to the Midwest. I wonder if the lack of solid footing was at all related to paying travel subsidies?
                You are learning quickly, young padawan!
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• In actual hockey related news, in a move that should surprise nobody who follows the program closely, Max Newton is getting the C for the Nanooks next season.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Can someone who is a member of the UAA booster club message me please?

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      In actual hockey related news, in a move that should surprise nobody who follows the program closely, Max Newton is getting the C for the Nanooks next season.
                      Terrific player. Terrific kid. It’s easy to see how he was chosen.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• GNAC/Great Northwest Athletic Conference suspends all sports through November 30th. Decision will be looked at on October 15th. Talk of moving some sports to spring..No Alaska Nanook volleyball, cross country run and start of the mens and womens basketball seasons. Is not looking good overall...GNAC covers Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and BC Canada(Simon Fraser--they are looking to change their nick name currently known as the Clan-Scottish)

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                          GNAC/Great Northwest Athletic Conference suspends all sports through November 30th. Decision will be looked at on October 15th. Talk of moving some sports to spring..No Alaska Nanook volleyball, cross country run and start of the mens and womens basketball seasons. Is not looking good overall...GNAC covers Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and BC Canada(Simon Fraser--they are looking to change their nick name currently known as the Clan-Scottish)
                          Gnac is trying the hick move the c- league did (future home of the d3 allstars ) and wanting to kickout UAA UA_ and Simon Frasier.
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• High school football practices are suppose to officially start Wednesday July 29th. First games for the 28 schools statewide in Alaska are scheduled for the week of August 15th...The Kenai Borough School District halted ALL off-season workouts and usage of facilities last night because of the COVID 19. That means one of the top teams in the state and in the country, the Soldotna Stars, their season is on hold until further notice...There is talk of the Alaska short eight week regular season and two to three weeks of post season play being pushed back at least a week, if they play at all....
                            Last edited by fairbanks hockey puck; 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• "As we set our sights on the CCHA's first season in 2021-22, we are excited to be adding one of NCAA Division I's newest members and proud to be part of the growth of college hockey."

This quote from the CCHA press release about St. Thomas kind of gave me a chuckle. One step forward, three steps back.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                "As we set our sights on the CCHA's first season in 2021-22, we are excited to be adding one of NCAA Division I's newest members and proud to be part of the growth of college hockey."

This quote from the CCHA press release about St. Thomas kind of gave me a chuckle. One step forward, three steps back.
                                I had the same reaction, especially seeing their arena only holds 800. But I suppose the travel subsidies they have to pay would be a charter bus for the other teams? But good for UST, wishing them the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X