Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    https://goseawolves.com/news/2020/6/...orxenxTsUuEV-k
    UAA hockey announces incoming class. Absent from the list are Nazzarett and Hillebrand. But there is a new player listed, Muschitiello. At least for now, most of the recruits are still coming, which is good news for UAA. Gutierez is listed on Chris Heisenbergs site as a 2021 recruit.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

    Comment


    • #77
      Well now it looks like we're stuck with Johnsen again.
      Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Well now it looks like we're stuck with Johnsen again.
        No we won't:
        University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen will resign from the University of Alaska on July 1.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Suze View Post
          https://goseawolves.com/news/2020/6/...orxenxTsUuEV-k
          UAA hockey announces incoming class. Absent from the list are Nazzarett and Hillebrand. But there is a new player listed, Muschitiello. At least for now, most of the recruits are still coming, which is good news for UAA. Gutierez is listed on Chris Heisenbergs site as a 2021 recruit.
          Nazarett seemed to show up out of nowhere and make an impact, sad to see him go, he was a small guy, but with good skating and offensive skills...

          Comment


          • #80
            Any thoughts from the informed folks on this board on what happens with the UA teams in 21-22? Assuming the WCHA folds, is there hope for them to survive? Do they consolidate into a single Independent? Or does the University just shut it all down? It makes me sad to think that college hockey in Alaska may die.....

            On an slightly related topic, have any of you listened to Reid MacDonald's podcast, Dump and Change? Some great interviews, IMO with some Alaska hockey greats....Gomer, Pete Maceneney(sp), etc. (listener beware for language and some inappropriate content )

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post

              Nazarett seemed to show up out of nowhere and make an impact, sad to see him go, he was a small guy, but with good skating and offensive skills...
              I think there's some confusion because Nazzarett wasn't included in the recently announced 2020-21 incoming class. As noted, he was a mid-season addition during 2019-20 so he wouldn't show up in the 2020-21 announcements. I don't think it means he left the program, although I could be wrong.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

                I think there's some confusion because Nazzarett wasn't included in the recently announced 2020-21 incoming class. As noted, he was a mid-season addition during 2019-20 so he wouldn't show up in the 2020-21 announcements. I don't think it means he left the program, although I could be wrong.
                Looks like he’s heading to Miami, according to Elite Prospects.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                  Any thoughts from the informed folks on this board on what happens with the UA teams in 21-22?
                  I think UAA/UAF hockey can survive for a limited time (maybe a couple more seasons) without a conference, assuming they have funding available. The AK schools have the exemption advantage which would appeal to schools making occasional trips. I could even see some of the CCHA teams scheduling games up there, just not every season.

                  However will it be enough home games to keep two AK schools above water? Hard to say. Or maybe AK being on the road all the time is actually less expensive than what they shell out now to the WCHA visiting teams? UAF seems to be the stronger program but Anchorage is the easier travel destination if it eventually comes down to there only being enough money in the state budget for one school to maintain a team, or athletics as a whole.

                  Conferences staying with odd numbers of teams would also really help the AK schools because that means there is someone looking for games pretty much every weekend all year long. However with an even number of members, the number of teams looking for games after October would go way down.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    I think UAA/UAF hockey can survive for a limited time (maybe a couple more seasons) without a conference, assuming they have funding available. The AK schools have the exemption advantage which would appeal to schools making occasional trips. I could even see some of the CCHA teams scheduling games up there, just not every season.

                    However will it be enough home games to keep two AK schools above water? Hard to say. Or maybe AK being on the road all the time is actually less expensive than what they shell out now to the WCHA visiting teams? UAF seems to be the stronger program but Anchorage is the easier travel destination if it eventually comes down to there only being enough money in the state budget for one school to maintain a team, or athletics as a whole.

                    Conferences staying with odd numbers of teams would also really help the AK schools because that means there is someone looking for games pretty much every weekend all year long. However with an even number of members, the number of teams looking for games after October would go way down.
                    Great questions & analysis! Hopefully all goes well to get them back to a more stable long term position.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Carlson Center or Patty Center Ice Arena on campus???? If there is a season this year, where will the Nooks play. Everyone says the Carlson, but the Carlson has been designated as an emergency covid 19 shelter through the end of September. Could that be extended...Budgets..what is the number...it changes daily I bet. On campus certainly not ideal, but would save school $250,000 annually...UAA plays on campus. Not ideal...Interim Prez and regents..we are probably locked in for this season, but after that who knows the future of hockey and athletics in general...Nooks looking for ski, swim and rifle coaches..may have them in place by next week...

