Clear All

• AKSWF
    replied
    https://saveseawolfhockey.com/

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

I hope that your owner is quality. I've read some horror shows about NA3 hockey.

GFM
    Our ownership family seems to be on the up and up. They own another NA3 team plus a NAHL team. But yes, there are some horror stories out there. I have heard a few from our billets who know other kids on teams around the country.

Our division, the West, seems to all have pretty solid teams, outside of Breezy Point, who is taking this year off. It wouldn't surprise me if they do not come back.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied
    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I did state that they were pay to play. I do believe there is a limit on the amount of fees they can charge, and looking at attendance of some teams, I would guess they are maxing that out to the limit already to make ends meet, pre-COVID. And the fees are not the same all across the board for all players. If there is a stud that is considering your team, a reduction in the fees may be in order to try and reel him in.

Also, I think teams are carrying more players this year. One reason may be for more revenue (fees collected), the other is to offer a little more depth just in case. I know our team's roster is currently at 31, they usually carry 24 or 25.
    I hope that your owner is quality. I've read some horror shows about NA3 hockey.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

But isn't the NA3HL a pay-to-play league? They can just up the fees to make up for the lost revenue.

GFM
    I did state that they were pay to play. I do believe there is a limit on the amount of fees they can charge, and looking at attendance of some teams, I would guess they are maxing that out to the limit already to make ends meet, pre-COVID. And the fees are not the same all across the board for all players. If there is a stud that is considering your team, a reduction in the fees may be in order to try and reel him in.

Also, I think teams are carrying more players this year. One reason may be for more revenue (fees collected), the other is to offer a little more depth just in case. I know our team's roster is currently at 31, they usually carry 24 or 25.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied
    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

The NA3HL is moving forward as we billet for our local team (our boys arrived on Sunday, other teams in our division have a week of practice in already). But then again, the league is a pay to play league, so some of the expenses are covered there. They are also staying within their division, so our local team will be playing the other four teams 10 times this season, plus three games at the NA3HL Showcase in December in Blaine, MN.

As for attendance, our team told us the other day it will land somewhere between 250 and 500 (our rink can sit 1500 comfortably) and masks will have to be worn by the spectators. No ticket window, all ticketing will be presale online on a first come, first serve basis. Luckily we billet, so we get seats as part of our billeting fees. I have heard that is how the other teams in our division are going to handle it as well, so road trips to support our boys will no longer be a night before decision.
    But isn't the NA3HL a pay-to-play league? They can just up the fees to make up for the lost revenue.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post

I can't imagine any minor or junior hockey leagues playing any significant games until they can be assured that they can have fannies in the seats. There's no way any of them can avoid hemorrhaging cash without ticket revenue. I'm assuming that at some point the AHL, ECHL, NAHL, etc will announce no games until gathering restrictions are lifted... unless the NHL would like to pony up some cash to keep their prospects active in some manner.
    The NA3HL is moving forward as we billet for our local team (our boys arrived on Sunday, other teams in our division have a week of practice in already). But then again, the league is a pay to play league, so some of the expenses are covered there. They are also staying within their division, so our local team will be playing the other four teams 10 times this season, plus three games at the NA3HL Showcase in December in Blaine, MN.

As for attendance, our team told us the other day it will land somewhere between 250 and 500 (our rink can sit 1500 comfortably) and masks will have to be worn by the spectators. No ticket window, all ticketing will be presale online on a first come, first serve basis. Luckily we billet, so we get seats as part of our billeting fees. I have heard that is how the other teams in our division are going to handle it as well, so road trips to support our boys will no longer be a night before decision.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFan86-87
    replied
    Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    for what it's worth....And you can add to the list the Jamestown Rebels. The North American Hockey League team has opted not to play this season because of Covid 19 concerns. Currently, the State of New York does not allow for scrimmages or games to played in the sport of ice hockey, which has been placed in the ‘high risk’ category by the Governor.
    The Springfield Junior Blues, the Corpus Christi Ice Rays and Kansas City Scouts have also suspended operations until the 2021-22 season. The NAHL is home to both the Fairbanks Ice Dogs and the Kenai River Brown Bears. Both Alaska teams will base out of Minnesota and play the first part of the season in the lower 48. The league has yet to release the 2020-21 schedule.
    I can't imagine any minor or junior hockey leagues playing any significant games until they can be assured that they can have fannies in the seats. There's no way any of them can avoid hemorrhaging cash without ticket revenue. I'm assuming that at some point the AHL, ECHL, NAHL, etc will announce no games until gathering restrictions are lifted... unless the NHL would like to pony up some cash to keep their prospects active in some manner.

