BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I was on it. The league is still working on their start plans (the current draft is 32 pages long). The plan is to start when they can, be it November, December or even the beginning of January. Some teams may start earlier than other based on governmental restrictions. With the possible exception of Harvard in the Beanpot, the only games will be against other Hockey East teams, although some may be non-conference. Coach O'Connell mentioned the possibility of up to 4 games played in a week if COVID causes a team to have to reschedule games. The NCAA selection are also still under discussion. On idea is to take the the top two teams from each conference (supported by the WCHA and Atlantic Hockey), but no decisions have been made.

As for the team, they are currently practicing at WBA and are using the two visitor locker rooms and the Sidd-Daniels Lounge. BU is planning to make the lounge into more of a real locker room. The team currenlt is split into three groups for using the weight and training room and players are spread out 14 feet apart. On ice the team is currently split into two groups, plus coaches. Coach O'Connell is concerned about the lack of depth on defense and Jake Witkowski is currently practicing with the defense and looks pretty good. Albie mentioned bringing in a defensemen for the second semester is a possibility. As for forwards, he said everyone is healthy and looking good. Skoog has gained about 20 pounds and lowered his body fat percentage (according to Albie his weight had been 182). He was also happy with the three goalies.

With all but the 2 possible Beanpot games at the Garden, every other game will be available on CBS All-Access as they will be streaming every Hockey East team home game. There are currently no plans for allowing fans at games. Even if fans will be allowed in next year BU will not count this year against anyone who passes on season tickets.
    Besides Skoog, O'Connell mentioned Ethan Phillips and Alex Vlasic as sophomores who've come back bigger and stronger. And that juniors Jake Wise and Jack DeBoer, who missed time last year with injuries, are both healthy as is Ty Amonte who missed all of last season. Transfers Jay O'Brien and Max Kaufman were briefly on the Zoom, discussing their assimilation into Terrier hockey. O'Brien is expected to play center while Kaufman can play all three forward spots. The 7 Terriers who recently returned from Jr. National Team evaluation camp were tested and have been quarantined. Jr. Nat'l coach Nate Leaman said that "Drew Commesso had a heckuva camp also."

More takeaways tinyurl.com/y6oum4d5
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I was on it. The league is still working on their start plans (the current draft is 32 pages long). The plan is to start when they can, be it November, December or even the beginning of January. Some teams may start earlier than other based on governmental restrictions. With the possible exception of Harvard in the Beanpot, the only games will be against other Hockey East teams, although some may be non-conference. Coach O'Connell mentioned the possibility of up to 4 games played in a week if COVID causes a team to have to reschedule games. The NCAA selection are also still under discussion. On idea is to take the the top two teams from each conference (supported by the WCHA and Atlantic Hockey), but no decisions have been made.

As for the team, they are currently practicing at WBA and are using the two visitor locker rooms and the Sidd-Daniels Lounge. BU is planning to make the lounge into more of a real locker room. The team currenlt is split into three groups for using the weight and training room and players are spread out 14 feet apart. On ice the team is currently split into two groups, plus coaches. Coach O'Connell is concerned about the lack of depth on defense and Jake Witkowski is currently practicing with the defense and looks pretty good. Albie mentioned bringing in a defensemen for the second semester is a possibility. As for forwards, he said everyone is healthy and looking good. Skoog has gained about 20 pounds and lowered his body fat percentage (according to Albie his weight had been 182). He was also happy with the three goalies.

With all but the 2 possible Beanpot games at the Garden, every other game will be available on CBS All-Access as they will be streaming every Hockey East team home game. There are currently no plans for allowing fans at games. Even if fans will be allowed in next year BU will not count this year against anyone who passes on season tickets.

Now I have a question: Has anyone been watching the games I uploaded to my Google Drive? I'm glad I converted them all to digital files and made them available to everyone, but it woul dbe since to know they are being watched.

Sean

Sean - I admittedly have not watched any of your archived games lately, after binging on them a couple months ago. I tend to go in waves, and with a new job and my oldest an on-campus freshman at UConn, etc., I haven't jumped back into them yet. But as you know, having those games available is such a treat partly because I was able to get rid of all my old VHS tapes :-).
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Now I have a question: Has anyone been watching the games I uploaded to my Google Drive? I'm glad I converted them all to digital files and made them available to everyone, but it woul dbe since to know they are being watched.

