so...AK/UAA...COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    First off: Don’t ever compare me to Trump idiots.

You do know why Elaine Maimon was forced out as Chancellor right?

https://www.alaskajournal.com/commun...-own-engineers

The UA Board of Regents and UAF are one and the same, they want UAA to be a funding collection point and nothing more. Why do you think the people who run UAA were hired? They do what they’re told.

The UA BOR and UAF have never liked that UAA has had the better athletics profile, they’ve always wanted rid of UAA hockey and they finally got their chance.
    The current BOR president is from Eagle River, and it’s not much of a secret that the next system president is probably going to be someone from Anchorage, assuming they can even find somebody to take over that hot turd as long as Tall Brother is sitting in Juneau with his Sling Blade grin.

And you are way...way...off base if you think anybody at or associated with UAF wanted UAA to kill hockey.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

The current BOR president is from Eagle River, and it’s not much of a secret that the next system president is probably going to be someone from Anchorage, assuming they can even find somebody to take over that hot turd as long as Tall Brother is sitting in Juneau with his Sling Blade grin.

And you are way...way...off base if you think anybody at or associated with UAF wanted UAA to kill hockey.
      If you think there’s nobody at UAF or the UA administration who want UAA hockey gone you’re very naive. Heck, there’s people in both who want athletics gone entirely.

Now, do I think UAF is entirely at fault? Absolutely not. There’s a laundry list of people responsible and it starts with a lot of dumb people who ran UAA. But, to think that UAF and the UA BOR with their budgeting philosophy of “UAA gets the students, UAF gets the funding” didn’t have an impact on this decision is foolish.

And I’m not talking about any current iteration of the BOR or UAF or even UAA really. This is just the final result of 20+ years of total mismanagement at all levels including the BOR, the UA admin, UAF, and UAA.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by NookAlum View Post
        Maybe call your friends at Alabama Huntsville to see how they did it.
        Soo funny to spout that crap from the village .........you need to quit before your are fired.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Just saw this on Twitter: "The Anchorage Hockey Association is planning a rally Wednesday from 4-7 p.m. at City Hall (632 West 6th Avenue) to protest the use of Sullivan Arena and Ben Boeke Ice Arena as homeless shelters as well as the elimination of UAA hockey". I'm assuming this is TOMORROW?

Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Just saw this on Twitter: "The Anchorage Hockey Association is planning a rally Wednesday from 4-7 p.m. at City Hall (632 West 6th Avenue) to protest the use of Sullivan Arena and Ben Boeke Ice Arena as homeless shelters as well as the elimination of UAA hockey". I'm assuming this is TOMORROW?
            They need to have a better plan for dealing with the homeless issue if they’re gonna do this, because right now it looks like the typical Anchorage NIMBY “we need to deal with this just not here” attitude BS.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

They need to have a better plan for dealing with the homeless issue if they’re gonna do this, because right now it looks like the typical Anchorage NIMBY “we need to deal with this just not here” attitude BS.
              And of course, it turned out to be exactly that: A bunch of people whining that the rinks have been repurposed for a greater need in the middle of a f-ing pandemic and offering zero alternatives.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

And of course, it turned out to be exactly that: A bunch of people whining that the rinks have been repurposed for a greater need in the middle of a f-ing pandemic and offering zero alternatives.
                THE Dump Bears party like D-3 street people.......2 weeks time out for being stupid for starters ...remember you are still 45 games behind UAA in heads up play....... no matter what caren spouts.
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

• UAF hockey team quarantined after player tests positive for COVID-19 following off-campus gathering

The entire University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team is in quarantine because at least one player has tested positive for COVID-19 following an off-campus social gathering Aug. 22 attended by several student athletes.

UAF Chancellor Dan White and Vice Chancellor Keith Champagne announced the hockey team’s quarantine at a Saturday news conference. White also said student athletes from other unspecified sports were also in isolation because they also were at the private event held at the home of one of the Nanook hockey players.

“Because the hockey team, as a team, the possibility of having had close interactions, that team was put into quarantine as a precaution,” White said in the news conference held by video.