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                        Carlson Center or Patty Center Ice Arena on campus???? If there is a season this year, where will the Nooks play. Everyone says the Carlson, but the Carlson has been designated as an emergency covid 19 shelter through the end of September. Could that be extended...Budgets..what is the number...it changes daily I bet. On campus certainly not ideal, but would save school $250,000 annually...UAA plays on campus. Not ideal...Interim Prez and regents..we are probably locked in for this season, but after that who knows the future of hockey and athletics in general...Nooks looking for ski, swim and rifle coaches..may have them in place by next week...
                        Patty vs Carlson is a catch-22. The savings of the Patty will probably be necessary to keep the program afloat, but no future conference is going to look at us without the Carlson (or a remodeled and expanded Patty).
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

                        —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          I think UAA/UAF hockey can survive for a limited time (maybe a couple more seasons) without a conference, assuming they have funding available. The AK schools have the exemption advantage which would appeal to schools making occasional trips. I could even see some of the CCHA teams scheduling games up there, just not every season.

                          However will it be enough home games to keep two AK schools above water? Hard to say. Or maybe AK being on the road all the time is actually less expensive than what they shell out now to the WCHA visiting teams? UAF seems to be the stronger program but Anchorage is the easier travel destination if it eventually comes down to there only being enough money in the state budget for one school to maintain a team, or athletics as a whole.

                          Conferences staying with odd numbers of teams would also really help the AK schools because that means there is someone looking for games pretty much every weekend all year long. However with an even number of members, the number of teams looking for games after October would go way down.
                          The end game for UAF/A is going to be a true western league, and that’s more of a 5 year plan. COVID slammed the brakes on any near-term resolution to that issue. Without that, honestly, I’m not sure what the point is. Most of the rest of college hockey has made it abundantly clear they aren’t interested in Alaska (or western teams in general).

                          As for CCHA teams, I could maybe see Tech, NMU and Mankato occasionally scheduling the Alaska teams. Ferris and LSSU are too poor to make the trip without us paying for it, and the general feeling around our parts is that BG/Bemidji can go jump in a Great Lake.

                          The scheduling will be interesting. I’m guessing the Governors Cup will go to at least 6 if not 8 games a season. We have a scheduling agreement with ASU, so that’s 10 (or 12 if we play them 4 times). If Huntsville continues to exist they’ll be on the schedule probably 4 games if they’re independent. We always have one or two NCHC teams scheduled anyway, so that gets to about 18 or 20 games. That’s assuming UAA and UAH continue to exist.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

                          —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            I don't understand why this needs to be explained - both programs are dead, this is likely the last season.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by malainse View Post
                              I don't understand why this needs to be explained - both programs are dead, this is likely the last season.
                              It doesn't need to be explained. Some of us enjoy these mental exercises.

                              I would love to see all the UA_ schools survive and thrive. As with any school, until their funding, public health, and leadership get straightened out, no program is safe.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                It's easy to automatically group UAF with UAA and UAH, but please don't group the strentgh of their programs' together. No disrespect intendend to UAA or UAH, but UAF's program has been a far stronger program over the years. The Nanooks finished in 4th place in the WCHA last year, was in the top 30 in Pairwise for most of last season and has NEVER missed the WCHA playoffs. UAF is also far more supported by the UAF administration, alumni, fans, community than UAA's right now. No comparison really. UAA moved their games back on campus with the supposed plan to expand their on-campus facility. As of now, there has been zero plan in place to expand their on campus facility. Not even talked about. In first hand conversations, the UAF administration has been very vocal about the importance of Nanook hockey to the Fairbanks community and their support of the program's future. Yes, tough times fiscally right now for the state, but Coach Largen, Vice Chancellor/AD Keith Champaign, Assist. AD Terlyn Owens, the Nanook Hockey Alumni and Booster Club is working very hard behnd the scenes to create a model for long term sustainability for the program. In fact, a previously discussed move to the Patty Center move is outdated news as the Carlson Center Ice plant is getting help. The Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly has recently put a new Carlson Center Portable Ice plant system as a top priority for this fiscal year. This would assure the Carlson Center will have ice for the future and the new ice plant system system would use far less utilities to operate. There is also a good chance that the Borough will take over the management of the Carlson Center in 2021 and UAF will be in a great position to renegotiate a much better financial arrangement with the Borough, and thus assisting with longterm sustainability issue moving forward.
                                That all being said, UAF, UAA and UAH will be without a conference next season and will need to work together for a sustainable future. In fact, there is a scheduling alliance ciruclating to all current independent schools (UAF, UAA, UAH, ASU) about forming an alliance that could be looked at as a loose conference affliation amongst independents. Lindenwood (Mo) University is also seriously looikng at moving their stong ACHA club program to D-1 soon and could be a perfect travel partner for UAH (only 6 hours away). With one more team then making the jump to NCAA, you would have a new 6-team D-1 conferenece. Tough times right now for sure, but there is reason for hope down the road. Patience is the key.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X