Sean

I dont get why some games would be non-conference. Why not just make all games conference games and they all count. They should scrap trying to have an NCAA tournament. Don’t see it working logistically. Same with trying to have fans at games. This year isn’t going to be normal and folks in charge need to come to grips with that.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I dont get why some games would be non-conference. Why not just make all games conference games and they all count. They should scrap trying to have an NCAA tournament. Don’t see it working logistically. Same with trying to have fans at games. This year isn’t going to be normal and folks in charge need to come to grips with that.
          Well, why have a season if everyone agrees there shouldn't be an NCAA tournament? What's the point of all of the protocols, restrictions, and everything necessary to make a regular season happening if you tell everyone the big prize isn't even on the table?

We don't know where Covid therapeutics will be in late March/early April but for the sake of argument, let's say it's exactly where we are today. It would not be a huge effort to create a bubble environment for a 16-team single-elimination tournament. One bubble each in the east and west for the regionals and two weeks later one for the FF. There's plenty of time to have the entry protocols for both and there wouldn't be extended periods of isolation as each bubble would only have two rounds played over 2-3 days, and teams who advance to the FF would have the opportunity to go home in between then reenter the FF bubble the following week.

There's clear playbooks now on how to do this from the NBA and NHL and return zero positive tests. If planned right, it would not be a gargantuan effort.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Jay O’Brien tells NEHJ about off-season surgery for torn abs and about his expected role on the Terriers. Four-year $14.75M contract for Bs' Matt Grzelcyk. tinyurl.com/y4hwytot

Comment

• 25 years ago today.... I remember it like it was yesterday. An incredibly exciting day that turned on a dime and turned into an incredibly sad day.

The weeks and months that followed showed the good side of the human spirit and how amazing the hockey community is.

Stay strong Travis. Terrier Nation loves you.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/10/...fe-travis-roy/

It Happened!!!!

Comment

• I was sitting in the office at the ice arena, meeting the new manager. It was a Monday afternoon in November of my senior year in high school. Suddenly a thundering came from the stairs outside Lee's office. A head of blonde hair appeared briefly and Lee said, "10 minutes," and the door closed followed by the another round of thunder as the person descended the old wooden stairs. "That was my son, Travis." Lee had to make ice before North Yarmouth Academy's teams began practice, but Travis had 10 minutes and he used them. He didn't change; just put on his skates and was off in his street clothes. I imagine it was like watching Picasso paint. He was a scrawny little kid, but even then you could see this one was special. Fast forward 12 months to my freshman year at UMaine. I arranged tickets for Lee and Travis to take in a game at Alfond. If Lee hadn't been standing next to him I never would have recognized Travis. That scrawny little kid was suddenly several inches taller than me and built like a tank.

There ended up being a massive recruiting war between UMaine and BU, but it was always going to be the Terriers. Travis had grown up in a rural setting and yearned for the city. That didn't stop Shawn Walsh from trying though. On the first morning coaches were permitted to begin recruiting, Lee received a phone call. After some small talk, Shawn said, "You know why I'm calling. I don't suppose he's up yet." 'Not yet' "Let me know when he gets up." 'Do you want him to call you at home or the office?' "No, just open the front door. I'm in the driveway with coffee and doughnuts."

A few remembrances from 25 years ago. These were scraped from the old Maine College Hockey Discussion List. Some of you might recognize your own words.

At 1:56 of the first period, just 11 seconds after starting his first shift in an NCAA Division I hockey game Travis Roy fell into the boards head first and fractured his fourth cervical vertebra. Ironically, the injury occurred almost directly beneath the just raised 1995 NCAA Championship Banner.

A Terrier had just dumped the puck into the UND zone after a center ice faceoff, which Mitch Vig gathered in and shot around the backboards. Travis attempted to put a shoulder hit on Vig, but he only made incidental contact, lost his balance and as he fell, his head hit the boards and was snapped backwards. Travis' body went completely limp as he fell to the ice in an unnatural position.

Shortly after the game BU's team doctor, Dr. Anthony Schepsis, gave a short press conference on Travis' injury and condition. He said that Travis had a fracture of the fourth cervical vertebra with complete paralysis below that level at the time, future testing being necessary. He also said Roy was still in spinal shock and anything can happen, but statistics on this type of injury are not good.

When asked about the time frame for possible recovery, Dr Schepsis replied in a couple of days for major recovery, after that changes in levels below the C4 level are possible. He further added that Travis will require surgery in the future. One local TV station reported that Travis will undergo surgery either Saturday or Sunday.

