so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malainse View Post
    I don't understand why this needs to be explained - both programs are dead, this is likely the last season.
    Wow, you must have some inside knowledge!
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

The end game for UAF/A is going to be a true western league, and that’s more of a 5 year plan. COVID slammed the brakes on any near-term resolution to that issue. Without that, honestly, I’m not sure what the point is. Most of the rest of college hockey has made it abundantly clear they aren’t interested in Alaska (or western teams in general).

As for CCHA teams, I could maybe see Tech, NMU and Mankato occasionally scheduling the Alaska teams. Ferris and LSSU are too poor to make the trip without us paying for it, and the general feeling around our parts is that BG/Bemidji can go jump in a Great Lake.

The scheduling will be interesting. I’m guessing the Governors Cup will go to at least 6 if not 8 games a season. We have a scheduling agreement with ASU, so that’s 10 (or 12 if we play them 4 times). If Huntsville continues to exist they’ll be on the schedule probably 4 games if they’re independent. We always have one or two NCHC teams scheduled anyway, so that gets to about 18 or 20 games. That’s assuming UAA and UAH continue to exist.
      Why is BG & Bemidji disliked, if you wish to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

Why is BG & Bemidji disliked, if you wish to elaborate?
        Their not your buddies either.............. You got played and the bus people went for the dream bus ride to town with the D-3 Allstars.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post

Their not your buddies either.............. You got played and the bus people went for the dream bus ride to town with the D-3 Allstars.
          I can think of a dozen plus D3 programs that would pose big problems for either of the Alaska teams on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post

Were they the WCHA teams pushing the hardest on travel subsidies on top of PAC12 television payments?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

I can think of a dozen plus D3 programs that would pose big problems for either of the Alaska teams on the ice.
              Maybe so, I do not follow D3 hockey at all. So what you are saying is that there are a dozen + D3 programs that if they played in the WCHA they would compete for home ice in the playoffs. That they would knock BGSU, MTU, LSSU, and FSU even further down standings. I applaud them.
              Last edited by mmf; 06-27-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

Who are the other 4?
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Were they the WCHA teams pushing the hardest on PAC12 television payments?
                  How about the low down on this sleezy cup shaker.

Comment

Were they the WCHA teams pushing the hardest on travel subsidies on top of PAC12 television payments?
                    Wait, hol' up a minute?!? WCHA teams asked for travel subsidies AND PAC12 TV payments?

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Has anyone talked about the Alaska schools doing 4 game air flights and playing schools semi nearby to a major airport. Players doing school online for a week. Play Sun-Mon at one place then Thurs-Fri at the next. Maybe a school with excess housing could work a deal out for housing and do 6 games in early January when most students are away from campus. Just for Geography sake. Fly into Detroit, stay at UM or State and hit two games at 3 schools in semi quick succession.

Comment

• Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                        Has anyone talked about the Alaska schools doing 4 game air flights and playing schools semi nearby to a major airport. Players doing school online for a week. Play Sun-Mon at one place then Thurs-Fri at the next. Maybe a school with excess housing could work a deal out for housing and do 6 games in early January when most students are away from campus. Just for Geography sake. Fly into Detroit, stay at UM or State and hit two games at 3 schools in semi quick succession.
                        THE ALASKA SCHOOLS DON"T HAVE A TRAVEL PROBLEM it is the Crying Crybaby's Hockey League future members Home of the D 3 Allstars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post

THE ALASKA SCHOOLS DON"T HAVE A TRAVEL PROBLEM it is the Crying Crybaby's Hockey League future members Home of the D 3 Allstars.
                          Travelling to ONE Alaska school wasn't a problem. The problem was two trips to Alaska a year, combined with the consistent "will they/won't they" have a team next season. UAH got left out because they hadn't put the program on solid footing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

Travelling to ONE Alaska school wasn't a problem. The problem was two trips to Alaska a year, combined with the consistent "will they/won't they" have a team next season. UAH got left out because they hadn't put the program on solid footing.
                            For perspective, although the other WCHA teams made 2 trips to Alaska, the Alaska teams were making 10+/- trips to the Midwest. I wonder if the lack of solid footing was at all related to paying travel subsidies?

Comment

• Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                              Has anyone talked about the Alaska schools doing 4 game air flights and playing schools semi nearby to a major airport. Players doing school online for a week. Play Sun-Mon at one place then Thurs-Fri at the next. Maybe a school with excess housing could work a deal out for housing and do 6 games in early January when most students are away from campus. Just for Geography sake. Fly into Detroit, stay at UM or State and hit two games at 3 schools in semi quick succession.
                              Seems like some of this could have been done by all WCHA members. The same could have been done by the other WCHA members on their trips to Alaska to help reduce their costs. Just saying....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

For perspective, although the other WCHA teams made 2 trips to Alaska, the Alaska teams were making 10+/- trips to the Midwest. I wonder if the lack of solid footing was at all related to paying travel subsidies?
                                Their lack of solid footing was due to the falling gas prices and the severe economic problems of the state of Alaska and their university system. It is hard to run a league when you don't know from year to year that all of the programs will remain solvent. That is the real issue here.

Comment

Working...
                                X