“That’s not to say, though, that the whole team was at that gathering, but that team has been interacting over the last couple weeks and there’s the potential they would have been in what’s called close contact in the last couple weeks.

“And that team for that reason was quarantined ,” he said.

Twenty-one players on the hockey roster are in 14-day quarantine, as are six other student athletes. It was not immediately clear when the quarantine began or whether any of the coaching staff is in quarantine,

In an email notice sent to wide UAF community Saturday, White wrote that, “Several individuals who attended this event have since tested positive for COVID-19. As a result of this, a number of our students are in quarantine; two of them, because they tested COVID-19 positive, are in isolation.”

Seven student athletes tested positive for COVID-19 in the seven days following the Aug. 22 gathering, according to information provided by UAF spokeswoman Marmian Grimes later Saturday. She cautioned that UAF does not know whether students contracted the virus at that event.

The number of hockey players and other student athletes who attended the party wasn’t available during the news conference.

“I think it’s our expectation that there were multiple student athletes, but the exact number is a number that the contact tracers have,” White said “We know there were multiple athletes. What specific sports , I don’t have exact numbers with me on which sports were represented

Champagne, when asked if any coaches or UAF supervisory staff were at the gathering, said, “Absolutely not. No official athletics coaches or staff were present at this gathering.”

Champagne called the gathering an episode of “poor judgment” by students.

“We do have a student conduct process that is done through our Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, and they are currently investigating,” he said. “We do entitle students to their rights of full due process as we conduct our investigation.

“Upon conclusion of the investigation, then the Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities will meet with the students involved, and they will decide what university regulations and or mandates were violated,” he said.

Students could receive a verbal warning or be suspended or expelled from UAF, Champagne said.

In another incident, UAF also distributed a campus alert regarding a person at the Student Recreation Center who tested positive for COVID-19 and warning that anyone who was at the center on the following dates and times may be a close contact of the infected person: Friday, Aug. 21, 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday, Aug. 22, 6:30-10 p.m.; Sunday, Aug. 23, 2-7 p.m.; Monday, Aug. 24, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Tuesday, Aug. 25, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Overall, White said 37 students, including the student athletes, are in quarantine. Six students have tested positive for the virus.

Contact Editor Rod Boyce at 459-7585. Follow him on Twitter: @FDNMeditor.

Comment

• UAF hockey team in quarantine after 6 players test positive for COVID-19

Author: Beth Bragg/Anchorage Daily News

The entire University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team is either in quarantine or isolation after at least one player tested positive for COVID-19 after attending an off-campus party, UAF administrators said Saturday.

In total, six hockey players and an athlete from another UAF team have tested positive for the disease in the days after the Aug. 22 party, and they are now in isolation.

Another 21 hockey players plus six other athletes and head hockey coach Erik Largen are quarantined until at least Sept. 5 because of their exposure to those with COVID-19, the school said.

Multiple athletes from multiple sports attended the party, UAF chancellor Dan White said during an afternoon media briefing.

“It was poor judgment,” Nanooks athletic director Keith Champagne said.

The school said it doesn’t know if all the athletes who tested positive also attended the party, and that any connection between the cases remains unclear at this time.

UAF also doesn’t know if the entire hockey team was at the party, but all of the players are in quarantine because they have been in close contact with each other, CHe said students this school year are expected to abide by school policies subjecting them to all federal, state, local and university mandates and protocol regarding COVID-19. Students living on campus must sign a pledge agreeing to those mandates and guidelines, he said.

In the section covering activities and socializing, the pledge said social distancing doesn’t just mean staying 6 feet away from people: “It means keeping your social circles small and consistent and avoiding large gatherings of people. It means meeting virtually when possible and limiting the number of times you visit public places.”

Champagne said the majority of the hockey players who tested positive have moved into Stevens Hall, which is being used for on-campus residents who have COVID-19. Those who live off-campus will isolate at their residences.

A total of 15 UAF students are currently isolated with COVID-19 and another 37 are currently quarantined because they have been exposed to the virus, the school said.

No coaches were at the party, administrators said, but Largen is also quarantined because he’s been in close contact with the players.