Dr Schepsis was also asked if Travis lost consciousness. He replied that Travis remained conscious the entire time and he also added that that his breathing and circulatory system were stable after the injury. Travis was taken to Boston City Hospital and was in stable condition in ICU. Travis' family and high school coach were at the game and went with him to the hospital.

Well, tonight's game was to be a special one for the Terriers, as BU raised three banners to the ceiling in honor of their successful season last year. And the Terriers certainly looked ready to defend their title, as Chris O'Sullivan jammed home the first goal less than 2 minutes into the game. However, only seconds later, an event occurred which marred the game and cetainly set a mellow tone for the rest of the game. Following the face-off after the goal, Travis Roy chased the puck into the UND zone and prepared to check one of the UND defenders. However, after a glancing hit, Travis lost his balance and slammed head first into the boards, immediately dropping motionless to the ice. The longer it took for the attending staff to move him, the more concerned the fans became. I was sitting in Section 6, which is one section away from the corner in which the crash took place. Travis was on the ice for a good twenty minutes, and I never saw one move. Just minutes ago (it is now almost midnight) 7 News in Boston reported from Boston City Hospital that Travis has fractured the fourth cervical vertebrae in his neck. Nurses have reported that there he has no feeling and cannot move from that point down. I will give details of the rest of the game later, if no one else beats me to it, but I would just like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to keep Travis in their thoughts and prayers. Being from Maine, I played soccer against Travis in high school, and know him to be a great athlete and competitor. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family right now, and I hope that he can pull through.

