Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    Alaska - Alabama So similar. Easy to confuse! Thanks for setting me straight.
    Truly funny! made this Seawolf fan laugh out loud.

Comment

Governor Dumbass somehow managed to find a solution worse than the 14 day quarantine by replacing it with a required COVID test within 72 hours of departure to Alaska. Good luck getting a test when you have no symptoms.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Governor Dumbass somehow managed to find a solution worse than the 14 day quarantine by replacing it with a required COVID test within 72 hours of departure to Alaska. Good luck getting a test when you have no symptoms.
        Exactly. It's confusing, because (although I didn't actually hear him say it) the ADN quoted him as saying you could choose the test OR the 2 week quarantine. We should learn more tonight.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

UA President Johnson off to Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            UA President Johnson off to Wisconsin.
            I am so happy for us.

A Great Day To Be Seawolf.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              I am so happy for us.

A Great Day To Be Seawolf.
              Don’t kid yourself. This is not good news for the University system, athletics, nor UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                Don’t kid yourself. This is not good news for the University system, athletics, nor UAA.
                From my seat in the upper balcony it never looked like Johnson was a friend to UAA.
                Can you flesh out why his leaving is bad for the system, athletics nor UAA?

Comment

Johnsen never supported athletics at either campus. In his entire tenure I never saw him at any games in either city. If he had his way athletics would have ceased to exist in 2015/16. The only reason Nanooks and Seawolves still exist after the Strategic Pathways follies is because of community outcry and the Regents telling him to pound sand on the issue.

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                  From my seat in the upper balcony it never looked like Johnson was a friend to UAA.
                  Can you flesh out why his leaving is bad for the system, athletics nor UAA?
                  He’s not going to be missed by many at any of the campuses, but the timing of his presumed departure stinks. Can’t wait to see who the interim is going to be. They might as well keep an interim around until Dunleavy is out of the governors mansion.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

The really really really bad news is we may bad mouth him into not getting hired.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I thought Johnsen was rather neutral on athletics. Not much of a supporter but not anti-athletics either. Which is probably where he should stand. Academics is and should be the main focus, notwithstanding that both the UAA and UAF Senate Faculty are understandably self-serving groups often with disingenuous comments. Johnsen understandably had to placate those two groups.

A new President will face even more pressure to appease those groups even to get hired. They do not support athletics at all. They’d be happy to shut it all down. For a new President in a tough spot not familiar with the political landscape athletics would be fairly low hanging fruit, especially if our premier sport has no conference, or if COVID-19 causes cancellation of other seasons as well (although COVID may be long gone before we get around to filling the position). Budget cuts and faculty support all in one action. Win,win.

We’ll have an interim for sure and probably end up settling for a permanent in-house hire for various reasons, and none of them good. I have little confidence in the BOR showing any kind of strong leadership. I have no real connection to U so this is just my opinion. From my experience working in/with bureaucracies, and knowing a little about the U’s in-fighting, there is a lot to read between the lines here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                        The really really really bad news is we may bad mouth him into not getting hired.
                        Well this was foretelling.

“Wisconsin group seeks to remove UA's Johnsen as candidate for university president”

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/wisconsin-group-seeks-to-remove-uas-johnsen-as-candidate-for-university-president/article_59dafb1e-a5de-11ea-9970-af1e642b8689.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Comment

“Wisconsin group seeks to remove UA's Johnsen as candidate for university president”

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_..._medium=social
                          Quoted to add tags.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_..._medium=social
                            Dang, I can't read it without a subscription. Incognito doesn't work with the news miner.
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              Dang, I can't read it without a subscription. Incognito doesn't work with the news miner.
                              The Wisconsin chapter of the American Association of University Professors has asked for the University of Alaska president to be removed as a candidate for president of the University of Wisconsin.

A Tuesday statement from the AAUP reads: “AAUP Wisconsin expresses its strong opposition to the selection of University of Alaska System President Jim Johnsen as the sole finalist for the position of UW system president. The faculty at both the Anchorage and Fairbanks campuses of the Alaska system voted no confidence in Johnsen’s leadership in 2017, and the Anchorage faculty called on their board to suspend Johnsen in 2019.”

Johnsen has been UA president since 2015.

In 2017, the University of Alaska Fairbanks Faculty Senate, when voting no confidence in Johnsen, cited a desire to be included in decisions made for the university. The University of Alaska Anchorage’s call for suspension was spurred from concerns that an administrative consolidation and expedited academic review violated Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities standards.

The Wisconsin AAUP noted that these are disqualifying attributes in any candidate, adding that it opposes Johnsen’s candidacy in the “strongest possible terms."

“The problems here are compounded by the search committee’s decision to name Johnsen as the sole finalist. This is a departure from accepted academic standards. It suggests either a weak candidate pool or a fixed search,” the statement reads.

“The regents chose to pursue an unprecedented search process that excluded faculty, staff, and non-regent students. This is its predictably egregious result," it reads.

Instead, the organization asked the Wisconsin Board of Regents to remove Johnsen’s candidacy and declare a failed search.

The full statement is available here.

In response to a request for comment, UA spokeswoman Robbie Graham provided the following statement:

"President Johnsen will meet with the University of Wisconsin staff, faculty and community next week and is looking forward to engaging with them on all topics," she wrote.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct that Johnsen will not be traveling to Wisconsin. He will be meeting with members of the University of Wisconsin community through online means.

Comment

The Wisconsin chapter of the American Association of University Professors has asked for the University of Alaska president to be removed as a candidate for president of the University of Wisconsin.

A Tuesday statement from the AAUP reads: “AAUP Wisconsin expresses its strong opposition to the selection of University of Alaska System President Jim Johnsen as the sole finalist for the position of UW system president. The faculty at both the Anchorage and Fairbanks campuses of the Alaska system voted no confidence in Johnsen’s leadership in 2017, and the Anchorage faculty called on their board to suspend Johnsen in 2019.”

Johnsen has been UA president since 2015.

In 2017, the University of Alaska Fairbanks Faculty Senate, when voting no confidence in Johnsen, cited a desire to be included in decisions made for the university. The University of Alaska Anchorage’s call for suspension was spurred from concerns that an administrative consolidation and expedited academic review violated Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities standards.

The Wisconsin AAUP noted that these are disqualifying attributes in any candidate, adding that it opposes Johnsen’s candidacy in the “strongest possible terms."

“The problems here are compounded by the search committee’s decision to name Johnsen as the sole finalist. This is a departure from accepted academic standards. It suggests either a weak candidate pool or a fixed search,” the statement reads.

“The regents chose to pursue an unprecedented search process that excluded faculty, staff, and non-regent students. This is its predictably egregious result," it reads.

Instead, the organization asked the Wisconsin Board of Regents to remove Johnsen’s candidacy and declare a failed search.

The full statement is available here.

In response to a request for comment, UA spokeswoman Robbie Graham provided the following statement:

"President Johnsen will meet with the University of Wisconsin staff, faculty and community next week and is looking forward to engaging with them on all topics," she wrote.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct that Johnsen will not be traveling to Wisconsin. He will be meeting with members of the University of Wisconsin community through online means.
                                Thank you!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X