Additionally, UAF sent a message to Student Recreation Center users outlining dates and times — from Aug. 21 to 25 — of potential exposure at the center to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

Those who went to the party could face discipline if it’s determined they violated university rules or mandates about COVID-19. The school’s Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities is investigating, and discipline could range from verbal warnings to suspension or expulsion, Champagne said.

The Nanooks aren’t expected to play any games until late this year or early next year, because the pandemic has caused delays to college sports across the nation, White said. Sports facilities won’t be available to UAF teams until after Labor Day.

[Because of a high volume of comments requiring moderation, we are temporarily disabling comments on many of our articles so editors can focus on the coronavirus crisis and other coverage. We invite you to write a letter to the editor or reach out directly if you’d like to communicate with us about a particular article. Thanks.]

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                      UAF hockey team in quarantine after 6 players test positive for COVID-19

Author: Beth Bragg/Anchorage Daily News

The entire University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team is either in quarantine or isolation after at least one player tested positive for COVID-19 after attending an off-campus party, UAF administrators said Saturday.

In total, six hockey players and an athlete from another UAF team have tested positive for the disease in the days after the Aug. 22 party, and they are now in isolation.

Another 21 hockey players plus six other athletes and head hockey coach Erik Largen are quarantined until at least Sept. 5 because of their exposure to those with COVID-19, the school said.

Multiple athletes from multiple sports attended the party, UAF chancellor Dan White said during an afternoon media briefing.

“It was poor judgment,” Nanooks athletic director Keith Champagne said.

The school said it doesn’t know if all the athletes who tested positive also attended the party, and that any connection between the cases remains unclear at this time.

UAF also doesn’t know if the entire hockey team was at the party, but all of the players are in quarantine because they have been in close contact with each other, CHe said students this school year are expected to abide by school policies subjecting them to all federal, state, local and university mandates and protocol regarding COVID-19. Students living on campus must sign a pledge agreeing to those mandates and guidelines, he said.

In the section covering activities and socializing, the pledge said social distancing doesn’t just mean staying 6 feet away from people: “It means keeping your social circles small and consistent and avoiding large gatherings of people. It means meeting virtually when possible and limiting the number of times you visit public places.”

Champagne said the majority of the hockey players who tested positive have moved into Stevens Hall, which is being used for on-campus residents who have COVID-19. Those who live off-campus will isolate at their residences.

A total of 15 UAF students are currently isolated with COVID-19 and another 37 are currently quarantined because they have been exposed to the virus, the school said.

No coaches were at the party, administrators said, but Largen is also quarantined because he’s been in close contact with the players.

Additionally, UAF sent a message to Student Recreation Center users outlining dates and times — from Aug. 21 to 25 — of potential exposure at the center to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

Those who went to the party could face discipline if it’s determined they violated university rules or mandates about COVID-19. The school’s Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities is investigating, and discipline could range from verbal warnings to suspension or expulsion, Champagne said.

The Nanooks aren’t expected to play any games until late this year or early next year, because the pandemic has caused delays to college sports across the nation, White said. Sports facilities won’t be available to UAF teams until after Labor Day.

[Because of a high volume of comments requiring moderation, we are temporarily disabling comments on many of our articles so editors can focus on the coronavirus crisis and other coverage. We invite you to write a letter to the editor or reach out directly if you’d like to communicate with us about a particular article. Thanks.]

classic dump bear ......... probally the nail in no sports year. thanks banks

Comment

• All it takes is one school with a high profile and a brave president/AD/head coach to cancel their sport's season because of asinine behavior.

Nick Saban could pull it off. There might be riots though.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post

classic dump bear ......... probally the nail in no sports year. thanks banks
                          Or, there's no adverse health affects for anyone involved and people stop losing their minds over this crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

Or, there's no adverse health affects for anyone involved and people stop losing their minds over this crap.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Another bus league medical expert. you payin for every team.... everybody testing every 10 days at 250 a ram up the snott locker. I thought so......sit back down and mask up.

Comment

No adverse health effects eh? What about the fact that 15% of all BIG10 athletes that have tested positive for Covid have now developed myocarditis? And, if you try and tell us that myocarditis isn't an adverse health effect, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Working...
                                X