In light of what has happened, this is really such an insignificant thing, but I feel it cannot go unnoticed. WABU-TV68 deserves much respect from us for their handling of the awful injury to BU's Travis Roy tonight. Granted, it was a BU player, but still, they went above and beyond the call of duty. I arrived home after midnight from the Merrimack-Providence game and rewound the tape to find out what the final score was. I was shocked to hear of a "serious injury" that had Travis in Boston City Hospital, and even more shocked as the tape went on (late in the third period) and I discovered what had happened. At first I had no idea what they were talking about. WABU stayed on the air for about a half hour after the game to provide as much information as they could about Travis' condition. At least for this game, WABU had a lot of announcers, including Howard Green and Dave Silk back at the studio, Mike Eruzione on color, and a woman doing commentary from the bench area. It seemed to me that all were trying to do their job but were having trouble talking about the other aspects of the game in light of the situation that had occurred. I thought I could sense them trembling as they discussed the incident, and I felt myself doing the same as I watched the replay. The replay of the injury was only shown once in the postgame, but that was enough. It was nothing more than a fluke play...the kind that every parent has nightmares about when his or her child plays sports. An ND player was getting the puck out of the corner in his end and Roy went to check him, and as the player dodged him, Travis lost his balance just a bit and hit the boards head first, then fell to the ice without moving. It's not easy to type this, visualizing the replay in my mind. In case anyone was wondering, Travis was not pushed, checked or tripped into the boards...he simply lost his balance. Although I did not see Chris O'Sullivan's injury a couple of seasons ago, it was apparently very similar to that. Something hopeful is that O'Sullivan recovered and is of course back playing. I don't know exactly how similar the two injuries were, however. As some have mentioned, WABU brought us an interview with the BU doctor, I believe, who immediately attended to Travis on the ice. His prognosis has been mentioned here so I will not repeat it, other than to say that it did not sound good. If there is something to be thankful about, it is that although these injuries can be life threatening, Travis was apparently conscious the whole time and quite aware of what was going on. And as I was trying to explain, I think that WABU's handling of the situation was very professional and sensitive from what I saw of it (mostly just the postgame). I don't really know what to say in response to this whole thing. I want to say that we wish him the best and a speedy recovery, but it is difficult when the prognosis I've heard so far is not good - it almost makes those words sound empty and meaningless. But, the only other thought I have is this: I know many people out there have some hatred towards BU and the BU program. I don't know how much that will change, but it bothers me that people feel that way when the program has gone through the things they have suffered in recent years, including the death of former Terrier Kevin Mutch a few years ago while he was crossing a street on Cape Cod; the bicycle accident of J.P. McKersie; and now this. The point is, like the players and programs that you and I follow, these are real people, with hopes and dreams and families and friends. No one deserves to have this happen - not Jack Parker, nor BU, nor least of all, the people who it happened to.
                I have known Travis for 5 years, watched him play at Yarmouth and NYA, before he went to Tabor, and recently spoke with his father, who also serves as the rink manager at NYA's Ice Arena (Ed note: The arena now bears his name). Throughout the conversation, which focused mostly on Travis, there was a gleam in his eye and I could tell how proud he was of his son, and how much he was looking forward to see Travis follow in his footsteps as a college hockey player. I was stunned when I heard the story on the radio this morning. Travis has always been a good kid, strong, intelligent and fun to watch on the ice. If any of the Bostonians on here could email me the address of Boston City Hospital, and if at all possible his room number, I would greatly appreciate it. I figure I am one of the BU-bashers Mike referred to in his post, and I admit I have said some things in the past, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I had actually intended to post a piece today about J.P.'s comeback...for him to be back on his feet is incredible, to be playing again is a miracle; which is what we must hope for now in Travis' case. I am hopeful that having Chris O'Sullivan and J.P. around will help Travis through this horrible time. They were not expected to come back either, but they have. I hope that there is one more miracle left for Travis.
                This is a follow-up to Arthur Berman's report on the BU-North Dakota game -- specifically the injury to BU freshman Travis Roy. My brother Rob (BU '94) and I attended the game tonight to witness the banner-raising and welcome the new college hockey season (I can't believe I still have to wait two more weeks to see the Crimson!), but our celebration was sobered by the serious injury to Roy. Soon after the Terrier's first goal, Roy lined up a Sioux defenseman for a hit in the corner. The intended recipient (I forgot his name) was able to slip away and, as a result, Roy lost his balance and ploughed head-first into the boards. The BU forward lay motionless on the ice while he was tended to and an ambulance was called. The game was delayed for about 17 minutes until they were able to wheel him off the ice. The diagnosis, according to a post-game statement made on WABU by the doctor who treated Roy, was a broken fourth vertebra resulting in complete paralysis from the neck down. The doctor said that it would take time to determine the extent of recovery possible and that surgery is a certainty. Travis Roy is listed in serious but stable condition at Boston City Hospital. Our prayers are with him.
                At last year's championship, we sat next to a high school senior named Travis Roy. He was a very smart, mature kid who had a single dream that would shortly be fulfilled: to play hockey for BU. He had already committed, and all throughout the game, while not saying anything about playing for BU in the 95-96 season, I could see in his eyes that he was imagining himself out on the ice. Travis didn't want to be out there for the fame, didn't want to be there to help him go pro -- he just wanted to play for Boston U. Just wanted to play hockey. In his first game at BU's Walter Brown Arena, the season opener, Travis took to the ice as a member of the second line, seconds after Chris O'Sullivan poured in the first goal. 20 seconds into his shift wearing the red and white, freshman Travis Roy played tough. After a solid shoulder check against the boards to an opposing North Dakota player, Travis lost his balance -- not surprising, as it was a good hit -- and as he fell to the ice, knocked his chin on the shelf above the boards. This was enough to snap his head backward, severely damaging the vertebrae in his neck. Play stopped for 30 minutes as he was examined, neck stabilized, and removed on a board from the ice. Shortly after the game I learned that if he's lucky (best-possible scenario), Travis will be able to begin skating in approximately 9-12 months. Unfortunately, the much more likely, and worst-case scenario is that Travis will be paralyzed from this incident. Last word I heard tonight was that even a near recovery is highly unlikely. He goes in for surgery on Saturday or Sunday. I ask all you Hockey-L'ers to save a place in your hearts, prayers, or thoughts for Travis Roy. He can use whatever help we can give.
                As my eleven year old son (he in his Terrier jersey and 1995 NCAA Championship Cap) and I drove up to Boston yesterday afternoon, we talked non-stop about the home opener against North Dakota. How great it would be to see the banners go up; how great it would be to see the Terriers open the season; and how great it would be to see the Terriers take on, and, we hoped, beat what looked to us to be a good Fighting Sioux team. Three hours in the car and through dinner, we looked forward to the game. Through the first minute and fifty seconds. Then I saw Travis Roy hit the boards. From where we were sitting in Section 11, I knew as soon as he hit the boards that he was badly hurt and held my breath while hoping against hope that he would just get up and skate back to the bench. By now you all know that he did not. Since that moment, Roy has been in our minds and in every conversation. All through the game, my son wanted to know how Roy was, or would be. All the way back to New York this afternoon, we talked about Roy, his feelings and those of his parents and siblings. I have already read this afternoon the very kind, and philosophical remarks from Hockey-Lers around the country, fans, students, and alumni of different schools. It doesn't matter who you like, or where you went to school. An injury like this breaks the heart of every college hockey fan. We all wish Travis the best in his coming battle to recover, and our hearts go out to his family, the rest of the BU hockey family, and the college hockey family, of which we consider ourselves a part.
                I was at the BU vs. North Dakota game this past Friday. It was a wonderful moment when we raised the championship banners and scored a quick goal to start off the season, but the celebration came to a quick halt after that. I was in the first row of Section 7 leaning against the boards when I saw Travis Roy's tragic accident. It was literally 15 feet in front of me, and I cannot tell you guys how devestating and horrific it was to watch. When we all saw him lying on the ice and not moving, our hearts dropped. Seeing everyone on Hockey-L writing all those wonderful comments and sending their prayers and wishes has been incredibly touching and respectful. I know it is a difficult time for his family and friends, but with the support from the BU fans and fans nationwide, I'm hopeful things work out for him in the end.

