Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    [FONT=Arial]1968-69

Best at two positions: Hyndman (led ECAC in scoring as rookie/soph RW; All-American on D as senior)
    Chris O'Sullivan was also a strong performer at 2 positions. D as RS freshman, All-American wing as soph on '95 NC team. Other multi-position players: Ken Rauch, Bryan Miller, Ahti Oksanen.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
      On the flip side of what defkit started, if you could pick a first and second team of underachieving/disappointing players (in relation to expectations/projected impact) that have been at BU since you started watching them play, what would it look like? Same parameters - 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie.

Since 1992:

1st team:
      F - Nick Gillis, Gregg Johnson, Yasin Cisse
      D - John MacLeod, Stephen Foster
      G - Karson Gillespie

2nd team:
      F - Wesley Myron, Scott Perry, Andrew Glass
      D - Dan McGoff, Jeff Kealty
      G - Grant Rollheiser

(Less than) honorable mention:
      F - Justin Maiser, John Sabo, Corey Trivino
      D - Alexx Privitera, Kasper Kotkansalo
      G - Jason Tapp

- I didn't think Foster came with high expectations, but I didn't really follow the recruiting scene back then.
      - Guys like Maiser and Sabo had solid years, but expectations were higher.
      - In addition to Mookie's mention of Roche, a name that came to my mind was Sam Kurker.
      - Oh and hey, we can't forget about Brett Bennett
      - I wouldn't have included Privitera - at least in terms of skill. If looked really good right around the time he started to lose his mind on the ice.

Half this list could be on the "thought they were better than they were so they left, should have stayed in school" list. I give credit to guys like Kealty and MacLeod who stuck it out despite some clear disappointments with their play.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

- I didn't think Foster came with high expectations, but I didn't really follow the recruiting scene back then.
        - In addition to Mookie's mention of Roche, a name that came to my mind was Sam Kurker.
        - I wouldn't have included Privitera - at least in terms of skill. If looked really good right around the time he started to lose his mind on the ice.

Half this list could be on the "thought they were better than they were so they left, should have stayed in school" list. I give credit to guys like Kealty and MacLeod who stuck it out despite some clear disappointments with their play.
        Didn't Yasin have an early injury that he never really rebounded from? Tough breaks for sure there.

Comment

I gave strong consideration to putting Roche on my list. Solid Freshman year on a bad team, bad Sophomore year on an improved team, had a great 2nd half of his Jr. year, and then was just meh his Sr. year.

Thanks for reminding me about Kurker (2nd round pick by STL) as well as Bennett.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Didn't Yasin have an early injury that he never really rebounded from? Tough breaks for sure there.
            Yes he was derailed by major injuries. But based on my understanding, his attitude & work ethic apparently left much to be desired.

Comment

• per Mark Divver- Vinnie Pupura headed to LIU-
              did he play enough to have to sit out a season
              rumor has it LIU playing bu- replacement fro Northern Michigan?
              Not a peep on schedule if there are games

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                per Mark Divver- Vinnie Pupura headed to LIU-
                did he play enough to have to sit out a season
                Certainly not a surprise. Now we have 3 goalies. Good luck to Vinny (other than if/when playing BU of course). No idea if he will have to sit out.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Maiser seemed poised be a leader on offense after a strong finish to his sophomore season, but left school for the WHL. (There were rumors about allergies to the classroom). Hearing his name always recalls his hat trick against BC in the 2003 HE semi, including the tying goal and double OT game-winner. BU lost to UNH in the final, 1-0, also in OT. IIRC, a shot that went of Whitney's stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1536BgGYQ
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOqJhpbNYE

Maiser was part of a heralded "Fab Five" recruit class in 2001 that included four NTDP players, Maiser, McConnell, Whitney and Miller. The fifth was David Klema, who was reportedly a strong playmaker, but he certainly fits in with disappoints group. He was "removed" from the team just prior to his senior season. "Coach's decision" was the only reason given.
                  Last edited by Rogie21; 06-13-2020, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                    I doubt we'll hear a peep on the schedule for some time. State to state travel has too many restrictions for teams to confidently build schedules.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• At this time I'm working on cleaning up the games already on my Google drive, which is going slower than I'd like as I'm also saving intermission ephemera I think might be of interest and uploading it to my YouTube channel. I'm also revisiting the games I first cleaned up, as I left in intermission stuff in some of them, but with space now a concern I'm making the game files smaller by removing said stuff (for example, I reduced the size of the 2002 Beanpot Championship game by 3.1 GB) and putting the ephemera on my YouTube channel. The channel currenty has 125 extras, mostly ephemera from game intermissions, but also a few other things that I recorded before or after games. I've also updated the spreadsheet so that BU games are now separate from non-BU games (in preparation for when I remove at least some of the non-BU games from the drive) and I added a sheet with all the non-BU hockey highlights on my YouTube channel.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I doubt we'll hear a peep on the schedule for some time. State to state travel has too many restrictions for teams to confidently build schedules.
                        No word here about NMU/BU
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Sabres have fired GM Jason Botterill and Buffalo News reports that former BU AHC Steve Greeley, who was a Sabres assistant gm, also was axed.

Comment

• Seven current Terriers plus Zegras named to 43-man USA Hockey roster for the World Junior Summer Showcase: Returnees Mastrosimone, McCarthy, Fensore, Vlasic and incoming freshmen Commesso, Peterson and Tuch. Starts July 24 in Michigan.
                            https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1109598
                            https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2020wjssroster

Comment

• Has anyone heard any news (rumors) about the schedule for 2020-21? Or whether there will be a season?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                                Has anyone heard any news (rumors) about the schedule for 2020-21? Or whether there will be a season?
                                I don't think there has been any news that I'm aware of, but for what it is worth there is some movement starting to show up in college sports in general that as a minimum things won't be "business as usual".

Bowdoin (D3 I know) has canceled all fall sports (with the possibility of competitions beginning after Jan 1, 2021). The Patriot League released a statement about how no teams will fly to compete and also no overnight travel (or something to that effect). MIT has announced that fall semester will be in some sort of modified or hybrid model which I would think would have to affect athletics.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Comment

Working...
                                X