Leave a comment:

• fairbanks hockey puck
    replied
    for what it's worth....And you can add to the list the Jamestown Rebels. The North American Hockey League team has opted not to play this season because of Covid 19 concerns. Currently, the State of New York does not allow for scrimmages or games to played in the sport of ice hockey, which has been placed in the ‘high risk’ category by the Governor.
    The Springfield Junior Blues, the Corpus Christi Ice Rays and Kansas City Scouts have also suspended operations until the 2021-22 season. The NAHL is home to both the Fairbanks Ice Dogs and the Kenai River Brown Bears. Both Alaska teams will base out of Minnesota and play the first part of the season in the lower 48. The league has yet to release the 2020-21 schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

Dunleavy will skirt responsibility on this like he does everything else up there (his handpicked AG sexually harassing an employee, for example) but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to connect the dots...he killed UAA hockey with his budget cuts. I hope your alums and anybody else in the Anchorage community remember this when he runs for senate against Lisa in two years.
    Given the mind numbing stupidity of Republican boosters I doubt any of them will remember.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Maybe the alumni who fundraised for Dunleavy can ask him for a quid pro quo? Or maybe the players and their families who fundraised for him? The Boosters who consistently fundraise for Republicans?
    Dunleavy will skirt responsibility on this like he does everything else up there (his handpicked AG sexually harassing an employee, for example) but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to connect the dots...he killed UAA hockey with his budget cuts. I hope your alums and anybody else in the Anchorage community remember this when he runs for senate against Lisa in two years.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Alaska1986 View Post
    So UAA hockey has to fund raise 1.4m in cash, and 1.4m in firm pledges, in 6 months. Yea, pretty much a done deal. Especially if Gymnastics and skiing have smaller amounts and stand a chance to actually get the funding.
    Maybe the alumni who fundraised for Dunleavy can ask him for a quid pro quo? Or maybe the players and their families who fundraised for him? The Boosters who consistently fundraise for Republicans?

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Brutal news today!
    Taking care of _airbanks a degree and team at a time...... "100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress"
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 09-10-2020, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska1986
    replied
    So UAA hockey has to fund raise 1.4m in cash, and 1.4m in firm pledges, in 6 months. Yea, pretty much a done deal. Especially if Gymnastics and skiing have smaller amounts and stand a chance to actually get the funding.

Leave a comment:

• UAFIceAngel
    replied
    Brutal news today!

Leave a comment:

• Alaska1986
    replied
    https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...orts-programs/

The University of Alaska Board of Regents has approved cuts to several UA sports programs, to take effect during the next fiscal year, unless teams can raise money to cover costs.

The alternative proposal presented at the board meeting was to approve elimination of gymnastics, hockey and alpine skiing — effective fiscal year 2021-22 — and applying specifically to the University of Alaska Anchorage. In addition, the board would give supporters of those sports the opportunity to raise two years worth of expenses by February 2021 for reinstatement.

The Nordic skiing team may continue to solicit private support.

As approved by the regents, the changes will go into effect for the 2021-22 sports seasons. The cuts are expected to save the university system about $2.5 million annually.

The meeting itself, which included reports from the president, chancellors and governance, is ongoing. Along with a financial briefing and discussion of the university’s budget and UAA athletics, the full board is considering several action items. You can view the meeting live online.

An executive session will follow on Thursday evening, and on Friday, the board will hear committee reports, receive a Title IX update, and consider additional action items.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X