The Travis Roy Foundation is asking all family, friends and fans to use #TRF25 on Twitter to share stories about Travis and the Foundation.

A selfish part of me feels cheated. I loved watching Travis skate. I loved watching him play hockey. There isn't a person who knows him who doubts for a moment that he would have made it to the NHL. We were robbed of that. But then one has to consider what kind of substantial impact even the best hockey player in the world can make in the lives of others. Then look at everything Travis has accomplished for people all over the globe, who may never have seen a hockey game before. They have a ramp, a lift or some other piece of equipment that makes their life better. That will be Travis' legacy and it's hard to imagine a more meaningful one to leave behind.

Comment

• foh always did a 50/50. after the accident the 50/50 became one for the roy family and pots were big. early on a number called for the winner was sitting near mr. roy. he stood up and motioned for mr. roy to come get the winning ticket. going forward that became a pretty common occurence.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    foh always did a 50/50. after the accident the 50/50 became one for the roy family and pots were big. early on a number called for the winner was sitting near mr. roy. he stood up and motioned for mr. roy to come get the winning ticket. going forward that became a pretty common occurence.
                    That happened the section next to me. He didn't motion for Mr. Roy. He got up, walked over, handed him the ticket and walked back to his seat. Didn't say a word. Amazing.

Comment

• Due to an uptick in Covid cases on campus--not in the hockey program--BU temporarily pauses all in-person team activities, including practices and training sessions. Will re-evaluate next week. tinyurl.com/y4fmhdbm

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

That happened the section next to me. He didn't motion for Mr. Roy. He got up, walked over, handed him the ticket and walked back to his seat. Didn't say a word. Amazing.
                        Yah well mookie’s eyes never been that good
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Thanks for the post ticapnews. A powerful and emotional read. The hockey community shined in the hours, days, and months following the tragic events of October 20th, 1995. That part is a positive memory.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

Well, why have a season if everyone agrees there shouldn't be an NCAA tournament? What's the point of all of the protocols, restrictions, and everything necessary to make a regular season happening if you tell everyone the big prize isn't even on the table?

We don't know where Covid therapeutics will be in late March/early April but for the sake of argument, let's say it's exactly where we are today. It would not be a huge effort to create a bubble environment for a 16-team single-elimination tournament. One bubble each in the east and west for the regionals and two weeks later one for the FF. There's plenty of time to have the entry protocols for both and there wouldn't be extended periods of isolation as each bubble would only have two rounds played over 2-3 days, and teams who advance to the FF would have the opportunity to go home in between then reenter the FF bubble the following week.

There's clear playbooks now on how to do this from the NBA and NHL and return zero positive tests. If planned right, it would not be a gargantuan effort.
                            Read something that clarified this a bit over the weekend...Hockey East is going to try to play 20 conference games with some extra weekends built into the schedule in case teams have Covid issues. If everything goes smoothly and teams have open dates they will play non-conference/exhibition games against other teams in Hockey East. The reason they didn’t schedule more league games is so every team is able to complete their 20 games. I think it makes a lot more after hearing more.

I’d be surprised if there is an NCAA tournament this year. The logistics would be tough to pull off and I’m not sure financially how much appetite there will be for one. For me the big prize will be winning Hockey East, which is fine.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Former St. Cloud All-American Bobby Goepfert replaces Brian Ecklund as BU's volunteer assistant goalie coach.
                              https://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/2...volunteer.html

Comment

• Just got the email from the AD saying no fans at hockey or basketball this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X